What's new

Free DOOM Drone From The Most Gorgeous Synth Ever???

SupremeFist

but can't we also attribute to luck the way we are born?
Our talent, dedication to hard work, intelligence, looks, the family we are born in (the kind of parents we have) and numerous other things that in addition to many other factors, also makes every one of us the people we are??
Absolutely: this is why modern philosophical ethics has "moral luck" as a hot topic.

JonS

As a backgammon player (one of the most ancient games in the world) I see it more to do with increasing your odds, switching from offensive to defensive, adjusting your position within the hierarchy so that whatever dice are rolled you are able to adjust your tactic to overcome your opponent.

I am of the view that successful people, and by that I mean people who become successful and stay successful, usually have had their fair share of bad luck as well as good. The most learned of us after all, tend to have had the most lessons.

I think we judge success as a single hierarchy. Where you sit at any given time. For me I would judge it on a whole portfolio of context and achievement.

Steve Jobs could be considered hugely successful, but when bearing in mind that he wasn't born into famine in sub-Saharan brush land AND was a pretty shit Dad to his eldest daughter tends to temper my opinion of him somewhat. I imagine someone further back in his lineage may have suffered more so that he could go to Stanford and ignore the responsibility of being a father.
I love backgammon too, Christian!! I know quite a bit about metaphysics, and once one understands the implications of the timing of their birth through mathematics & charts it becomes much easier to ascertain why certain people have a huge predisposition to succeed in ways others never will ie. Bill Gates, Michael Dell, The Rolling Stones, etc.... Being born with or having partners with several Golden linkages (Jupiter-Pluto, Venus-Pluto, Jupiter-Chiron, Venus-Chiron, Pluto-Chiron) are one of the more powerful indicators of the potential for success, fame, wealth and power. No one to my knowledge can control when they were born after the fact, so this essential event becomes the most dramatic echo of our future destined outcomes.

Of course, I agree that each individual should do as much as they can to prepare for and foster the success they may experience throughout their lifetime be it planned or not, but wither one succeeds at a high level or not has much more to do with energies out of our control than in them IMHO. Deciding to go to kitchen to retrieve an apple 🍎 from the fridge is a plan almost anyone can succeed at 100% of the time. However, planning to become the next Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Albert Einstein, Napoleon, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Pablo Picasso, Mick Jagger, or Hans Zimmer are not even remotely as easy to achieve no matter how hard one tries. The whole world of 7.8 billion people would love to be rich, yet only 2,825 individuals have achieved billionaire status owning more wealth than 60% of the world’s population combined. The richest 26 individuals alone have more wealth than 4 billion people combined. It is typical for successful people to believe that their cunning, wisdom, talent and hard work was the prime factor in determining their own success, but that is their lower mind and ego embracing a notion that does not account for God’s grace and how fragile human life is. So much tragedy can derail anyone from success in a second.

As John Lennon stated, “Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.” Danny Elfman initially never wanted to go into music let alone become a film composer and never believed the studio would accept his original score for Pee-wee’s Big Adventure, yet that is precisely what happened. We should all try to do our best in life and attempt to pursue our passions and dreams, but certain opportunities will unfold for some that will never unfold for others because control is ultimately an illusion IMHO. Hang a toilet on the wall in 1914 and Dadaism decrees you a genius as the carnage of World War I collapsed the culture of rationality that existed since Enlightenmet. Who in their right mind would ever think a toilet 🚽 was high Art 🖼? Alexander Graham Bell and Nikola Tesla were equally genius inventors, yet when Westinghouse refused to acknowledge their royalty agreement with Tesla only Bell became a household name throughout the world and financially successful while Tesla spent his life penniless, in debt and eventually homeless. After what I’ve learned through studying metaphysics, I truly wonder if Free Will even exists or perhaps it’s a mere illusion as well. I would assume this is a hard concept for most to wrap their head around as it used to be for me too. Even though I am expecting you will disagree with me, I think you are a wonderful person 💫

Last edited:

D Halgren

As a backgammon player (one of the most ancient games in the world) I see it more to do with increasing your odds, switching from offensive to defensive, adjusting your position within the hierarchy so that whatever dice are rolled you are able to adjust your tactic to overcome your opponent.

I am of the view that successful people, and by that I mean people who become successful and stay successful, usually have had their fair share of bad luck as well as good. The most learned of us after all, tend to have had the most lessons.

I think we judge success as a single hierarchy. Where you sit at any given time. For me I would judge it on a whole portfolio of context and achievement.

Steve Jobs could be considered hugely successful, but when bearing in mind that he wasn't born into famine in sub-Saharan brush land AND was a pretty shit Dad to his eldest daughter tends to temper my opinion of him somewhat. I imagine someone further back in his lineage may have suffered more so that he could go to Stanford and ignore the responsibility of being a father.
Jobs went to Reed, not Stanford. Just saying...

easyrider

It is typical for successful people to believe that their cunning, wisdom, talent and hard work was the prime factor in determining their own success, but that is their lower mind and ego embracing a notion that does not account for God’s grace and how fragile human life is. So much tragedy can derail anyone from success in a second.

In 2007 a flood wiped me out completely. I lost my home, my studio, everything. I went to work that morning in a state of order...and came home to chaos... The house was condemned by the insurance company. I was homeless.

I knocked the house down and rebuilt another house in situ 20 feet higher and with flood defences. That took 8 years of hard work and pain and ups and downs....

13 years on...I have no mortgage, I have just quit my job after 15 years teaching TV and Film production to 16-19 year olds due to the UK government crushing the education system with nonsense bureaucracy, Bloat and a pure toxic working environment. This caused me nothing but stress and anxiety.

From the 18th December I will be jobless... That 2007 flood that was beyond my control was the best thing that happened to me. It made me wakeup and realise what meaning was. Success is not money, or fame or adulation...These are all illusion. Success is internal. Its meaning from within. Its getting a text from your 19 year old daughter telling you she loves you. Its building a pond for 3 years by hand to save and protect your mental health. Success is to love and to be loved.

New challenges await me...I'll need to find another job at some point...But 2007 taught me that the only way to true meaning is ,Like Camus puts it. "Is to embrace the absurd".

OP
christianhenson

christianhenson

Great story. I certainly wouldn't be where I was today had it not been for my brain exploding when I was 25 and nearly killing me. I always maintain that whilst it was horrid for my family, it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Technostica

Subscription! Get off my lawn.
Unless you really know what the true nature of reality is, then all talk about luck is speculation.
So if you choose to believe that success is down to luck, you are choosing a negative idealogy that you can't prove.
So depending on the nature of reality, you may actually be creating a life that is 'unlucky', based purely on your belief system, even though luck is not absolute.
So be very careful what you believe.

creativeforge

the plumber
The world's biggest choir and a binaural piano FREE from pianobook:

Hi Christian, I'm just discovering this choir, wowzers! What a fascinating project, Christian, wow. And what could be more humanly vulnerable and expressing both our desire for connection (calling out) and our sense of isolation (dependence) than the human voice? A true beauty this whole project and the results! Really moved.

Peace to you and yours,

Andre

Last edited:

sostenuto

NKS Fan !
Family Piano enhanced and now 'ported ?' to PluginGuru UNIFY. Yesterday (Dec 26) YT Livestream covered this and is now saved on YT.

Mikro93

Okay, we need to talk.

I downloaded the free Family Grand and Winter Voices. This is so amazing.

So, this is one track, stacking the Grand detuned down an octave, and the Evo Fast patch of Winter Voices, with some granular goodness and saturation - nothing fancy, nothing expensive, but going full perineum! ;)

Happy holidays everyone :)

Attachments

• Winter Voices First Try.mp3
    4.3 MB · Views: 0

thesteelydane

Bunker Samples
In 2007 a flood wiped me out completely. I lost my home, my studio, everything. I went to work that morning in a state of order...and came home to chaos... The house was condemned by the insurance company. I was homeless.

I knocked the house down and rebuilt another house in situ 20 feet higher and with flood defences. That took 8 years of hard work and pain and ups and downs....

13 years on...I have no mortgage, I have just quit my job after 15 years teaching TV and Film production to 16-19 year olds due to the UK government crushing the education system with nonsense bureaucracy, Bloat and a pure toxic working environment. This caused me nothing but stress and anxiety.

From the 18th December I will be jobless... That 2007 flood that was beyond my control was the best thing that happened to me. It made me wakeup and realise what meaning was. Success is not money, or fame or adulation...These are all illusion. Success is internal. Its meaning from within. Its getting a text from your 19 year old daughter telling you she loves you. Its building a pond for 3 years by hand to save and protect your mental health. Success is to love and to be loved.

New challenges await me...I'll need to find another job at some point...But 2007 taught me that the only way to true meaning is ,Like Camus puts it. "Is to embrace the absurd".

Glad to hear you rebuild your life and found true meaning. I experienced something similar, but on a much, much smaller scale.

I was working as an orchestral musician in Sweden, fresh out of conservatory, and eager to do well. I was working an opera orchestra job and doing auditions all the time, so some days I was playing violin close to 10 hours a day - a few years in and I had constant and severe shoulder pain, but kept playing, out of fear of losing my contract and the social stigma of being "one of those" who complained about the pain that almost all classical musicians live with. Needles to say, that was the dumbest thing I have ever done. When finally the pain was so severe I couldn't even lift my instrument up to play without tears, it was too late. It took almost a year to get a proper diagnosis (chronic bursitis and biceps tendonitis, due to a massive shoulder blade dysfunction). In that year I tried to return to work many times, which just made it worse and worse. When I finally got the proper diagnosis, I realised I would probably never play again.

In the end it took 18 months of intense daily physio therapy, and I suffered a massive depression along the way. I couldn't even stand to listen to music for almost a year, because it reminded of the one thing I wanted to do, but couldn't. Despite numerous testaments from expert that even office desk work would cause chronic damage to my shoulder, the government insisted I wasn't eligible for any sickness cover, and I damn near became homeless. The only reason I didn't was a sympathetic social worker, who understood and kept putting my case file at the bottom of the pile.

In the end though, it was the best thing that ever happened to me, because it set me free as a musician. When I was finally able to return to playing I now longer felt the pressure of having to be successful. I returned and rebuild because I wanted to, not because I was driven by my previous mad ambitions. That eventually led me to discovering that I loved playing viola more than violin, I switched and had a good career as an orchestral viola freelancer for many years. Then one day I realised I wasn't creatively satisfied by that, moved to Vietnam and now I write music and make sample libraries. That would never have happened without my injury, I was so blinded by my ambition I missed all the peripheral opportunities - there's a French expression I think - "idé fix"? Sometimes I miss playing orchestra, but I'm much happier now exploring my own creative instincts and experimenting with sampling, synths and new kinds of music, than if I had stayed in an orchestra job for the rest of my life - and I have experienced cultures and parts of the world I would probably never have seen otherwise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom