What's new

Free DAWs

bill5

Thought this might be worth it to people starting out to try some with no cost risk, and there are some surprisingly good ones available now.

I was going to list a few out that I knew, but those and more are covered here

https://routenote.com/blog/the-10-best-free-daws-available/

There are also some with free trials, though obviously that's not the same thing long term...

Edit: scott also mentioned Cakewalk in the "Free Stuff" thread which is not in the article.

Cakewalk became freeware after the Routenote article linked above was published. Also since then, the free version of Tracktion is now V7. Finally, Reaper is not really free (except to demo) unless you are willing to misuse Cockos' very liberal payment policy.

Last edited:
Cakewalk is awesome, the Pro Channel modules are top-notch. Unlimited tracks too (audio, MIDI and busses).

Just because it didn't wirk for you doesn't mean it's not awesome
True, just like because it works for you doesn't mean it is :) I found it rather unfriendly, which was an instant deal-killer. I need ease of use; I'm old and impatient lol

I'm just happy Tracktion was mentioned. I've been using it since version 1 and it can do things that no other DAW can. It's quirky, but a gem.

If you use Carla or Bidule you can do that in any DAW but it is nice when things are built in.

Top Bottom