What's new

FREE Audio, Mixing, Effect Plugins Thread

Just FYI above to all the above is for two compressors and a mono-to-stereo voice plugin...also a) it requires ilok, and b) requires installing some other company-specific software installer which you must first install before installing the plugin etc...lost me at ilok even w/o the other stuff :) But others may feel it worthwhile, I can't say how good they are or aren't.

Just FYI above to all the above is for two compressors and a mono-to-stereo voice plugin...also a) it requires ilok, and b) requires installing some other company-specific software installer which you must first install before installing the plugin etc...lost me at ilok even w/o the other stuff :) But others may feel it worthwhile, I can't say how good they are or aren't.

eh?

The Pulsar Smasher is a great Plugin...You can buy it for 49 Euro Here

It's made my Pulsar...who make the legendary Mu

If you haven't heard of pulsar or the Mu you need to get with the program!

You dont need to install third party crap either you can download direct..

The Baby Audio I Heart NY can also be downloaded direct

You download the trial and activate it with the serial number

Review here by Warren Huart Produce like a pro

You can also download and activate the WA Plugin

here

Ran across an incredible freemium (Patreon-funded) gem: Analog Obsession. There are some exceptionally good plugins in there. Faves so far are Rare, CHANNEV and TuPRE, but there are dozens and all seem to be top-notch quality (they pass the gearspace Aliasing Police tests with flying colours).

Almost everything is available free but if you like the plugins, support the guy on Patreon. He’s earned it!

The free version of zenbeats for smartphone, mac, win .... a little big thing to construct with "normal" instruments ... the "fusion" or "separation" works nice in this little software and gives me a boost i think. and in full use ... :-D try it first... there is the full history plus new ways in there, but only roland products.... i am happy wit this. i have only this and adobe audition. zenbeats the midi and plugin pro. audition for everything else and more. data exchange per cloud ms,google,et cetera

Hey guys! I've made this video about 5 great tape plugins.

The plugins I used are :

➡️ SN03 by Sender Spike
➡️ ChowTape by Chowdhury DSP
➡️ Tape Cassette 2 by Caelum Audio
➡️ Ferric TDS by Variety of Sound
➡️ Track 24 by Low Wave

Any other free tape plugins you can think of that I may have missed? There's ToTape by Airwindows that I forgot to add to the video :D

Toneboosters have retired their TrackEssentials and BusTools plug-ins and released them as freeware.

These are top-quality FX packages. Compressors, equalizers, meters, reverb, limiter, and more, pretty much every effect you need to mix and master from the mind of Jeroen Breebart. I've long been a fan due to their FX being bundled with my first DAW, Mixcraft. They produced some of the first top-quality FX I worked with.

These packages include such industry-standard FX as Barricade limiter and Sibalance de-esser. Plus lots more, including an EQ with mid-side capability and what is now my favorite vocal pitch shifter.

To get them, go to this page and scroll to the very bottom:

https://www.toneboosters.com/changelog.html

Manuals may be downloaded at the bottom of this page:

https://www.toneboosters.com/support.html

Note: when installing on Windows, take care to set the correct path to your VST2 plug-ins folder. By default, the installer puts them in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2. Either move the .DLL's to your actual VST folder or tell your DAW where to find them.

Hi there. Question. I am especially curious about free plugins to put on the stereo-out/master bus that can really enhance/improve orchestral music. I'd like first hand info on this based on experience. Perhaps this experience even means little or no plugins, or only a little EQ.
An aside question that comes into my mind: do you create a separate master for your orchestral outputs to put the additions on, or do you not, just adding the additions to the stereo-out, without making a separate master. It is the last I most often do, as I do not see the benefits of making an audio-only master of the Logic project.
Thanks, and happy composing.

Hi there. Question. I am especially curious about free plugins to put on the stereo-out/master bus that can really enhance/improve orchestral music. I'd like first hand info on this based on experience. Perhaps this experience even means little or no plugins, or only a little EQ.
An aside question that comes into my mind: do you create a separate master for your orchestral outputs to put the additions on, or do you not, just adding the additions to the stereo-out, without making a separate master. It is the last I most often do, as I do not see the benefits of making an audio-only master of the Logic project.
My answer to your first question assumes that you're doing your own mastering, that is, delivering a completely finished piece of music that's not going to get any further processing.

My favorite free all-in-one master bus plug-in is bx_masterdesk Classic, which you get as part of a bundle of other useful free plug-ins when you register with Plugin Alliance. It has the processors you need, all in one plug-in. Compressor, EQ, limiter, and spatial manager. And some useful presets. Add to that MAnalyzer and MLoudnessAnalyzer from the Meldaproduction FreeFX Bundle and you're good to go.

For you second question, I believe what you're asking is whether after I first get the best mix I can get with no master bus FX I either export that mix as a stereo file and apply FX to the stereo file, or do I just declare the mix "finished" (hah, as if....) and start putting processors on my master bus?

For me, this first of course depends on whether I'm mastering the piece using the same program I used to mix it. At this point, I'm not using a separate program, so I just keep it and start applying master bus FX.

I also image that you want to know the pros and cons I believe are inherent to doing it either way. The practice of rendering it to a file before applying master FX is the traditional one, and goes way back to phonograph records, where it was the job of the mastering engineer to apply limiting and compression to make the music as loud as possible without making the needle jump the groove, and to also apply the RIAA EQ curve, an inverse of which is built into phono preamps. As time went on the role of the mastering engineer became more important, and they started adding EQ cuts and boosts in cases where the music as delivered needed them, as well as other things like spatial width manipulation and even reverb. And if they couldn't solve any mix issues in the mastering process, they'd kick the tape back to the producer and they'd have to do the EXPENSIVE process of trying another mix.

Now, after a couple of decades of pro quality processing being within easier reach of everyone, the philosophies around mastering are changing. Even 5 years ago, the mantra was "never master your own project." The biggest reason for this, assuming that the people involved did have the skills to do it, is that the musicians and mix engineer are "too close" to the finished mix and aren't able to hear it objectively. I guess the magazines and schools and whoever "decides" what "best practices" are noticed that so many of us were ignoring this that they've eased up. Now the idea is to do it that way if you can afford it and your music demands it (you're trying to have a top 40 hit or maybe you just aren't good at applying master bus FX).

This is the workflow that's being imitated. Obviously, if someone else is mastering your piece, you need to do it that way, similar if you're using a program other than Logic to master.

The other reason to do it that way is that there is a school of thought (based on decades of experience) that says that even if you're going to do it yourself, you should completely separate the processes of mixing and mastering intellectually so that you don't do things like chasing your tail going back and forth and adjusting the mix while you're adjusting your master bus processing. Mixing to 2 tracks helps enforce this. Along with this, it helps get out of the pit of endlessly polishing a piece and never finishing it to the point of release or submission.

How do I do it? I can't afford to have someone else do it, so it's a-gonna be me doing the master bus FX. I use the same software to record, mix and master, so it's all happening in Cakewalk. Given that, I agree that there's no real benefit to me to making a separate export. So far, I've confined my endless polishing and procrastination to the composing and mixing phases, and as long as my projects remain trapped there, I don't have to face the question anyway. :emoji_confounded:

Seriously, by the time I get a mix to the point where I think it's "ready," I just start applying master bus processing and keep away from the faders. In the rare event that a sound element is poking out or getting lost, I will allow myself to nudge its fader by no more than 2dB at a time. That keeps me away from the tail chasing.

Having said all of that, there's an even newer school of thought that suggests that mixing with mastering processors on the bus can be okay to do. The idea there is that you call up your favorite Ozone or The One or bx_masterdesk preset, or maybe just a limiter, slap it on the master bus and mix away so you don't have to be concerned whether it's all going to sound too different after going through the limiter (and bus compressor and EQ). When the mix is finished, it's finished and you don't launch another phase of the process.

I see some merit in this notion. However, I do think that taking a day or several days between finishing mixing and moving on to mastering helps give perspective. What I do in practice is work on my mix with the master FX on the master bus but bypassed. Then every so often I'll switch them on for a listen just to check.

YMMV....

Thanks, and happy composing.
One reason for confining mastering to a stereo audio file is that you keep the mixing and mastering separate. Another, so that you easily process that audio file for different platforms. And another would be for combining multiple composed pieces into an album or EP.

Other that the first of those reasons, the most important one for me is CPU. It means that I can use very CPU heavy plugins in mastering without any other plugins or synthesising draining my computers processing resources.

When mixing, it can also be a good idea to bounce things down to audio. For me, it is essential, since my computer wouldn't be able to create all of the sounds at once. As I use a lot of synthesis and sound design plugins, it is my CPU that is overtaxed. If I were using a lot of sample libraries, it could potentially require more RAM than I have (though I don't have that problem anymore as I've increased my RAM). Also, there are advantages to audio over midi in terms of fixing the sounds that you want, and being able to see precisely when transients are hitting, and so on.

You may find that you don't have to do that.

Another thing that can be very useful for mixing orchestras is to have a number of buses for mixing and effects. So, for example, you might have four: strings, winds, brass, percussion. Or you might break that down into smaller groups for more closely defined spatialisation work.

If you had one bus for all strings, and one for all brass, you would be easily able to alter the gain of one relative to the other.

And if you have a common bus for all strings, you can easily set compression, EQ and reverb sends for all strings at once (possibly with other fine tuning on individual channels).

Back to mixing and mastering, you might choose at a certain point to export audio files for each of your buses. You can then mix with those stems (one for strings, one for brass, etc., or more finegrained) before mastering.

From what I understand, with TV and film work, they will often require you to provide stems, so that there sound engineers can remix those stems when layering the music in with other sounds (dialogue, foley, sound effects). I don't know the details, but I imagine that they could also want separate stems for left and right, or four surround sound.

They might be happy with a single stereo stem for percussion, or they might want more detailed stems so that they can remix the percussion. And so on with other instrument groups.

Similar approaches to multiple stems can be useful when collaborating with others on a project. So, for example, you might send the stems for strings and brass to a percussionist to have them record some live drums.

If you are bringing the music to completion on your own, of course, the only reason for using all of these stems would be to fix certain parts of the composition in place whilst leaving further mixing decisions open for later.

In my case, I have only so far gone from midi, to audio for every track (which I do as I compose, moving back and forth between midi and audio as needed to make changes), to a stereo mix which is then mastered and exported/uploaded or whatever I do with it.

Something like bx_masterdesk, as suggested by @Superabbit, is an excellent choice for getting started with mastering. I'm no sound engineer; but for me the production, mixing and mastering are all very important parts of the composition. Sort of like I'm composing with the sound itself. That's a pretty common approach with popular music and it means I have a lot of learning to do, going from being a musician to a creator of finished music recordings!

If for you, the key part is the conventional composing and arranging, then you might want relatively straightforward mixing and mastering options. This leads a lot of people to using Ozone; which I hear very good things about. But bx_masterdesk is good either as part of a larger process, or just to add a little polish before sharing your work with others.

Last edited:
I use a separate mastering project in Logic for some of the same reasons mentioned by @Bee_Abney above, mainly to avoid CPU or RAM limitations. Also, it allows me to take a consistent approach with a project template for mastering in Logic. Finally, it forces me to make a mental shift and listen for different things, and not get distracted by temptation to continue tinkering with track automaton, etc.

Back to the free plugins, I saw a few mentions of ChowTape, which is a fantastically detailed emulation. It is worth noting that everything on his site is free and open source. The Chow Centaur (emulation of the famous Klon Centaur pedal) is also really great. I like to add it in front of other guitar amp sims or channel strip plugins for a bit of extra color.

Top Bottom