What's new

Forum was upgraded tonight!

Then could you please ditch the Verdana font for messages?
Helvetica Neue looks far more better. Verdana shows the small case "i" like an "l":
1609404623439.png
Also, the weight of the regular fonts will look better if being set as 400 in lieu of 300.
You can use a plugin like Stylus to use whatever font you prefer on this site, with a bit of CSS (cascading style sheets, not Cinematic Studio Strings lol).

Code:
.bbWrapper {
  font-family: 'Helvetica Neue';
  font-weight: 400;
}

Last edited:
OK, so I tested this.

Here is Verdana, at 300, normal text.

80172dd456720bf868fa8012d7fd3ee6.png

Here is Helvetica Neue, at 400, normal text.

helvneue.png

1- Verdana is clearer to read, not compressed.
2- The small case "i" does not look like an "I".
3- Increasing the weight to 400 is not making a positive difference.

So, I don't know where you tested this to find it better?

The choice for Verdana was made after testing a number of fonts for clarity for everyone, including people with affected vision. So for now we will not make a change as it has no visible advantage.

Hope this helps, sorry if this is inconvenient for you.

Regards,

Andre
That's not what Verdana really looks like authentically.
What you have seen through your computer is how Verdana gets rendered with ClearType hinting instructions (which is totally not used on macOS and iOS).

Considering both your preference of ClearType Verdana and the better looking of Helvetica Neue on macOS (but not available on Windows), you can write CSS font fallback sequence which begins with: "font-family: Helvetica Neue, Verdana, ...."

This will let the theme use Verdana on Windows, unless a hacked version of Helvetica Neue is manually installed. Since Helvetica Neue is the first font in the sequence, it has the most priority on macOS. Still, Verdana only looks acceptable on Windows through instructed ClearType rendering.

That's not what Verdana really looks like authentically.
What you have seen through your computer is how Verdana gets rendered with ClearType hinting instructions (which is totally not used on macOS and iOS).

Considering both your preference of ClearType Verdana and the better looking of Helvetica Neue on macOS (but not available on Windows), you can write CSS font fallback sequence which begins with: "font-family: Helvetica Neue, Verdana, ...."

This will let the theme use Verdana on Windows, unless a hacked version of Helvetica Neue is manually installed. Since Helvetica Neue is the first font in the sequence, it has the most priority on macOS. Still, Verdana only looks acceptable on Windows through instructed ClearType rendering.
Hi, there will be no changes made to the fonts. Please stop insisting?

Regards,

Andre

Last edited:
@ShikiSuen

have you thought about trying standup comedy or maybe taking up a new hobby?

Seriously...................
As one of my way of entertainment, I crafted the CSCN Anniversary theme for XenForo 2.2 but the admin here does not want any link of that be posted here.

Beware that it appears that the admin only cares about his reading comfort on Windows (similar to the previous US president who is careless about global warming). My motivation of asking him to change the font for non-Windows operating systems is that Verdana is functionally terrible on these non-Windows platforms. It even looks bigger than its ideal size in its each current font-size, comparing to how it looks like on Windows. // BTW, Verdana Pro is better than Verdana and is available (free) for Windows 10 users, and it does look better on macOS, too: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/verdana-pro/9n8d67vhhdc2

My major is composition, but my maniac hobby is typography (mixing texts of English, Chinese, and Japanese). I crafted all of my final Music History papers in LaTeX only, comparing those who can only use MS Word on Windows to generate giant-size PDF files and non-standard symbols of ♯s and ♭s (LaTeX can deal with them really well).

At this point there are no plans to do so. I'm sorry.
Nevermind. I just found Stylus plugin (much much better than the Stylish plugin I tried before). Stylus synchronizes my CSS settings across my computers, and its performance impact is small.

Last edited:
EDIT: but I will ask.
Thanks. I appreciate it. I'll wait for your good news.
================
Replying to #145:

I wasn't meant to personally attack you. Your statement here proved me that I did a wrong assumption to your reasonings.

I am afraid that this conversation needs to be shifted to XenForo official forum:
=================
Update:
Case settled at XenForo official forum.
I again apologize here for my disrespect in this thread.
Thanks to @creativeforge for his accommodation, and I respect his final decision.

Last edited:
Beware that it appears that the admin only cares about his reading comfort on Windows (similar to the previous US president who is careless about global warming). My motivation of asking him to change the font for non-Windows operating systems is that Verdana is functionally terrible on these non-Windows platforms.
Really, now.

As one of my way of entertainment, I crafted the CSCN Anniversary theme for XenForo 2.2 but the admin here does not want any link of that be posted here.

Beware that it appears that the admin only cares about his reading comfort on Windows (similar to the previous US president who is careless about global warming). My motivation of asking him to change the font for non-Windows operating systems is that Verdana is functionally terrible on these non-Windows platforms. It even looks bigger than its ideal size in its each current font-size, comparing to how it looks like on Windows. // BTW, Verdana Pro is better than Verdana and is available (free) for Windows 10 users, and it does look better on macOS, too: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/verdana-pro/9n8d67vhhdc2

My major is composition, but my maniac hobby is typography (mixing texts of English, Chinese, and Japanese). I crafted all of my final Music History papers in LaTeX only, comparing those who can only use MS Word on Windows to generate giant-size PDF files and non-standard symbols of ♯s and ♭s (LaTeX can deal with them really well).

Nevermind. I just found Stylus plugin (much much better than the Stylish plugin I tried before). Stylus synchronizes my CSS settings across my computers, and its performance impact is small.
I have referred your post and its content to the forum's moderators. I'm tech support, and this just got out of hands. I have treated you with respect and been patiently replying. I am not to blame if you cannot take NO for an answer. Personal attacks and insults are out of line and so this conversation is over for me.

Regards,

Andre

Seeing that Windows does not recognize the font Helvetica Neue but MacOS does, and that Windows recognizes Verdana, which the forum has always used, I have implemented a compromise where MacOS will now see Helvetica Neue as the main font but Windows will continue using the same font as before, Verdana.

Let me know if anyone notices a degradation in the quality of the fonts, if the text is harder or easier to read on MacOS (and IOS too, I guess) .

Regards,

Andre

Hi! I'm on MacOS, the font has changed, and it is ok, however I prefer the old text as it is less dense. This is ok though. Is it possible to make an option to choose the font? Thanks!

Hi! I'm on MacOS, the font has changed, and it is ok, however I prefer the old text as it is less dense. This is ok though. Is it possible to make an option to choose the font? Thanks!
Thank you, I guess no changes will be implemented at this point. It will remain Verdana, and it will be left to each individual to use any extension they want to make fonts changes, or hack their own browsers.

Good night (9:12am, been up all night).

Happy 2021!

Andre

Seeing that Windows does not recognize the font Helvetica Neue but MacOS does, and that Windows recognizes Verdana, which the forum has always used, I have implemented a compromise where MacOS will now see Helvetica Neue as the main font but Windows will continue using the same font as before, Verdana.
Thank you, I guess no changes will be implemented at this point. It will remain Verdana, and it will be left to each individual to use any extension they want to make fonts changes, or hack their own browsers.

So was this changed, then reverted back to the original? Because as of right now, Verdana is still the default font for me on MacOS after disabling any custom tweaks and clearing my browser cache to ensure I get a fresh copy of the CSS.

(It doesn't really matter to me, since I make a few tweaks to almost every website that I visit regularly, to use whatever fonts/spacing/etc I think looks best.)

So was this changed, then reverted back to the original? Because as of right now, Verdana is still the default font for me on MacOS after disabling any custom tweaks and clearing my browser cache to ensure I get a fresh copy of the CSS.

(It doesn't really matter to me, since I make a few tweaks to almost every website that I visit regularly, to use whatever fonts/spacing/etc I think looks best.)
Yes, before you refresh again, and without using any external tweaks, could you take a screenshot of what you see?

Then please refresh a few times and take a screenshot again, so we can see what you see?

Thank you,

Andre

Yes, before you refresh again, and without using any external tweaks, could you take a screenshot of what you see?

Then please refresh a few times and take a screenshot again, so we can see what you see?

Thank you,

Andre
It starting showing up as Helvetica Neue a few minutes after I posted. It probably just took a little while for the changes to propagate to all the servers which host the forum. At the time I posted my earlier message, pulling a fresh copy of the CSS from a 'clean' browser still had the font-family for the message-body class as "Verdana, Arial, sans-serif". Now it is "'Helvetica Neue',Verdana,sans-serif".

Top Bottom