For those who bought Hans Zimmer Strings, do you still recommend it?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Fitz, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Fitz

Fitz Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Currently Own Cinematic Strings and Spitfire Chamber Strings, which both work really well as string libraries. I'm looking to pick up either Spitfire Symphonic or Hans Zimmer strings just to supplement what I already have. Some of the HZ patches look and sound really great when I compared videos with SSS.

People who bought HZS, do you find good use for it? I know about the drama when it was first released but I'm curious to hear about real world uses now that the dust may have settled.

2. curtisschweitzer

curtisschweitzer New Member

I like HZ strings for what it is: a lot of one-of-a-kind patches that, especially in a more ambient context, can be absolutely stunning.

NoamL likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Fitz

Fitz Member

Apr 14, 2018
    And the shorts? The legatos seem to sound great. Trying to figure out if I can make the shorts work within big epic pieces.

4. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    Well -- I love having it but really it's a very particular sound. I don't see how anyone can say, "you must buy this" or not, unless they know what you are working on and what your taste is.

I think like all of these decisions you really have to listen to the demos and ask if that's a sound you would like to have.

For me it's a very fast way to expand scale or add colour or simply substitute a different sound altogether. I have used the shorts some but mostly the sustained patches so far.

SillyMidOn likes this.
  5. Ran Zhou

Ran Zhou Member

Aug 15, 2016
    HZ strings will give you a very special/unique treat on the Lush slow sounds which you won't get from other libraries. Such as CS Pont ,Super Sul Pont, Super Flautando, and Col Legno Tratto by 60 Cello/Violin players. But, you probably want to make sure those are the sounds you need or you want.

JohnG and curtisschweitzer like this.
  6. curtisschweitzer

curtisschweitzer New Member

Eh, I find them somewhat uninspiring. I use other libraries for shorts (HS and 8Dio Adagietto), and have not found HZ Strings to add anything "special" in this arena, personally. Having said that, I haven't really tried to get into the meat of the HZ Strings shorts, so, take it with that little grain of salt.

7. JT

JT Senior Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Midwest
    IMO the shorts are the weakest part of the library. The various long techniques absolutely stunning, but when I use the shorts, I invariably layer another library on top to give it more bite.

SyMTiK likes this.
  8. SyMTiK

SyMTiK Christopher B.

Ive had it since release and I think most of the early bugs have been worked out, but heres my findings with it:

It is a unique sounding string library. It has a lush sound, and the unique articulations are really the selling point of this library. I find the longs, legatos, and shorts to be perfectly acceptable in my work, and the sound works great to fill out a mix when you want that "huge sound" - even if that huge sound is at a ppp dynamic. Seriously though, even at the super quiet dynamic levels some of the articulations are capable of, theres still this immense characteristic to it. You can sense that the sound is coming from something of great size. I will say though that the longs, legatos, and shorts are definitely not the best nor the most versatile. The shorts are usable but not nearly as defined as other libraries. However, punchy shorts = small section size. I didn't expect 344 players to all strike a note with lazer precision. The legatos do sound acceptable after they updated them.

I will note that the player is definitely not the most efficient. You will be using the freeze function in your DAW often haha

Considering the libraries you already have, I would consider it a good addition as it does things that your other libraries don't already do. However, it is certainly pricey for what it is. I would wait to see what sort of discount they give it for black friday or better yet christmas. at 800 its a bit of a stretch, but at 500-600 its a more reasonable consideration.

9. artomatic

artomatic I Compose With My Ears

Aug 27, 2016
    If you like the sound it offers after viewing and listening to the demos, then go for it (but wait for the upcoming sales). I use it a lot for its lush and unique sound.

SyMTiK likes this.
  10. Rey

Rey Active Member

Apr 1, 2017
    it definitely is a special library. the demos did it justice like @artomatic said. Do you need? well if basic orchestra you want honestly you can get away with probably what I recently discovered-roland cloud orchestra. they sound nice offer more combination of orchestral sounds variety its combination. and some nice strings. its your bread and butter. So is if you get other more affordable strings library.
    If HZ strings is heavily discounted this year or next, and you really want something different then get it.
    Understand when you said you haven't tried to get into the meat of it, so am i, but id tried abit. The power lies in the strings combination left and right, the ridiculous amout of mic positions that lend strength to this library. only after than I found out this library is unique.

Although I still get consistant inspiration from HZ strings due to its lush sounds and dozens of different sounds it can produce due to mics combination I think there are about more than 30mics to combine from for single section?
    Buy if you want different and unique, HZ strings!

Laslty you want to get HZ strings I guess first make sure you really like it from the demo (video and audio). If you really like HZ strings there, if theres any regret that comes after it will be very minimum hopefully. Also you could take advantage on sales price,because it is a versatile hz strings, you can go loud you can go soft.

Good luck!

edit: After playing again with it i have to say hz strings still sounds awesome out of the box compare to others out there.it is this best strings for me for now.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    fish_hoof likes this.
  11. Rey

Rey Active Member

Apr 1, 2017
    also, you said you own SSS, HZ strings unfortunately don't have many multis. like SSS do. It doesn't have ensemble mode like SSS where you can play all parts in one go. Its all different sections. Mostly for writing. I really wish they add ensemble mode!

12. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    I also wish there were ensemble patches but, in the mean time, I find that the range in the cellos extends very high, so I use that instead.

That 60 cello patch -- both the "regular" and "super sul tasto" are so good they justify, for me, the entire purchase price.

13. stonzthro

stonzthro Senior Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Westwood, CA
    I find with samples, unless there are abundant horrific reviews, I never really know how useful they are until I have them on my system, in my studio. For HZ Strings, there aren't overwhelming negative reviews, but it also doesn't have the constant glowing Spitfire Chamber Strings type reviews. I have them, they are great. They fill gap in my string libraries and are inspiring to me. Beyond that, Spitfire is a good company that supports their product (can't say that for every developer, sadly) and I'm happy to support them. I don't regret the purchase at all. Once you cave in, report back and let us know what you think!

14. fish_hoof

fish_hoof Active Member

Love it and use it almost daily. Agree with @Rey, it's not a quick out of the box sound. I have spent countless hours playing with it, and to be honest, I have enjoyed that. Sometimes too often as composers we don't get to do that much tweaking and experimenting with string libraries because there is only 2-5 mic positions. I like that it has required me to think differently.. think about the instruments specifically and how I want them to sound. There are so many mics in HZS that you can really experiment and find a specific sound you want for a specific purpose.

Here is a track I did quick that has a bunch of shorts. All the strings are HZS.

These are other tracks I wrote using HZS.

Hopefully that helps. Or you could think my stuff sounds like junk lol, in any event, just want to help @Fitz :)

Maiestic9, whiskers, dzilizzi and 3 others like this.
  15. Rey

Rey Active Member

Apr 1, 2017
    after playing with it again today(left orchestral music for awhile), and checking out other strings option out there in the market, I still think it is the best sounding strings library by spitfire. Regarding the out-the-box thing, it truly sounds solid.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    whiskers and fish_hoof like this.
  16. fish_hoof

fish_hoof Active Member

Yea its really great. I picked up Spitfire Chamber Strings Pro for Black Friday and to me, HZS and SCS is the ultimate combo. They blend so well and just add detail to the power.

Did this little track with the two libraries. Nothing big but love how SCS works so nice with the shorts here. They dont come in until about 1:14.

whiskers, Rey and sostenuto like this.
  17. Rey

Rey Active Member

Apr 1, 2017
    exactly, you nailed it right there about hz strings and scs combo. cant go wrong with either or both together.

and thanks for sharing your music! high quality stuffs!

whiskers and fish_hoof like this.
  18. fish_hoof

fish_hoof Active Member

Thank you so much! You've made this guys day :)

whiskers likes this.