What's new

Font hurt my eyes

ShikiSuen

✎♪ @ Atelier Inmu
What I suggested previously should still work.

Code:
.message-body {font-family: Helvetica Neue, sans-serif;}
html {font-weight: 400; font-family: Helvetica Neue, sans-serif}

There is a reason why XenForo 2 uses Helvetica Neue by default.

Let's not make this as a default value but a user-choosable option.

Phil81

A related question for my fellow VI-C members:

Almost all websites that publish articles online these days put a lot of space between lines. The articles basically look double-spaced. It seems to have become a standard practice. Do people actually find that easier to read, or is it just a commonplace method for creating more space to place ads?

I still publish all my online articles with single spacing, because that's always been my preference. Nobody's complained yet, but if more space between lines does help a lot of people read better, I'll take that into consideration and start experimenting with it.
Double spacing is way more comfortable to read for me. Personal opinion. It looks cleaner, and feels nicer.

ShikiSuen

✎♪ @ Atelier Inmu
A related question for my fellow VI-C members:

Almost all websites that publish articles online these days put a lot of space between lines. The articles basically look double-spaced. It seems to have become a standard practice. Do people actually find that easier to read, or is it just a commonplace method for creating more space to place ads?

I still publish all my online articles with single spacing, because that's always been my preference. Nobody's complained yet, but if more space between lines does help a lot of people read better, I'll take that into consideration and start experimenting with it.
Doublespace is required initially for writing academic papers (since it leaves spaces for professors to annotate where needs to be fixed). It shouldn't be regarded as a standard practice for reading occasions that does not require spaces for annotations. If it should be, then why all our daily newspapers are not printed in doublespace?

Verdana & Courier (incl. Courier New) was initially made to make printings "visually doublespaced as a result" when using word processing softwares / typography softwares that doesn't support tuning the heights of line-spaces. Plus, enlarged glyph widths can slightly reduce the amount of contents per-line, reducing horizontal spaces required for annotation per each amount of printed contents. Misusing such fonts in general reading occasions (without deep consideration of actual usage scenarios) should be considered as a user-experience disaster.

Last edited:

Polkasound

Phil and Shiki, thank you for your input and information.

After bouncing around to random websites with articles, it seems most articles are published with a line spacing between 1.4 and 2.0. So I started using 1.4 for my articles.

ShikiSuen

✎♪ @ Atelier Inmu
Phil and Shiki, thank you for your input and information.

After bouncing around to random websites with articles, it seems most articles are published with a line spacing between 1.4 and 2.0. So I started using 1.4 for my articles.
If only typing Latin contents, Line-Height 1.4em is fine.
Note that this excludes the vertical space needed by "descender".

However, if typing mixed contents with Chinese / Japanese / Korean, you set the line at 1.7em since CJK glyphs always use up the whole glyph space square, including those being used by "descender".

This is what LineHeight 1.7em looks like:
(LineHeight 1.7em; Fonts fallbacked from "Inter" to macOS default zh-Hans-CN font "PingFang SC".)

1615256757862.png

1615256717747.png

Top Bottom