What's new

FMC 2021 Competitions

I can't find the deadline info anywhere on the site... do you happen to know when submissions are due?

No, sorry. Apart from saying registration is open tomorrow, the website is a bit light on other information.

Last year’s contest was announced on 10th January, with the deadline for entries on March 6th, and winners announced on 21st May. I’m sure they’ll provide more information shortly.

34$ bucks to register but they don't allow you to see the movie before registration. Did a miss anything?
To me, the quality of the movie is a key factor for any competition.
Spot on !
I didn’t know there was a fee and even though don’t want to register if I don’t have a preview of the movie.
I’ve done my share of animation scoring and would rather try my luck with drama.
I think I’ll pass unless someone here acknowledge that the movie is indeed great.

34$ bucks to register but they don't allow you to see the movie before registration. Did a miss anything?
Don't think you missed anything, and i agree it would be nice to see the available videos for scoring!
As i said when posting this topic, it seems like all categories are paid entries, and at $34 per entry it is quite steep, especially if you were going to score for more than one!

Entry fee in such big competitions it´s pretty standard and nothing new. I was interested in the Prizes and prestigious jury.
This year they have 7 categories. I already entered the category Music for Video Game and have to say I am having a lot of fun and I like it. Maybe I'll enter another category.

I just entered the video game contest, but i didnt get the video, do we have to contact them to get it ?

I got the video link right away once I signed up and paid. I’m entering the sci-fi scoring, but I’m not too impressed with the video. Really just a bunch of animated spaceships....no story, no characters, no “movie”. Kind of just moving images to paste music over, not at all a “score to picture” kind of thing (I was hoping for that). Ambient/chill music comes to mind. Still useful to compose/score to, I guess, but I’m not impressed with the video given all their hype about the competition.

I just get the video for the video game scoring, and same thought, i'm not really fan of the quality of it. But I guess I'll go with it anyway.

Entry fee in such big competitions it´s pretty standard and nothing new. I was interested in the Prizes and prestigious jury.
This year they have 7 categories. I already entered the category Music for Video Game and have to say I am having a lot of fun and I like it. Maybe I'll enter another category.
Entry fees aren't anything new, but they should be avoided unless its something you really feel strongly about. I always believe the money should only flow in one direction, otherwise its suspect.

apparently we have to buy it to find out whats in it. ('ll pass). If enough of us stop desperately throwing money at people this type of contest would change quickly. If they would post the trailer without a score on youtube, then we could decide if its something we want to pursue.

apparently we have to buy it to find out whats in it. ('ll pass). If enough of us stop desperately throwing money at people this type of contest would change quickly. If they would post the trailer without a score on youtube, then we could decide if its something we want to pursue.
I am an organizer of the events with a wide network of friends doing the same. I was really shocked and offended on behalf of the other organizers when saw your incompetent post here and some of the comments from the others.

From your comment is absolutely clear that you and some of the others here have no idea of what the organizers of the events do and what does it mean to organize something on a regional or international scale. Make some deep research, check for the professional info to better understand the background of the event.

Nobody is forcing you to enter or pay the fee. Each contest has its own rules made by organizers. Even you accept them and follow them or not. Another thing if you don´t have money for the fee you can look for free opportunities and it´s ok or play your music to your friends.

I think you and some of the others here have confused the hard work of the organizers of the events with big music companies actually ripping off the musicians like Spotify earning huge amounts of money. Write to them about the money flow you are mentioning and something suspicious and use your energy and frustrations in this direction.

Music competitions are here for you even you see the benefits or no.

I am an organizer of the events with a wide network of friends doing the same. I was really shocked and offended on behalf of the other organizers when saw your incompetent post here and some of the comments from the others.

From your comment is absolutely clear that you and some of the others here have no idea of what the organizers of the events do and what does it mean to organize something on a regional or international scale. Make some deep research, check for the professional info to better understand the background of the event.

Nobody is forcing you to enter or pay the fee. Each contest has its own rules made by organizers. Even you accept them and follow them or not. Another thing if you don´t have money for the fee you can look for free opportunities and it´s ok or play your music to your friends.

I think you and some of the others here have confused the hard work of the organizers of the events with big music companies actually ripping off the musicians like Spotify earning huge amounts of money. Write to them about the money flow you are mentioning and something suspicious and use your energy and frustrations in this direction.

Music competitions are here for you even you see the benefits or no.
I'm sorry if the truth offends you. I'm not degrading your efforts and I understand competitions have costs associated with them. The fact is there are way too many people who want to be actors, composers, film directors, musicians, stars ,etc. Unfortunately there are too many people trying to profit off the dreams of others. In my opinion there are only a handful of fee based competitions that are worth the fee just like according to world class chefs there are only a handful of culinary schools worth the tuition costs. As I've said before, nobody is standing in line to clean out my septic tank because its their hobby/passion. I doubt I could charge an entrance fee for the honor of being accepted as the winner of who cleans it. Its hard smelly work and anyone willing to do it should only expect the money to flow in one direction. When my employers want me to pay them, the money is flowing in the wrong direction which means I'm thinking its not for real. I've entered two contests in the past few weeks, no entry fees, but also the winning prizes have a small monetary value which for me is fine. Each person will have to decide for themselves if the entrance fee is warranted for contests they enter.

I paid for 2 categories so far. I will be honest, the videos are not exactly what I would have expected. The animated sci-fi category looks like a throwback to the Mind's Eye and Beyond The Mind's Eye videos of the late 80s and early 90s. The Action Video Game clip is a flight simulator. Not much to the action as it is a helicopter and it is not like it is in the movies, lol.

I am not dissing on these clips. It was my mistake to have certain expectations. Much like with the Abbey Road Scoring Competition (which I also entered and made the shortlist of 15 finalists) these clips are somewhat mundane. That is where the goal of the composer comes in with exciting music. Not saying it is our job to "save" a mundane scene, but to truly push our imagination and find the story (or create one if it truly does not exist).

I am familiar with the Mind's Eye CGI videos and the type of music that was used (Thomas Dolby did at least one of them and came up with some cool stuff). Also, I researched flight simulator games to get an idea of the types of music created to have some kind of context as a jumping off point.

Good luck to all who entered this competition.

I can't find the deadline info anywhere on the site... do you happen to know when submissions are due?
Deadlines are listed for each Category on the Category Details page.:

https://www.fmcontest.com/categories/
Select a category such as the Animated Sci-Fi contest:
https://www.fmcontest.com/compose-music-for-the-animated-scifi-film/
It is near the end of the page in big bold red letters. The deadlines differ for each category, but, most are due by July, others are due in August.

Attachments

• FMC Deadlines.JPG
    FMC Deadlines.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom