What's new

FluffyAudio - Simple Cello - Intro Price ending soon!

Timestretching messes with phases in a different way, indeed, but as long as it's within the acceptable range of timestretching in general it shouldn't be very noticeable (which I assume you aren't going above +/-10% speed increase/decrease?).

One other problem with timestretching vibratos (or any other articulation, for that matter) is that it also timestretches the room sound... Which is definitely a problem for wetter libraries.

Hello Harry, we just did some tests and there's no difference on our osx systems by loading the library into Kontakt 5.8.1 or Kontakt 6.11. We will do more research, though. Are Kontakt 5 and 6 in the same place on your system? Same drive, etc..

I’m using Windows 10.
Both Kontakt 5.8.1 and 6.11 are on my C drive. I’ve tried to unload my virus scanner and also added the Kontakt and simple cello folders to the ignore list of the virus scanner. This didn’t solve the slow UI loading in Kontakt 6.11. Might be a specific setting although both 5.8.1 and 6.11 have similar settings. I use many other libraries without problems in Kontakt 6.11

Last edited:
Great and very usable cello!

I've been in touch with support about a small issue I have. After loading the samples of the patches the time before the UI shows is 10sec in Kontakt 6.11 and instant in 5.8.1? @EvilDragon: Would you know if something is changed between Kontakt 5 and 6 that can influence this?
I'm having exactly the same issue with Kontakt 6.1.1 on Windows 10 in Cubase 8.5. Cubase does not respond at all for several seconds after loading the patch (maybe until the samples are fully loaded?). After that, I can use the instrument without problems.
Loading works without any issues using Kontakt 5.8.1 for me as well, thanks for the idea to try that!

Hello Harry, we just did some tests and there's no difference on our osx systems by loading the library into Kontakt 5.8.1 or Kontakt 6.11. We will do more research, though. Are Kontakt 5 and 6 in the same place on your system? Same drive, etc..

Also I'd like to point out about this cello that the Vibrato Speed patch has the interesting feature of being fruit of a nice intuition that with the Time Machine we could make a nice controllable speed vibrato that is not emulated, but 100% real. While it is a very simple thing to implement (and consumes more ram than the basic patch), it's actually very cool to change the speed of the vibrato during the performance. It sounds way much realistic than any kind of emulation and it doesn't involve the use of crossfading which rarely sounds acceptable on solo strings (and no, phase alignment on strings doesn't work, since on string instruments, contrary to brass, the harmonics are all misaligned).

In definitive, we are quite proud of this little instrument :)

Paoling. Are we going to get an update for Simple Violin ? just curious

Hello!
At the moment we haven't planned an update for Simple Violin. But who knows, actually it is a nice idea.

Simple Cello is on its intro pricing for a few hours now! And also we have started a summer sale! :cool:
The Cello feels like a really great addition to Venice Modern Strings. I'd be delighted if there'd be a Simple Violin/Viola/Bass one day too (even as a paid update), having the same sound and the same GUI.

Hello! How does "Simple Violin" perform with only 1 dynamic layer but controlling volume? thanks

Hello! How does "Simple Violin" perform with only 1 dynamic layer but controlling volume? thanks
Simple violin has a wonderful tone and I almost like this violin best. For the price there is nothing better (maybe the already mentioned solo violin B from performance samples which is free). It sounds way better, warmer, more emotional than VSL. I'm not missing layers here.
Unfortunately you can't set the attack phase, or I haven't found this function yet, so a live recording is much harder than with the cello.

Last edited:
Can some kind soul tell me if this cello responds to key velocity as opposed to using the dreaded mod wheel? I know it only has one dynamic layer but am hoping that one can at least control the initial volume of each played note via key velocity (same question goes for the Simple Violin if any user happens to have both libraries) Thanks!

In Simple Cello velocity controls if the first note is performed with an up-stroke (so with a little crescendo) or with a down-stroke (with a little accented attack). For the rest the modwheel does it. Simple Violin just has one kind of attack.

A nice thing of Simple Cello though is that (as in Simple Violin) the full sustain after the Legato is played in a somewhat "emotional" way, so if you just keep the modwheel stable the instrument will anyway have some kind of inbound dynamic.

Can some kind soul tell me if this cello responds to key velocity as opposed to using the dreaded mod wheel? I know it only has one dynamic layer but am hoping that one can at least control the initial volume of each played note via key velocity (same question goes for the Simple Violin if any user happens to have both libraries) Thanks!

The "dreaded modwheel" is necessary to sculpt real cello/violin performances. As a keyboard player, I initially had the same reaction but quickly came to realize that the modwheel is necessary:

If you e.g want a sustained note to increase in volume/dynamics, you cannot do that with key velocity, as you've already "hit" the keys. The only two practical choices are aftertouch (the synth player's typical method) and the modwheel or some other CC. That being said, there is a staccato overlay that helps a bit and is velocity sensitively.

The "dreaded modwheel" is necessary to sculpt real cello/violin performances. As a keyboard player, I initially had the same reaction but quickly came to realize that the modwheel is necessary:

If you e.g want a sustained note to increase in volume/dynamics, you cannot do that with key velocity, as you've already "hit" the keys. The only two practical choices are aftertouch (the synth player's typical method) and the modwheel or some other CC. That being said, there is a staccato overlay that helps a bit and is velocity sensitively.
Thanks for you response!

Sure I understand this of course but rarely use a mod wheel. I often use aftertouch and a volume pedal when the VI architecture allows it. Chris Heins instruments are cleverly scripted to allow a combination of velocity + cc of your choice: an implementation I've not seen elsewhere. I prefer to write concentrating on the initial dynamics created by key velocity as I do with Orchestral Tools where one can choose between xfade and velocity.

Each to his own! I just prefer to feel the initial strike of the keys is in control of how hard or soft the initial tone and volume is. If I then need to swell I add that afterwards.
I look for instruments that allow velocity control of initial volume/timbre dynamics because I also use them for live performance on stage.

Thanks for you response!

Sure I understand this of course but rarely use a mod wheel. I often use aftertouch and a volume pedal when the VI architecture allows it. Chris Heins instruments are cleverly scripted to allow a combination of velocity + cc of your choice: an implementation I've not seen elsewhere. I prefer to write concentrating on the initial dynamics created by key velocity as I do with Orchestral Tools where one can choose between xfade and velocity.

Each to his own! I just prefer to feel the initial strike of the keys is in control of how hard or soft the initial tone and volume is. If I then need to swell I add that afterwards.
I look for instruments that allow velocity control of initial volume/timbre dynamics because I also use them for live performance on stage.

40 seconds solution for your need:

(But I agree with AllanH points :-P )

40 seconds solution for your need:

(But I agree with AllanH points :-P )
Thanks for the video! (There was no audio by the way on this) ...From what I could see you were signing velocity to the amp envelope yes?,,, which I appreciate wd of course give me velocity control over any VI that doesn't have it intrinsically implemented... but not the timbre dynamics- although of course Fluffys only has one dynamic layer anyway!

I went for both the simple violin and simple cello. They may well be favorite-sounding solo string instruments - they are beautiful and somehow sound "just they way" I expect a real violin and cello to sound. I'm thrilled. The violin is a bit tricky to program for faster passages, but I'm very pleased overall.

Last edited:
I just purchased Simple Violin for (29$).

There's some pretty bad ringing of the recording space (if I'm interpreting properly) on the middle A and Gb. Pretty strident.

Top Bottom