What's new

Fluffy Audio 30% Sales until August 15th (ALL LIBRARIES)

Good point. I suspect I meant conclusion, though with Colorado weather in the mid 90s almost every day I'd take the weather too, whether or not I was asking for it. My English is dicey at times it must be admitted. Thank God for spell and grammar check or most anything I write would be wrong! Anyway thanks for taking a look at the review.

Also I already posted this question to Paolo in one of the original Dominus threads a few minutes ago ... but does anyone here who owns the lib have any experience using it in a slightly "faster" playing style (either quicker tempo, shorter note lengths, or both)?

For instance, let's say we're talking specifically about quarter notes. What would you say is the highest tempo for which a several-syllable word sung with quarter notes for each syllable would still sound convincing? Could it handle quarter notes at 120 bpm? 130 bpm? If I know it could handle quarter notes at 120/130 that would probably be enough for me to pull the plug on this and purchase. And if it could handle 8th notes at those same tempos then that would be *incredible*. It's just that the demos don't really seem to demonstrate that so it's unclear to me whether it will sound passable or not.

Thanks for any help.

Hi tim727,

If you're looking for a rhythmic, spiccato-esque, bouncing kind of sound then Dominus may not be your best choice.

Short syllable combinations like "Glo-ri-fi-ca-ta" will run with 1/8 notes at 120 and play all the sounds, but at anything above about 100 it no longer sounds "linguistic" or even "stylized," it just sounds like syllables sung strangely fast. Also, the most syllables per word is 7, and there needs to be a very short recovery time at the end of each word before the next set of syllables will re-trigger, although you can keep retriggering with a continuous poking at the keyswitches which adds a bit of work to the procedure. The recovery is there to allow space for the gorgeous legato transitions (I assume). And there are no spiccato "ticka ticka ticka" kind of syllables.

Dominus is at heart a very legato instrument, and that's just that. There are more than a few choirs that can do rhythmic, especially ones with the simpler note-per-syllable wordbuilders (ie Soundiron Requiem Light, but double check first) but nothing else sings with the spine-tingling elegance of Dominus.

Hi tim727,

If you're looking for a rhythmic, spiccato-esque, bouncing kind of sound then Dominus may not be your best choice.

Short syllable combinations like "Glo-ri-fi-ca-ta" will run with 1/8 notes at 120 and play all the sounds, but at anything above about 100 it no longer sounds "linguistic" or even "stylized," it just sounds like syllables sung strangely fast. Also, the most syllables per word is 7, and there needs to be a very short recovery time at the end of each word before the next set of syllables will re-trigger, although you can keep retriggering with a continuous poking at the keyswitches which adds a bit of work to the procedure. The recovery is there to allow space for the gorgeous legato transitions (I assume). And there are no spiccato "ticka ticka ticka" kind of syllables.

Dominus is at heart a very legato instrument, and that's just that. There are more than a few choirs that can do rhythmic, especially ones with the simpler note-per-syllable wordbuilders (ie Soundiron Requiem Light, but double check first) but nothing else sings with the spine-tingling elegance of Dominus.

If I were to only pick one choir from the the choice of Hollywood Choirs or Dominus, what would you recommend and your reasons for the decision...or whether neither of them for something else. Would like to hear your opinions and thoughts.

If I were to only pick one choir from the the choice of Hollywood Choirs or Dominus, what would you recommend and your reasons for the decision...or whether neither of them for something else. Would like to hear your opinions and thoughts.

I have both but it would be overeaching of me to do a clinical comparison because I greatly prefer Dominus for personal reasons having to do only with the mysteries of my musical tastes. I don't use choirs commercially, so it's just a matter of my whims. I bought Dominus for me, and it plays in real time so beautifully and sounds so fabulous (to me) that I'm loving it like no other VST in my experience.

So here are few random thoughts...

I feel Hollywood Choirs buys a lot of range and possibility at the cost of being technical in a rather computer geeky way (my opinion). Dominus is custom built to be more narrowly focused on something I absolutely love made accessible through simple technologies that are cast in musical terms. I was able to figure out the intricacies of Dominus in one evening, while the Hollywood Choirs Wordbuilder remains puzzling to my lazy brain. I've been a computer geek, now I wan't to be a musician.

Dominus can't make sentences, to which I add "thank goodness!" It can't even construct simple grammatical Latin phrases. No matter, I'm one of those people who almost never listens to the words. I can't understand most of the words in "Spem in Alium" either, but I bet I could do a fair sonic approximation with Dominus.

Dominus can be played out of the box in a very musical way with syllables lined up with notes and beats dictated primarily by playing style, or by simply reassigning note lengths to various syllables. Let's see...this syllable needs to come in a little later, I'll add a dot to the note just before. Or maybe I'll play that syllable a tiny bit longer.'

I may set up "Lacrimosa" to drag out the first few syllables, and adjust "Beatam to be my word of choice for a longish second-to-last syllables. Without the hindrance of Grammar, one can simply line up the custom adjusted, meter-biased words on the keyswitches and bring them in as the musical meter demands. Problem solved, no millisecond sliders, no GUI's. Sometimes a little tweaking in the note editor is called for as when trying for those lovely cluster dissonances beyond the reach of my hamfisted playing. But with those simple, musical-feeling methods, all solvable problems can be addressed.

So that's it. Hollywood Choirs is magnificent, no question about it. But Dominus knows what I like and delivers it with simplicity and elegance.

Hi tim727,

I wouldn't say I'm looking for rhythmic and bouncy per se, but I'd love to be able to do something like this:

I imagine some of the quicker notes in there would be too tough but as long as I could get close to something like this I think I would be happy!

Hi tim727,

Short syllable combinations like "Glo-ri-fi-ca-ta" will run with 1/8 notes at 120 and play all the sounds, but at anything above about 100 it no longer sounds "linguistic" or even "stylized," it just sounds like syllables sung strangely fast.

Ok, so 1/8th at above 100 is beyond the reach of the library. But quarter notes at around 120 should generally be ok? I found an example in one of the Fluffy demos of "glorificata" in fact at what seems to be about 120 bpm. It seems to sound ok, but all syllables are at the same note/frequency so there is no legato. Do you think if it actually shifted to a new note on each syllable for that word at 120 bpm that it would no longer sound passable due to the length of the legato transitions?

Hi tim727,

... but nothing else sings with the spine-tingling elegance of Dominus.

Right, which is why I'm interested in it! The sound seems more beautiful than anything I've heard from a choir before. I also happen to specialize in early/medieval music which is perhaps the biggest reason why this has piqued my interest. That said I'd hate to buy it and then realize "damn, the sound and functionality is great but I really need it to be able to perform at 20 bpm higher".

By the way thanks so much for taking the time to respond ... I really do appreciate it!

Hello! Some answers and explanations.

1) It's quite weird that it will add VAT for UK customers, I'll investigate it. Can you send us a screenshot of this difference applied? The thing is: US prices are without VAT because there's no VAT for US, Europe pricing includes VAT. I also hate when I get the VAT added on the cart.

2) Also Fastspring is having a strange bug: sometimes when you try to order it can give a "Zip not valid" error. They are aware of the issue and working on a fix. I could reproduce the error by choosing a country in the cart that is different from my current IP address. This would be very common in this season since most people is on holiday.

3) About fast phrasing in Dominus. The point is not the speed of words per-se, you can for example "squeeze" some letters to create combinations of worlds. For example "Grazia" is often sung "GRA ZIA" and not "GRA ZI A". So if you shorten the ZI to the shortest note available it would sound ZIA. In short: once you have understood the way Dominus sings, you can do whatever with that kind of articulation. And no, @tim727 in the current release it can't convincingly do the piece you posted. It's not about the speed per se, but the jumpiness and the agility that it has would give some challenge to replicate in Dominus. Also about what you said that "GLORIFICATA" is not legato, it's actually a kind of legato too, since even if you don't notice any word in sung in Dominus is an interconnection of samples. For example there are 7 microsnippets that are triggered when you sing the word Dominus (and 10 for GLORIFICATA). I have some ideas on how to make this, and I will explore them shortly in the future to see if they are viable.

4) About the future of Dominus: we have a session planned in a couple of months. The result will be a paid expansion for Dominus which will live also as a standalone product (clearly Dominus users will have some nice pricing). The aim is to cover staccato articulations, add some more syllables (to cover almost any latin world possible and therefore covering other languages too) and who knows :D
Also this will be the occasion to do a nice update to vanilla Dominus. Like adding traditional monophonic legato.

It's becoming very hard to wait and see what Spitfire does with their choir, before deciding on that or Dominus....
I don't think so. They will be two different products.

So if you don't like Dominus as it is right now, then wait for Spitfire. If you are pleased with Dominus, get it, and get the Spitfire choir later on... Sales happen all the time.

Dominus sounds fantastic. Really beautiful singing. Shame they can't take Paypal credit otherwise that would have been an instant buy from me. Another time...

Hello Gerbil! Are you sure? Fastspring accepts paypal, and I believe that’s no difference for the system to pay with credit than credit card...

Hello Gerbil! Are you sure? Fastspring accepts paypal, and I believe that’s no difference for the system to pay with credit than credit card...

I went to buy but there was no option for paypal credit, just my debit card. Any other time and I'd just have bought it outright but I've been updating my monitors so the money's gone there.

Top Bottom