What's new

Bohemian Series Expansions Thread, Violin Expansion 2 Improv Video

Virharmonic

Hi Guys and Girls,

Bohemian Violin V3 including the Expansion 2 is now officially Released,

Thank you all for your patience and continued support. We couldn’t be doing what we do without your help and your amazing ideas.

Quick Overview of the Expanded Version is here.

Install Steps For Existing Users:
1.Please update your UVI Workstation to the newest version.
Only the newest version supports all the script features we have used, so the library requires UVI Workstation 3.0.5+ to run!
2. Download the Bohemian Violin V3 incl EXP2. (8.5 GB required for download and the library will take 9.2
3. Unpack the downloaded file and place the resulting UFS into your mounting folder.
4. Existing Users do NOT need to reactivate. This version answers to the same licence as Expansion 1 or base version!

The Expanded version is free for all existing users, so you can just login and begin your download.

Once you login, you will see your download link in the download section of your account. We have released it in Single Version at 48Khz as that is the most efficient version to use and in 99% of the setups, the best version to use.
The 96Khz version will be made available in 2 weeks and will be available on request only as unless the user runs project set to 96Khz, using the 96Khz version will simply increase the memory load for no gain as the hosting DAW would have to downsample to lower sample rate at real time which causes CPU spikes and sonically often results in worse quality then using the perfectly resampled 48khz version. Having 2 versions on downloads lead to a lot of confusion and often users ended up using incorrect version for their needs, so we have decided to keep things simple going forward.

Legacy Versions have also been removed from the downloads as they often lead to confusion (especially for new customers), but they are available on requests, so if you have old projects that need the legacy versions and you lose your UFS, you can email us for a download link of any version required.

Over the course of next few weeks we will look forward to hearing what you compose using this evolved version and we look forward to releasing the Expansion 3 (already in works) as soon as possible. We will also populate the tutorials in similar fashion to our Cello to make sure, you can all get the most out of the violin, so we will share all our tips and tricks with you and describe each feature in more detail as there is a lot of features to go through now and the Overview is only a brief fly over :)

We have also updated the Manual, which is now very detailed and we hope you find it helpful. Manual is available on the product page.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR AMAZING SUPPORT!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a live captured improv using Expansion 2 Beta release candidate build. All we are doing now is final UI passes and we expect to upload over the weekend, so beta for those who are on the beta team will start as soon as we get encoding back (usually pretty fast) and release is planned for June. Once in beta we will do more videos showing all the extra cool features coming in EXP2

Expansion 2 brings about over 20,000 new samples of Bow changed legato, repetitions and much more (Yes including non vibratos bow types ) !

Stay in musical flow from the first note till the last, using our In Momentum Musical Capture technique.

Thank you for all your support and we can not wait to finally get this beast into your hands :)

------------------------------------------------

Cello Expansion 1 release info

We are finally here - the day we can show off the Cello and what we have been up to all this time. As usual with us, this is a live improvisation without any force keys/keyswitches or mood changes. Of course as with the EXP1 for the violin, we have moods in this version of the Cello too as well as a completely new GUI (which will make it's way to EXP2 of the violin and we will show it off more in the Overview at some point next week if beta goes well ;) ).

A
s you have probably noticed a lot has changed since version one. This expansion contains over 35 thousand new samples and effectively replaces the old Cello. In the end we have decided to change the Cellist to improve the library beyond it's original potential. This meant starting from scratch, but it delivers an instrument that fits our vision and delivers much richer timbre. Of course this expansion is free for all existing users ;). This technically means that you will now have 2 different cellos - the original base and the new Expanded version.

Overview of the Expanded Cello!

Thank you all for your patience and support and we look forward to hearing your thoughts :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are very proud to present our First ever showing of our brand New library.

For over a year we have worked on a completely new way of making Virtual Instruments. Instead of making another Virtual Instrument we have made a Virtual Performer. This is his first public performance!
We Present to you the Bohemian Violin - First ever violin performer and first in our new Soul Capture series.

For more info and to order visit www.virharmonic.com/bohemian_violin

EXPANSION 1 Details

We are finally ready to unveil the details of our planned Expansion 1. These approved features should make it into the Expansion 1 which we plan to release on 30th November. We have many months and months of hard work behind us and I believe that still many sleepless night of tweaking ahead of us, but we hope that you find the list as exciting as we do. It has been thanks to your patience, that we were able to test many different approaches to legatos and come up with a solution that would make me happy and deliver a believable performance.

Link to feature list - https://www.virharmonic.com/blog/Bohemian Violin Expansion 1

A Video Overview of the Expansion 1

In this video as usual I haven't used any CC or Keyswitches or any post midi editing. It is a live take using one of the presets called Improv.

Expansion 1 features 3 behavioral presets that can be changed on the fly by 3 keyswitches - Each presets amends the way the performer handles incoming notes and addresses them in said style. We call these presets - "Moods"

Moods available in Expansion 1 are - Improv (featured in the video above - easy to play and most flexible- uses almost all available bow types), Czardas (Lots of momentum in this one ;) ) and Finally Emotive ( ideal for the slower tunes which just need to play on the right heart string in lower dynamics)

For More demos and info please check out www.virharmonic.com

Thank you for your support, your patience and we look forward to hearing what you think.

Warm Regards

Ondrej, Alex, Jordi and Pavel
The VirHarmonic team ;)

Thank you guys​

Last edited:
So now musicians are selling their souls on vi? :)
Already sold. Really incredible sound. Yet I have a few questions:

How will this soul perform? Will it play exactly the same each time the same notes and velocities are played?

How might it interpret the opening line of the youtube video which followed yours? Would it be possible to get a soft interpretation such as in this opening? Do we have any options to influence the interpretation?

Can force bowing changes? (Say three strong down bows in a row)

Really looking forward to trying this!

Greg

?

Yes and I would say Yes again although keep in mind that Slur Legato is not coming in the initial release and for MA-Simon Yes too.

We have beautiful pp dynamic layer in there which can melt hearts so I would be confident that this style is reachable.

In terms of variaty - well we have 2 round robins per bow and dynamic so that makes it a minimum of 4 unique takes on each Long or bow change legato note if I include only the "standard" sustains. We also have Spiccatos with 6-8 RRs and Pizzicato with I think 4 Round Robins and 4 dynamic.
We have 3 "standard" Sustains and 4 Arcs - seperated into 2 types and 2 suitable dynamic fields. All of these are again on each bow with 2 unique RRs and pp actually has 3 round robins as we felt that really quite pp has been neglected for years especially the emotional pp.

All of these features are fully integrated and while bowing is handled by itself as you can see in the video, the user is still able to force different behavior upon the performer.

In other words we feel that variety is the spice of life, especially when it is controllable and handles mostly for you ;)

This library will run in Seasons : Each customer who joins in during a Season will get all future updates for free, but as we introduce more and more styles of performance to this library we will increase the RRP accordingly to reflect the work that goes in, while the owners from Season 1 will get their update free.

It is also fair to say that we are already working on other instruments in this nature capturing different performers and with a Launch of each new library we will introduce more articulations and flexibility while at the same time update the older libraries with Exactly the same features. We are working only with Highly committed musicians who know very well that they will be coming back and back and back until we exhaust their styles ;)

So in other simple words. We are extremely busy with development, but we are also incredibly excited about what we are able to do, bring and offer.

Last edited:
How might it interpret the opening line of the youtube video which followed yours? Would it be possible to get a soft interpretation such as in this opening? Do we have any options to influence the interpretation?

Can force bowing changes? (Say three strong down bows in a row)

Really looking forward to trying this!

Greg

?

The performance featuring Lucia and Chris Botti is, without a doubt, one that has stayed with me ever since I first saw it. So much soul, so much emotion and so beautifully performed. I purchased both the video and audio of two of the pieces they did that night, and continue to enjoy them and use them as examples to others. I'm not ashamed to say that her performance has moved me to tears more than once.
Getting back to Bohemian Violin, I'm not sure that any library could come close to what Lucia does, but on the other hand it does indeed sound wonderful. Many people probably have used the Gypsy Violin from another developer previously. and I think this one will surpass it by a wide margin. The tone is excellent and it should easily stand out when mixed with other instruments. yet it still has warmth and beauty. And the good news is that Ondrej has stated that this will be the first version of the instrument, but more will be added to it as development continues. "Sounds good to me"! :)

I have to agree - her performance in that piece is astounding. The emotion flows through her and it is a spectacle worth hearing and observing :)

The emotion flows through her and it is a spectacle worth hearing and observing :)
Especially that vibrato on the low G string! Wow. I dare ask, can we do this?

Regardless, its really good to see the focus on performance interpretation as that IS the spice of music. And with self-interpretation, might it not be possible to also drive via notation software in the future with reasonable results?

Vibrato is a literal signature of any string performer. You can usually tell who is playing what by their vibrato. We have a nice lyrical vibrato in the samples as part of the performance style we went for, but would i say it is as dominant as in her playing especially on the lower dynamics? Probably not as that would make it less flexible. Now if the question was if we can add that in the later season - the answer is sure - if there is enough interest we will. In the end it will be users who will vote on the next articulation/play style we work on in January. We will explain this way of working on Soul Capture as we go along, but the current plan is to do quarterly updates introducing more and more articulations and play styles as the seasons progress. We are very well aware that we will be working day and night to get this done in speedy manner, but that is why we have spent over a year developing a modular engine where we can add features to at a whim and not cause issues for us. This is very unique setup as we have developed this library with the core philosophy that version one is the base (very powerful one) to expand on.

Thank you for the clarification!
It does sound quite nice. Very nice concept with the seasonal updates.

This sounds really good. I will be keeping an eye on your progress and maybe even signing on. :)

Also... I know it's very early and you're still working on the violin. But allow me to put in a vote for a solo oboe. And of course a cello as well.

Off now to check out some more of that video.

Last edited:
Can you do Kashmir on the Bohemian Violin? :)

Seriously though, the initial demo for the Bohemian Violin sounds very promising. And together with the Chis Botti cd/dvd both are now on my to get list.

Last edited:
Wow! This sounds absolutely amazing! Love the Soul Capture concept, and I'll definitely keep my eyes and ears on this in the following months. Great work! :)

Thank you guys - We will be updating the Thread and populating the website as we go through the pre-order period.
More to follow ;)

Also, if I'm correct, you can get up to three activations - which is enough to have one on your main computer, one on your laptop and even one spare. Generous policy imo.

Then there is an additional benefit if you have Falcon (which I think was used to help create this?). If the pattern follows other UVI based libraries, you can go to town in Falcon creating additional presets and multis and modulations, etc.

Without getting into a tedious discussion on iLok... if a library must be protected, personally I actually like having my authorizations on there as opposed to authorizing your hd directly - which sooner or later WILL fail.

Hi guys. Thanks again for all the kind words and compliments. It is a song to our ears :)

It is correct that the library does not require iLok dongle. All you need is iLok licence manager and you get 3 licences to place anywhere you like.

This is new series, so while we always offer loyalty discounts within series (so those who will own Violin will get discounts on Cello, Viola and Second Violin) there are no cross series discounts. On the note of the Choral series, they are still being supported and update is coming January/February, so the owners of these series are by no means left behind ;)

Once the planned expansions for string series are explained it will become clearer why 99€ is basically too good of a deal. We are prepping all the material to be concise and easy to understand and we will populate the site as soon as possible, but hopefully during this week

Top Bottom