First piece I'm willing to share

samuel.beliveau

Newb Member
Hi everyone, I've started composing music a few months ago and this is the first piece that I'm proud enough to share :) . It's quite short, but each attempt to make it longer failed, so I kept it as it is.

I'm a beginner to this and a self-learner with no music background, so any feedback would be appreciated. You can tell me the harsh truths if needed, as long as you can tell me how to improve.

For those of you who will take the time to listen (and maybe comment), thanks in advance :).

toddkreuz

Do you know how to get midi scores and import them into you DAW?

I think that's a great way to start the learning process.

OP
samuel.beliveau

samuel.beliveau

Newb Member
Do you know how to get midi scores and import them into you DAW?

I think that's a great way to start the learning process.
Not really, where would you get them? Which ones would make sense for a beginner?

Bear in mind, I've not even scratched the surface of:
- Melodies
- Harmony
- Composition
- Using the VIs correctly (+ articulations)
- Mixing
- etc.

(or so I think...)

So it's a matter of knowing where I should go next based on that piece which represent the best I've done so far :) .

toddkreuz

This is the site i started with many years ago https://www.classicalarchives.com/

But i already had a significant music background.

Check this thread from this forum too. https://vi-control.net/community/threads/websites-for-orchestral-midi-files.51689/

I think aside from studying midi/scores in your DAW and deconstructing them, i would say
its important to learn to play music, IE = learn to play an instrument. When you start to
get good, then start learning music theory basics, intervals, etc. Then start learning
to improvise. For me, composition starts with improvisation. In fact, i can't really think
of another way to compose anything. The term "Music" i believe comes from the word "Muse"
and that is what improvisation is. I would think a composer that can't improvise is like a
sculptor without any clay.
Surely there's a thread here somewhere about that subject.

Cathbad

Congratulations on starting your musical journey.

Keep writing music. Always think about what you think sounded good, and what you think didn't work so well. Everything we write is an opportunity to learn from ourselves and teach ourselves.

Time spent studying music theory will pay you back manyfold in future. It's like investing in a set of good tools. It also gives you ideas to try out new techniques.

Most of all, @toddkreuz is really correct when he recommends learning an instrument. But not only that. Play in as many different kinds of ensembles as you can and listen to as much music as you can.

There are so many great resources online today, all you have to do is dive in and enjoy yourself.

OP
samuel.beliveau

samuel.beliveau

Newb Member
I’ve started playing the piano this year too, but I stopped when I switched to composing pieces. Maybe I should start the piano again and that will give me another perspective on composition.

Thanks for your suggestions.:)

BlackDorito

Hi Samuel - some of the suggestions above are basic and I hope you can take advantage of them. For this particular rendition of Glorious Parade I would also mention the following in the arena of mixing: it seems that the 'room' of some of the instruments is different than the others. Imagine you are listening to an actual ensemble playing this piece, or perhaps you're listening to an MP3 of a previous live recording on your headphones, the instruments should all sound like they are on the same stage. Part of the job of creating a believable rendition of your composition with VIs .. but less important than the fundamentals of studying an instrument, music history and music theory.

OP
samuel.beliveau

samuel.beliveau

Newb Member
Good point, while I've routed all instruments to the same reverb plugin (Spaces 2) using the same "room", I'd say that I parametrized the output value for each almost randomly... I guess I'm not at the stage to appreciate good or bad reverb mixing, but thanks for pointing that out :) .