First Feature Film Contract ??

Discussion in 'Working in the Industry' started by bengoss, Feb 10, 2019.

1. bengoss

bengoss New Member

Nov 15, 2018
    New York
    Hey guys,

I’m finishing up my score for my first feature film and would appreciate your help with the contract and what should I ask for.

I know you usually sign the contract before you start but that didn’t happen in my case. I have received half of the money and we have an email agreement for 3% of the film profits plus the payment.
    I will definitely consult with an entertainment lawyer but wanted to ask you about the music rights and publishing and all that..

I would appreciate your help.
    Thanks,
    Ben

2. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    Get a copy of This Business of Music -- either buy one or get it from a library.

Given the situation, you might try to use what people call a "synch" license, or "synchronization license." That is intended to let them use the music on their movie and for you to own the music and the master recordings (they are two different things, as you may know).

Then repeat this: "I solemnly swear never to rely (solely) for legal advice from internet chat boards."

Farkle likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    bengoss

bengoss New Member

Nov 15, 2018
    New York
    Thanks for your reply John.
    Yes I solemnly swear never to rely (solely) for legal advice from internet chat boards.
    I’ll try to read something definitely but I have two days only so that’s why I asked for some help here from all of you that have much more experience with this.
    My goal is to keep the performing rights and publishing if possible.
    If any advice on what should I be aware of or what should I ask for please let me know.
    Thanks
    B

4. studiostuff

studiostuff Active Member

Dec 15, 2015
    This is not legal advice... You may need more than two days to work this out to your satisfaction.

If you can not get more time, you may get what you want, you may not...

If you can get more time, hire a lawyer.

5. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    You can probably generate plenty of pundit-type suggestions. That said, we don’t know, and likely can’t learn through this medium nearly enough about you, this project, your leverage or lack thereof to give sound advice.

Sure we can speculate, but that is potentially hazardous to you.

ASCAP and BMI used to have decent resources about some aspects of contracts on their websites.

6. OP
    OP
    bengoss

bengoss New Member

Nov 15, 2018
    New York
    Thanks again John.
    I did find some contracts on the Ascap website but it feels like you give everything to the producer:)) I will try with the sync license as you mentioned but I don’t know if it’s gonna work..
    Thanks again! You have some great music
    B