What's new

First Cello Performer in Soul Capture Series - RELEASED

We are very proud to present our First ever showing of the second performer in the Soul Capture Series, the Bohemian Cello.

As soon as the Bohemian Violin was launched we immediately set off on the hunt to bag a Cellist, but not just any Cellist, it had to be someone who could bounce off Ondrej's Playing to ensure the two Libraries compliment each other and so ensued the improv playoffs!

Below is a short improv in or usual style, no keyswitching, no cc's no tweaking and no loops.

Of Course we know that you want to see more, so here is a Overview by Ondrej taking you through the library :)

For release dates and more info, please visit our website

Thank you guys for all your patience and support and we really hope you enjoy the cello :)

Last edited:
May I ask, from my ears it sounds like currently the only legato option is bow change, whereas Bohemian Violin sounds more connected from the first release. Have you done things the other way round with the Cello?

I just want to make sure I understand correctly. Is the fingered legato like in Bohemian coming in an update and if so what is the expected ETA for this?

One more question, as you are planning future expansions for this and the Violin how will you ensure any additional recordings for these will match existing content both in the Mic setup and player/instrument?

May I ask, from my ears it sounds like currently the only legato option is bow change, whereas Bohemian Violin sounds more connected from the first release. Have you done things the other way round with the Cello?

I just want to make sure I understand correctly. Is the fingered legato like in Bohemian coming in an update and if so what is the expected ETA for this?

Hi Procreative,

Like the violin the Cello is bow changed legato in base version. However when the bows changes on the cello (especially in lower register) there are slightly bigger drops in volume then on the violin and more of an audible bow change noise (which we love especially in the higher intervals) . As you play higher in the register the drop during change gets smaller - just the nature of how long it takes for the string to change resonance.

We plan to do the Cello Expansion 1 in the same fashion as the Violin, so we plan to add Fingered/slurred (on bow legato) and portamento in Exp1 and we have already booked the sessions for this. Exact ETA is very hard to do as it depends on the amount of takes we need to do and as we do the onbow legato in 3 dynamics, it takes quite a lot of time. Ondrej would like to get it released in Q4 2016, but we will give guaranteed ETA once the sessions are completed.

In terms of consistency - the Recording studio we use for our Soul Capture series is our own and is reserved purely for Soul Capture series. Once the microphones are placed they are no longer moved and are carefully measured and photographed as well as sonically captured, so we have nice consistency. Ondrej took great care that we can guarantee expanding on these instruments without the issues of moved microphones, not being able to book rooms ect, so we built one recording room specifically for the stringed instruments. We even reserved one chair specifically for the cellist which is now used only in the studio ;)

Last edited:

Based on my experience playing live with the Bohemian Violin, I think it's due to the performance itself, the notes connect better when you don't overlap them. If the Cello has similar behavior, you can dramatically minimize the volume drop by playing the notes as close as possible without overlapping them.

Based on my experience playing live with the Bohemian Violin, I think it's due to the performance itself, the notes connect better when you don't overlap them. If the Cello has similar behavior, you can dramatically minimize the volume drop by playing the notes as close as possible without overlapping them.
I have found this as well.

I'm sitting in an Abbey and desperately want to listen but cannot. So what's the verdict Rob?
Hey Baron - probably too early, with just this improvisation, to make a full opinion. Whilst I think the instrument will benefit greatly for the eventually fingered legato they have planned, this instrument will find its way into my projects for sure upon release. As stated, with the vln, by 'learning' the instrument's response to playing techniques and 'forcing' certain arcs in certain situations I have been very pleased with the vln on projects. I think this cello will be on par with that. My gut is that these guys are going to stick with this series of instruments and over the next 12-18 months it will continue to grow to what we need. Looking forward to more extensive demos and walk-thru videos.

Hi Procreative,

Like the violin the Cello is bow changed legato in base version. However when the bows changes on the cello (especially in lower register) there are slightly bigger drops in volume then on the violin and more of an audible bow change noise (which we love especially in the higher intervals) . As you play higher in the register the drop during change gets smaller - just the nature of how long it takes for the string to change resonance.

We plan to do the Cello Expansion 1 in the same fashion as the Violin, so we plan to add Fingered/slurred (on bow legato) and portamento in Exp1 and we have already booked the sessions for this. Exact ETA is very hard to do as it depends on the amount of takes we need to do and as we do the onbow legato in 3 dynamics, it takes quite a lot of time. Ondrej would like to get it released in Q4 2016, but we will give guaranteed ETA once the sessions are completed.

In terms of consistency - the Recording studio we use for our Soul Capture series is our own and is reserved purely for Soul Capture series. Once the microphones are placed they are no longer moved and are carefully measured and photographed as well as sonically captured, so we have nice consistency. Ondrej took great care that we can guarantee expanding on these instruments without the issues of moved microphones, not being able to book rooms ect, so we built one recording room specifically for the stringed instruments. We even reserved one chair specifically for the cellist which is now used only in the studio ;)

Okay thanks for explanation and very reassuring you have been so meticulous in the recording process to be able to recreate the same conditions as I have other libraries where to me it sounds inconsistent across articulations.

Your are right about the Legato style, I guess my memory is that it sounds less pronounced on the bow change. Its not that the bow change sounds bad, far from it. But in the future having the other two options will really make a difference.

I own the Violin and like many feverishly anticipating the progress.

Okay thanks for explanation and very reassuring you have been so meticulous in the recording process to be able to recreate the same conditions as I have other libraries where to me it sounds inconsistent across articulations.

Your are right about the Legato style, I guess my memory is that it sounds less pronounced on the bow change. Its not that the bow change sounds bad, far from it. But in the future having the other two options will really make a difference.

I own the Violin and like many feverishly anticipating the progress.

All I can say at the moment - "it will be very much worth the wait ;) "

The Expansion 1 is a direct reflection of communities requests and desires and we will do the same for the Cello ;) Thank you for your support guys

Last edited:
haven't received the newsletter yet, though have always gotten them in the past. How long is the pre-order? Heading to NAMM in the morning, so may not be able to order for a few days.

haven't received the newsletter yet, though have always gotten them in the past. How long is the pre-order? Heading to NAMM in the morning, so may not be able to order for a few days.

You can check if you are subscribed in your account section on www.virharmonic.com or alternatively you can contact us directly through support(@)virharmonic.com and Alex will get back to you asap. Pre-order is on until 8th July. As far as I can see all newsletters have been sent out, so you should have it in your inbox if your subscription is active and our email isn't blocked.

I also did not receive the newsletter (wasn't subscribed). Support e-mail sent.

Edit: Reply mail received. That was quick! Great customer service. Thanks!

Last edited:
I tried to preorder last night but the coupon I was emailed would not work.
It said the coupon was not valid or something like that.
Can someone from VirHarmonic fix this for me. Thanks

Top Bottom