What's new

First album released! (Ambient-orchestral)

sgtpepper123

Hey everyone! I've finished my first album after a couple years of more focus on making music. Originally, I only started this project to make music for a film I was working on. One of the things that helped me with this was feedback I received on this forum as well as technical help and resources so thank you.

The album is called 'Songs for Walls'. It is a mix of ambient and orchestral music inspired by Jonny Greenwood, John Luther Adams, as well as organic sounds and environmental sounds. It even features samples of my neighbours screaming, so enjoy that.

Any thoughts or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Here are some links to it:
Soundcloud
Bandcamp
Spotify

Music video for the song "95 Stop".

VSTs I used:
Spitfire Chamber Evolutions
Spitfire Labs - a lot
iZotope Iris 2
Spitfire Felt Piano
Reverb:
Orilriver Reverb
Valhala Super Massive

Listening now. Very nice atmospheres, clean sound, well produced. Did you do the mix and master? Thanks for including the VST list. Made on a budget.

Listening now. Very nice atmospheres, clean sound, well produced. Did you do the mix and master? Thanks for including the VST list. Made on a budget.
Thanks for listening! A friend of mine more familiar with mixing and mastering did the final touches.

Hey everyone! I've finished my first album after a couple years of more focus on making music. Originally, I only started this project to make music for a film I was working on. One of the things that helped me with this was feedback I received on this forum as well as technical help and resources so thank you.

The album is called 'Songs for Walls'. It is a mix of ambient and orchestral music inspired by Jonny Greenwood, John Luther Adams, as well as organic sounds and environmental sounds. It even features samples of my neighbours screaming, so enjoy that.

Any thoughts or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Here are some links to it:
Soundcloud
Bandcamp
Spotify

Music video for the song "95 Stop".

VSTs I used:
Spitfire Chamber Evolutions
Spitfire Labs - a lot
iZotope Iris 2
Spitfire Felt Piano
Reverb:
Orilriver Reverb
Valhala Super Massive

Just a thought - wouldnt have minded seeing it going really fu...ing freaky and dark. Its somewhere on the edge, and maybe it was meant to be so - which is fine - or maybe the composer didnt have the courage to throw in the darkness and discord. This is not criticism btw, but a psychological musical analysis. Personally, would have liked to been taken by surprise by something uncomfortable. But thats a taste thing. Maybe a mixture of pleasant and unpleasant.

What Im trying to say, its still in the realm of mainstream, but there was a potential sort of, to hit the audience from behind. Like Hitchcock - sort of. You had got us in the emotional focus, and you could have kicked us in the balls. Maybe thats what you wanted it to be, but you could have freaked us. :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Just a thought - wouldnt have minded seeing it going really fu...ing freaky and dark. Its somewhere on the edge, and maybe it was meant to be so - which is fine - or maybe the composer didnt have the courage to throw in the darkness and discord. This is not criticism btw, but a psychological musical analysis. Personally, would have liked to been taken by surprise by something uncomfortable. But thats a taste thing. Maybe a mixture of pleasant and unpleasant.

What Im trying to say, its still in the realm of mainstream, but there was a potential sort of, to hit the audience from behind. Like Hitchcock - sort of. You had got us in the emotional focus, and you could have kicked us in the balls. Maybe thats what you wanted it to be, but you could have freaked us. :)

Thanks!
Thanks for the thoughtful response! The song 'Voices in the Walls' was actually my attempt at that. That song and Via al Molo are the two songs that aren't used in my film. Voices in the Walls used samples of my neighbours violently fighting, which was a norm for a year of my life during lockdown and was really negatively impacting my life.

With this style of music, I haven't leaned too far on that side of things but might in the future based on this feedback.

Top Bottom