What's new

Finally a new epic track from me...

JEPA

I am not the trailer music expert, but i am musician and a very sensible one... ;)
Take please this my appreciation as a subjective one, I'm not telling you the last truth here :cool:

First of all, your harmony sequence. I know trailer music tends to be simplistic, but harmony helps to contour the flow of energy, if you let the same three chords all over the 3 minutes of the track it gets boring after some time. To 1:06 if I were you I would have made some chord change, maybe to IV Major? But you went further with brass, its fine too, but the track became little flat.
1:38 break, its fine, but I would have repeated it (also one more time = 2x total) and prepare the next section with a louder or intensiver raiser.
1:44 is interesting, but there are styles mixing? also i hear some EDM oriented style mixed with orchestral, that's fine but you lose some percussion power cuz of the continuous kick each quarter beat. I would make percussion accentuations (I tend to do them asymmetrical to give movement)
2:00 I would make a harmonic change, nothing extreme but that leads to 2:16 more intensively, just to let the I-VI-IV all the section gets boring... but again, I understand the simplistic way of doing it but that bores me personally. Without this 1:44 to 2:16 is too flat for me...
2:21 lower part, is fine with the choirs as an isle, suspense preparing the final part, BUT I would prepare the final part with ascending intensity and not a simple start at 2:58.
For the last part i would add density, because it sounds very similar as the 1:44 part and you will want variety. For example to add density I would double vocal parts with strings one octave up or winds, or brass, the melody is beautiful but for the last part you want to have it with more intensity for the final impact... or more voices layering, just ideas.

And overal i find the selection of harmony nice, but I would add some variations. For me the track is a little long but I don't know if with some changes the track could stand at this length.

Like said before, these are only my appreciations, very subjectively ones, only 1 of billions of perspectives in the universe.
I wish lot of success with your music! :2thumbs:

OP
Mads Skønberg

Mads Skønberg

I am not the trailer music expert, but i am musician and a very sensible one... ;)
Take please this my appreciation as a subjective one, I'm not telling you the last truth here :cool:

First of all, your harmony sequence. I know trailer music tends to be simplistic, but harmony helps to contour the flow of energy, if you let the same three chords all over the 3 minutes of the track it gets boring after some time. To 1:06 if I were you I would have made some chord change, maybe to IV Major? But you went further with brass, its fine too, but the track became little flat.
1:38 break, its fine, but I would have repeated it (also one more time = 2x total) and prepare the next section with a louder or intensiver raiser.
1:44 is interesting, but there are styles mixing? also i hear some EDM oriented style mixed with orchestral, that's fine but you lose some percussion power cuz of the continuous kick each quarter beat. I would make percussion accentuations (I tend to do them asymmetrical to give movement)
2:00 I would make a harmonic change, nothing extreme but that leads to 2:16 more intensively, just to let the I-VI-IV all the section gets boring... but again, I understand the simplistic way of doing it but that bores me personally. Without this 1:44 to 2:16 is too flat for me...
2:21 lower part, is fine with the choirs as an isle, suspense preparing the final part, BUT I would prepare the final part with ascending intensity and not a simple start at 2:58.
For the last part i would add density, because it sounds very similar as the 1:44 part and you will want variety. For example to add density I would double vocal parts with strings one octave up or winds, or brass, the melody is beautiful but for the last part you want to have it with more intensity for the final impact... or more voices layering, just ideas.

And overal i find the selection of harmony nice, but I would add some variations. For me the track is a little long but I don't know if with some changes the track could stand at this length.

Like said before, these are only my appreciations, very subjectively ones, only 1 of billions of perspectives in the universe.
I wish lot of success with your music! :2thumbs:
Thanx for a long and good feedback!

I am not even sure if this is a trailer track. I think its more a kind of hybrid track.

And yes, I try to combine two genres - epic with a twist of edm mixed into it.

Here is a newer version of the track, what do you think ?

JEPA

hey! I can't remember anymore how ur first version did begin, but at the end, the "isle" part where the choir were a contrast to the entire track has now more percussion. In my humbled opinion it was too much (3:08-3:24). I would have made the principal beats and fill ins only where the choir doesn't sing (in the pauses)... There is a figure that repeats always before the main beat (3 strikes), you can variate it with some rolls.
I notice some hard compression specially by the percussion (& soundcloud compression added), for me that is not pleasant. I like compression but not excessive.

I think the track improved in consistency. You would want to take a second look at the mix:
1:22 hidden horn could go up
1:38 - 2:10 brass lead partially covered under the percussion could go up

as before, that are my personal opinions, my personal point of view.

Keep doing well!

Top Bottom