What's new

Finale no match between exported audio and midi

For reference, the switch that NotePerformer maps for harmonics playback is triggered by the plain circle accent from Dorico 2.

The new method for harmonics, introduced with Dorico 3, have no mappable switches for playback at this stage. Functionality for playback will be added in a future Dorico release, but for the time being it’s a visual feature only.

Reactions: Rob
but shouldn't the midi reflect the audio tempo changes anyway?
I have all tempo variation fields in HP preferences unchecked btw

I don't know what is happening with your tempo, but I have exported dozens of scores in Finale to midi and the tempo is no problem. Except for the last measure. Sometimes the midi doesn't pick up the last tempo variation. I always add an extra empty measure.

I don't know what is happening with your tempo, but I have exported dozens of scores in Finale to midi and the tempo is no problem. Except for the last measure. Sometimes the midi doesn't pick up the last tempo variation. I always add an extra empty measure.
but have you also exported the audio from the same files and checked in the DAW if audio and midi were aligned? Because that's where I'm in trouble...

I did what Rob suggested , and yes, unfortunately Finale is doing something under the hood regarding the tempo.....couldn't get good results also ! :(

Reactions: Rob
I did what Rob suggested , and yes, unfortunately Finale is doing something under the hood regarding the tempo.....couldn't get good results also ! :(
I feel some comfort knowing I'm not alone :)

Sad though.....users should be able to modify whatever and how they want...but notation programs still have their caveats !

but have you also exported the audio from the same files and checked in the DAW if audio and midi were aligned? Because that's where I'm in trouble...

I hardly ever export audio, but in the few cases I did, the audio was correct. It's always better to export the midi and then work on the midi in your DAW.

If you export with NotePerformer, could you please try MIDI or Garritan, just to see if this has anything to do with latency conpensation?

It’s known that audio export with NP is one second late. Due to it, audio can be cut off prematurely at the end, if the music ends without headroom.

If you export with NotePerformer, could you please try MIDI or Garritan, just to see if this has anything to do with latency conpensation?

It’s known that audio export with NP is one second late. Due to it, audio can be cut off prematurely at the end, if the music ends without headroom.
Not a latency compensation issue Arne, that’d be easy to fix... timing variations are spread through all the duration of the piece, irregularly. Sudden tempo changes, rallentando etc.

I hardly ever export audio, but in the few cases I did, the audio was correct. It's always better to export the midi and then work on the midi in your DAW.
I need Noteperformer's audio exported and mixed with midi so working all midi isn't an option... anyway Foxby confermed there's a bug in Finale/human playback

Not a latency compensation issue Arne, that’d be easy to fix... timing variations are spread through all the duration of the piece, irregularly. Sudden tempo changes, rallentando etc.
You're right, I don't actually think this is the cause. But it's worth a shot, in case there's a more low-level issue, e.g. notes being delayed by one second, but not tempo events.

Thanks for posting this Bill, might be interesting...

Useful indeed... it also confirms the workaround I have found, manually tapping tempo all through the score.

Top Bottom