What's new

Film score mixing courses?

Studio E

Eric Watkins
I'm no amateur, but now that I'm writing two really industrial scores, I am looking to brush-up or gain some perspective. I know that I will come up with mixes I don't hate, but I would like to learn a thing or two that might bring things to the next level. Keep in mind, the scores I'm working on right now are a lot of controlled noise and distortion. Often times I have 20 tracks of various synths and textures, just flowing, across most of the audio spectrum, and I'm conscious of the fact that arrangement/orchestration is everything in preparing for a good mix, but I also feel like the specific rules of rock, pop, or orchestral mixing, don't apply much here, and that I'd like something that talks about overall balance and frequency ranges, vs how to compress a snare or eq a guitar. There's a ton of that stuff out there. That said, feel free to throw any suggestions out there for me to see. Thank you!

Alan Meyerson’s courses for Mix With The Masters are great, Junkie XL often posts mix breakdowns on his YouTube channel, I’d start with those for sure

Hi Eric,

I have a service called 1-On-1 Mixing where I do just that. Well, anything that the client wants to go over and improve on, really. And a lot of times it is looking into the overall balance and frequency ranges. After some session prep on the client's end, they send me their session, I look it over and listen to the mix, and then we do a vid conference (screenshare & audiostream via Audiomovers) and go over whatever they want to get better at as well as whatever my notes are based on info I get prior to our session. I've been doing this online for over 4 years now and have worked with people all over the world who produce/mix all kinds of different types of music including film scores. If any of this interests you, feel free to email me here: [email protected]

Hi Eric,

I have a service called 1-On-1 Mixing where I do just that. Well, anything that the client wants to go over and improve on, really. And a lot of times it is looking into the overall balance and frequency ranges. After some session prep on the client's end, they send me their session, I look it over and listen to the mix, and then we do a vid conference (screenshare & audiostream via Audiomovers) and go over whatever they want to get better at as well as whatever my notes are based on info I get prior to our session. I've been doing this online for over 4 years now and have worked with people all over the world who produce/mix all kinds of different types of music including film scores. If any of this interests you, feel free to email me here: [email protected]
Ryst, thank you for making me aware of this service. I may very well want to talk to you when I get to the mixing stage. I think it would be cost prohibitive to have you review the entire score, but if you'd be willing to just do a session or two on some of what I consider to be rough patches, I'll probably be interested.
Thanks again!

Alan Meyerson’s courses for Mix With The Masters are great, Junkie XL often posts mix breakdowns on his YouTube channel, I’d start with those for sure
I forgot about all of Tom's free YouTube stuff, thank you. I'll definitely look at Alan's stuff as well. Great suggestions, thank you!

Ryst, thank you for making me aware of this service. I may very well want to talk to you when I get to the mixing stage. I think it would be cost prohibitive to have you review the entire score, but if you'd be willing to just do a session or two on some of what I consider to be rough patches, I'll probably be interested.
Thanks again!
Yeah, absolutely. You can check my site for the different options: www.1on1mixing.com

More than likely Mix Consulting would be the best. It's a 60 min vid conference and we'll go over whatever we can in that timeframe.

Dennis Sands has an orchestral mixing course. Google his name and mixing and you'll find it.

Dennis Sands has an orchestral mixing course. Google his name and mixing and you'll find it.
I have linked it below for anyone that is interested in it (not taken it myself, but I get the sales emails)

The current offer is $197 which ends today, though if you wait it will come back again

https://mixingcourse.com/mixing-for-composers8h87hu7

Do you know if you can download or purchase Alan Mayerson's courses individually, or do you have to pay for a subscription?

Do you know if you can download or purchase Alan Mayerson's courses individually, or do you have to pay for a subscription?

You have to pay for the subscription, but there’s a lot of other great stuff in there besides just Alan’s videos, so it’s worth it

Top Bottom