Field recording work

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by gregh, Feb 21, 2019.

1. gregh

gregh Senior Member

Feb 1, 2015
    okay, here is a first rough mix of a piece using field recordings made in the Sydney Botanic Gardens - along from the Art Gallery of NSW down to the harbour. This is the site of the first farm made by the British after they invaded Australia. This piece will be part of a guided tour given by the Indigenous artist Judy Watson with whom I often work. There are 4 sections to the completed piece. All the material here is derived from the field recordings - I used my new Tascam D100 mk3 - ambient recordings, contact mics, hydrophones (buried and in water). This is an incredibly noisy environment - major roads, helicopters, lots of people. I will use those sounds in later segments, but I'm not foregrounding them - the goal with this design is to make sounds that people will listen to as they walk and listen to Judy talking ie my sound sets a vibe and comes in and out of focus There will be some changes to this piece, but it is reasonably close I think - although I haven't listened to this mp3 version yet and sometimes they are awful compared to the original. Actually I hjave to find another venue for quick uploading as soundcloud is filled with bots and just generally a bit shit. This will be my last soundcloud upload

TRACK REMOVED - I only keep work available for limited time

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  2. Levitanus

Levitanus Active Member

At least, it sounds interesting. But today I was totally crashed by live of the 5th Mahler, so I listened only 5 minutes of the piece, then go totally relaxed

gregh likes this.
  3. Niah2

Niah2 Active Member

Oct 30, 2016
    I love this Greg.

Thank you for posting, it was what I need after a long week.

gregh likes this.
  4. heisenberg

heisenberg Senior Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Thank you Greg for sharing that. Most of my gestalt moments with music have been this kind of work. Sure you're familiar with Alan Lamb's work. Toshiya Tsunoda's oeuvre and Christophe Charles's Undirected recordings (Discogs) are worth seeking out, if you haven't discovered them already. Nicely done Greg!

gregh likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    gregh

gregh Senior Member

Feb 1, 2015
    thanks heisenberg - I don't know Christophe Charles so that's great to have a new artist to follow up. I still discover people who have been around for years and wonder, "how did I miss them?" My own practice is moving into sound art too - I just got accepted to create a sound installation at Brisbane's best private gallery - very excited by that.

heisenberg likes this.
  6. Markus Kohlprath

Markus Kohlprath Active Member

Mar 3, 2013
    This is great. Didn’t expect to go through all the 15 min but couldn’t stop listening. I love the inherent rhythm of the ambiences and I think you did a great work combining them tastefully and musically.

heisenberg and gregh like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    gregh

gregh Senior Member

Feb 1, 2015
    here's a video fresh from the Tate with the artist I work with