Feedback please.

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by JulianF, Jul 11, 2018.

1. JulianF

JulianF Active Member

Jun 3, 2017
    I feel like I'm missing some things that are making this not as good as it can be. I can't identify what the issues are myself (due to lack of knowledge) so I'd appreciate it if you can give feedback to this piece. Thanks!

ein fisch likes this.
  2. Jaap

Jaap Best audience ever...booh!

I would not stop the strings after the introduction when the piano starts. Connect it by adding some soft high strings (like in the 1 minute section).
    The strings have a very short release which doesn't suite the ambience actually. Also on some points the attacks feel a bit off, ride the expression wheel a bit more and make some softer entrance on some the attacks.. The section at around 2.50 feels empty. A soft touch of woodwind might give a fresh feeling there before you end it with the piano (which feels the same as the intro, a bit empty all the sudden)
    Mix wise the strings and piano feel disconnected. Try to find a good glue on the reverb.

I hope this helps a bit Julian, think you got a nice basic for a good and solid piece.

3. Tice

Tice Senior Member

Jun 10, 2018
    I reckon some instruments can be doubled with others to add color to the sound. For instance, the melody the piano starts at 1:19 can be doubled by an (Irish) flute (with little flourishes deviating from the main piano melody), and as the strings take over that melody at 1:50, you could double it with a subtle clockenspiel (not too loud, just for detail). All throughout you can add short flourishes by woodwinds that weave around the main melody. Or make counter melodies in a lower volume than the main one. There's also no percussion yet. Not that I'd use any heavy percussion for this. Just subtle supporting percussion, like the tambourin for instance. Use it gently and only in sections where it really picks up, like at 1:50.

4. OP
    OP
    JulianF

JulianF Active Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Thanks Jaap! I can't believe I somehow missed hearing the mix problem. Most of the strings' CCs were drawn in so I'd probably have to relearn how to make realistic strings with CC again :( .

Thanks Tice! There's actually a hand drum playing but it's really subtle.