What's new

Feedback on my first orchestral midi track?

EvenFarther

"Raideance"
Hey, so I want to make video game music. I've been making mostly EDM-style, but I also want to make Orchestral pieces. This is my first attempt at doing so and was wondering if I could get some tips on how to improve/get better at orchestrating. I was trying to write something as if it was another track for Halo Wars, very ambient and warlike, in the background while you are building up your stuff. I will eventually convert the instruments in ones that sound more real when I get access to some. So, thoughts? ;P

Hey @EvenFarther, congrats on your first orchestral track. :thumbsup:

The 1st thing I would say for starters is start writing fairly short tracks to practice (like around 1 minute only) and keep writing different ideas and asking for feedback on them. That way you shorten the amount of time spent and get good feedback still.

The 2nd thing... learn to use the mod wheel (CC1). A lot. You need to build expression into orchestral VI instruments in a big way, otherwise it will sound very static. Always use more expression than you think you need. That very last chord for example in your track, it sounds fake (I'm looking past the poor samples you are using) because there's no expression.

Thanks for the advice, I'll do more shorter music for now to see what I can improve upon. So I am sort of a beginner on midi as well. I use FL Studio and learned to use the velocity settings. I tried to mess around with the mod wheels, but didn't know how to use them, link effects to them, or enable them. I'll try to find out how it works, Thanks.

Top Bottom