What's new

Feature Request thread for the Spitfire Audio sample player

Stevie

Use the modwheel, Luke!
Hey all,

I've been using BBC SO for some days now and I really like the sample player.
However, feature wise it is still not on par with SA's Kontakt libraries.

Therefore I decided to create this FR thread.
Because: who could give Spitfire better feedback than the people who use it?
This thread will reflect the user feedback without the need to write zillions of emails
to SA support. They will just have to look it up here.

I'll start with some bits:

Instrument features

- control for legato amount / volume
- timestretching for short articulations
- control of releases for ALL instruments (ADSR)
- polyphonic legato
- abilty to play trills while holding the first note and repeatedly triggering a second note

GUI

- put all controls (like all the variations) on the main GUI, no clicking in sub menus (as it used to be in Kontakt), because this is not practical at all

Anmerkung 2019-11-01 162339.png

- put as many articulations on the main page as possible

Feel free to add your FRs.

Last edited:
From more important to less (for me):

Plugin:

- Fix ram usage on windows (what's reported on the plugin and what is reported in the task manager wildly differ)

- Fix timed semi-short articulations (for example in first violin marcato you either play really short or it will play really long, there's no in-between). This is specially annoying on the harp and timpani too.

- Per technique volume, which ignores global settings (rather than having to fiddle with single mic faders, they will still use the same mic mixing yet allow a certain technique to sound louder/softer than the others)

- Being able to stack two techniques when two keyswitches are pressed at the same time. This is possible on the UI by shift clicking them, but not for some reason with midi (e.g. sometimes I'd like to layer SFZ with marcato on brass)

- Make timed the default setting, or at least allow it to be saved as a default

- Show the keyswitch note in each articulation box so we don't need to click the articulation to figure out its note

- Show the CCs in the fxs boxes so we don't need to right click them to figure the mappings

Sample wise:

- ffff for horns a4 staccattos (like the bells up staccatos from other spitfire horns), or if resampling is not possible then maybe extract those from the start of SFZ patches plus some processing

- Make cuivre the top layer of longs rather than whole separate layer (maybe just make it a new technique for compatibility purposes)

I second the OP @Stevie points.

but most important to me is an attack slider, it makes the longs only usable in one very specific context.

2nd is better vib control, having it only on or off on some patches also makes vib patches only usable in very specific situations.

its not a one stop 'universal' orchestral library if you cant control these things, i need another library to be able to do this. lets make bbcso great, i believe in you, c'mon SA!!!

1. Yes, Advanced, or Detailed view mode. I’ll link to my PS mock-up I did for this:

2. Progress bar for patch loading rather than that tiny flashing red and green light!

A smart trill patch... No developer really got that right, when playing chords.
You either have to choose minor or major trills. A combined patch would make things so much easier.
Low velocity = minor trill, high velocity = major trill. That way we could easily play chord trills.

I haven't bought into any product from SF with their new player yet, so I cannot say which details I would like. But it would take at least these two to make me consider any library with that player:
1) Multitimbral mode would be a prerequisite for me, as I don't like keyswitching and loading a plugin per articulation is not an option. I wouldn't even consider any sample library in a different player, if these features are not available. It should not be very hard though. There would just have to me a mode, where you select a midi channel per articulation vs keyswitching to it.
2) It seems, the SF Player does not load in the background. That is why it takes ages to load patches form a hard drive. This also seems like a pretty basic feature in 2019 to me. Play seems to have it. VSL also doesn't ...

The ability to have multiple outputs so that each mic can have it’s own output for further processing in the daw

The ability to have multiple outputs so that each mic can have it’s own output for further processing in the daw

I thought it already had that?

Regarding a progress bar for patch loading - just a % indicator would do.

Really? You need to show me how! ;) I couldn’t find a way and there is no mention in the manual on how to do it

Well I can only comment on Logic, but when you load the plugin you have the choice of Stereo, Multi-output (x16) or Multi-output (x25).

If you select a Multi-output then output options appear below each Mic on the interface, see below screenshot where I have set each one to a different output:
Screenshot 2019-11-10 at 19.21.58.png

Edit:
Another screenshot of it working in the Logic mixer:
Screenshot 2019-11-10 at 19.33.55.png

PS: I definitely agree it should mention this in the manual!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
If they're not going to sample it, I'd at least like scripted re-bowing/re-tonguing, if it's not absurdly difficult to do.

Feature request:
Where the Keyswitches are displayed on the right hand side of the interface, this should change between starting at C-1 or C-2, depending on what the user has set as middle C.

I’d like to see the multi-tongue Variations knob have marks or detents that show where the values of each variation are so as not to hunt them down. Other SA libraries show a scaled series of vertical lines that show the different variations.

Also, YES to time-stretched Shorts!

Yeah, not knowing what this ominous wheel does is not intuituve at all.

I haven't had that much time to go through and play the BBCSO yet but my main issues so far is with the Brass, in particular the Horns solo and Horns section. You can really hear the crossfade between the dynamics on the horns. Id also like if they included the cuivre as the top dynamic layer for the longs and legato patches on the brass instruments.

Get rid of the preview sounds (or at least give an option to disable it).
It only slows down loading time by accessing all instrument sample files.
Everyone who uses BBCSO should know how a flute/oboe/violin/marimba... sounds.

Customization option for the default order of the Mics

For me that would be: Mix 1 / Mix 2 / Spills

Top Bottom