What's new

Feature Request: Dark UI theme

Isn't this making reading more difficult? Darker colors tend to eat lighter colors, so light text on a dark background should make reading text more difficult.

A general setting that I find useful is lowering the color temperature, that is, having a more reddish tone. This is made automatically on the most recent iOS devices, and can be done on the Mac with f.lux. I know there are similar utilities for Android (maybe the same f.lux).

Paolo

@josh, have you tried all the other theme selections (bottom left, click and select another theme)?

Editing the theme could possibly work,
I'll keep that in mind and see if it can be done without too much investment, though a "browser" solution/app could be the ticket as it would cover your web activity globally.

@josh, have you tried all the other theme selections (bottom left, click and select another theme)?

Editing the theme could possibly work,
I'll keep that in mind and see if it can be done without too much investment, though a "browser" solution/app could be the ticket as it would cover your web activity globally.

Are you saying there already are some customization settings somewhere?? Where is this?

Are you saying there already are some customization settings somewhere?? Where is this?

Not really, no. Different themes have been tried but never completed. Some are still available to select. If you click on Core Child on the bottom left, you will see the, but none are dark themes. And they are no guaranteed to work properly across platforms. Sorry...

08b1cfbaae453347611f2386d8d38979.png 1729fafed1acecbb398923a06c18258f.png

IMG_3784.jpg

Last edited:
Just showing an implementation example. This Tapatalk now. They have a toggle setting to switch to night reading mode. AKA dark theme.

They used to have multiple UI theme chioces, but this simplification makes sense and in better.

If you want to get really fancy! Add a night reading mode and a separate choice to automatically switch to night mode based on the users time zone + sunset and sunrise times.

Just showing an implementation example. This Tapatalk now. They have a toggle setting to switch to night reading mode. AKA dark theme.

They used to have multiple UI theme chioces, but this simplification makes sense and in better.

If you want to get really fancy! Add a night reading mode and a separate choice to automatically switch to night mode based on the users time zone + sunset and sunrise times.

OK, but here is what I see... :)

de8dfd0dfa2916e278b4a35e9c4ca029.png

Last edited:
Hey Josh, excellent find! Can you share where you got this? I suspect others may want to know about it too.

Regards,

Andre

Hey Josh, excellent find! Can you share where you got this? I suspect others may want to know about it too.

Regards,

Andre

If your referring to the picture of the settings menu, that's from an iOS app called Tapatalk. Tapatalk is a forum viewer app to that lots of online forums can be viewed through. I pointed it out because I particularly like how is handled the feature of a having a dark theme. Years ago you could choose between multiple themes, half light and the other half dark, but it's recent versions eliminated all of these choices and renamed named the feature (Night Reading Mode). From a UX design stand point that's a really nice way of going about it.

Last edited:
Not really, no. Different themes have been tried but never completed. Some are still available to select. If you click on Core Child on the bottom left, you will see the, but none are dark themes. And they are no guaranteed to work properly across platforms. Sorry...

08b1cfbaae453347611f2386d8d38979.png 1729fafed1acecbb398923a06c18258f.png

BTW I only get 2 options of themes not all of those shown in the picture. I get the choice of "Full width Core Child" and "Core Child"

BTW I only get 2 options of themes not all of those shown in the picture. I get the choice of "Full width Core Child" and "Core Child"

Ah, sorry, only admins can see the others. But there are no dark themes at this time. May be part of a future revamp of the site, based on an update of the software the forum is using.

Top Bottom