What's new

Favorite String Ensemble Patches/Libraries?

jneebz

I'm basically looking for a string ensemble library with a good balance between tone and playability, that could make a final mix for a mid-budget film score. I would layer top lines with Hollywood Strings and CS2. Need standard orchestral sections, not chamber size. Can't afford Spitfire SS.

I already own Albion I (too much sucking effect), CS2 (too much noise), and Hollywood Strings (the Full Strings patch sounds muddy and playability is weird, IMO).

I have initial interest in these (I realize some include more than just strings):

1. Symphobia 1
2. Redroom Audio Palette Symphonic Sketchpad
3. OT Inspire 1
4. Cinematic Studio Strings

Any thoughts much appreciated....thanks!

Cinematic Studio Strings has nice ensemble patch but i never like turning off the legato for the strings' sustain patch. They have this weird long releases which i find it hard for writing chords but that's not the case for Cinematic Studio Brass though. strange.

I think Light Chamber Strings' ensemble sounds great as well.

Save your money until you can afford Spitfire Chamber Strings. My love for that library continues to grow though I know it doesn’t exactly fit your specific requirements (but neither does CSS).

Save your money until you can afford Spitfire Chamber Strings. My love for that library continues to grow though I know it doesn’t exactly fit your specific requirements (but neither does CSS).
Why not CSS?

CSS, and in sustain mode, you can actually trigger a rebow by holding the pedal down and pressing again the same notes (just like with legato), so you can do nice arcs like the 8Dio libraries.

CSS. It will hold over time and when you´re ready for it you can go bananas and bring on the CSSS for first chair. And the CSB. I did cheat and went for the Spitfire Studio Woodwinds, as I just wanted the close feel for the whole set up. And it does work (I then can bring on my own choice of reverb)

MOMA

Cinematic Studio Strings has nice ensemble patch but i never like turning off the legato for the strings' sustain patch. They have this weird long releases which i find it hard for writing chords but that's not the case for Cinematic Studio Brass though. strange.
When switching off the legato you can adjust the release time to your liking.

I'm basically looking for a string ensemble library with a good balance between tone and playability, that could make a final mix for a mid-budget film score. I would layer top lines with Hollywood Strings and CS2. Need standard orchestral sections, not chamber size. Can't afford Spitfire SS.

I already own Albion I (too much sucking effect), CS2 (too much noise), and Hollywood Strings (the Full Strings patch sounds muddy and playability is weird, IMO).

I have initial interest in these (I realize some include more than just strings):

1. Symphobia 1
2. Redroom Audio Palette Symphonic Sketchpad
3. OT Inspire 1
4. Cinematic Studio Strings

Any thoughts much appreciated....thanks!

1. Symphobia has string ensembles, but the libraries focus is not on string ensemble, it is more an allrounder. So, you get string ensemble but not with many articulations and a bit limited in dynamic range. If your focus is to have an allrounder go for it.
2. No idea, I don´t have it.
3. I saw the walkthroughs, again: its not a dedicated string ensemble library. Sound is good, if you need some basic orchestral library which covers the basic articulations, go for it.
4. Wow..first dedicated string library here in your list. Well, I can recommend CSS if you like a romantic kind of darker string ensemble sound with lots of vibrato and built in performance. I like CSS a lot but I know people who exactly don´t like CSS for such reasons.

Lets add one to the list:
Hollywood Strings..oh there..you already have it. Why not working with them? CS2? Man..both are excellent string libraries..what it is.. what they don´t have so that you think you need something else?

Lets add one to the list:
Hollywood Strings..oh there..you already have it. Why not working with them? CS2? Man..both are excellent string libraries..what it is.. what they don´t have so that you think you need something else?
Thanks for your thoughts. Please see my initial post re: CS2 and Hollywood Strings ensemble patches....I’d love to make them work but the noise in the CS2 ensemble is too much and I find Hollywood Strings Full Strings patch has poor playability....but maybe I can make adjustments to make it work better....will keep tweaking I guess.

Thanks for your thoughts. Please see my initial post re: CS2 and Hollywood Strings ensemble patches....I’d love to make them work but the noise in the CS2 ensemble is too much and I find Hollywood Strings Full Strings patch has poor playability....but maybe I can make adjustments to make it work better....will keep tweaking I guess.

well, I read that. I find the Shorts in CSS pretty good and playable, the shorts are also pretty tight and on the point. Maybe check out some of the demos. Lots of people like CSS. Other than that I like Berlin Strings, but I guess thats out of your budget. What kind of orchestral music are you writing? More hybrid modern stuff? Or more classic? Because when you are more in that hybrid modern thing, then I would take a look at OT MA1.

I’ve tried this...but the Full Strings patch playability seems weird to me, just not smooth.....any advice on how to utilize that better? Because I’d love to make that work....

Don't use the full string patches for a final orchestral mix, I never found these useful. You're better off taking some time to record each string section separately, it will add a world of realism to your productions once you nail it. For a mid-budget film score, you definitely want to learn how to do this. I've never personally heard a full string ensemble patch that sounds convincing.

Top Bottom