Favorite Rhodes VST?

Discussion in 'Mixing, Post-Production, and Effects' started by Starry_Music, Mar 27, 2019.

1. playz123

playz123 Senior Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Nanaimo, BC
    Actually, if we are going to be precise, VST means "Virtual Studio Technology", and what you are saying the libraries are not are "VSTi(s). VSTi is the correct term, and I'm with you when an instrument is incorrectly referred to as a "VST". Then there's when Trilian is incorrectly spelled "Trillian". But I'm older than you and even more grouchy on occasion, so these things probably don't bother the 'young uns' very much! :) :) :)

Nick Batzdorf and Starry_Music like this.
  2. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    There are a lot of good ones and for the most part it will come down to personal preference. No two Rhodes pianos sound the same either!

my two cents, for a long time I was a big fan of the Scarbee Keyboard collection, which I purchased well before it was added to NI's lineup. The original included a third party FX plugin which I still use(now owned by Overloud). What ended up in NI is pretty good, using built in Kontakt FX. At the time, the main competition and arguments on the net were between that one and Lounge Lizard. I own that as well, but I like the feel of Scarbee's better and almost never used Lounge Lizard. Lounge Lizard has the advantage of not having GB's of samples to keep on your hard drive and load into Kontakt in order to use. I feel Scarbee's hit the sound better though and just punched through with dynamics in a way I enjoyed playing more.

Scarbee came out with something new that I haven't had a chance yet to try out, but I hear its good.

But there are lots of other alternatives, some mentioned already..which are quite good and really it will come down to personal preference. Pianoteq has some. Waves has one. LogicPro and MainStage have some. Addictive Keys has some. Arturia has some. Don't forget the GospelMusician's NeoSoul stuff. There are probably a few other notable ones I am missing. All are decent! There are even some free ones floating around out there. There is this one really dirty free one out there, I can't remember what its called right now.

3. artomatic

artomatic I Compose With My Ears

Aug 27, 2016
    Lounge Lizard stays on top for me.

4. Rv5

Rv5 Senior Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Hey, would just like to throw my recent humble Rhodes '73 offering into the mix. (Currently on sale for £10, plus for every sale a tree gets planted)

[​IMG]
    x5 round robin each with x5 release samples and x4 velocity layers, the DI was run through (James Blake's) Synthi for added character; brings phatness to the low end/mids and tickles the high end nicely with a slight splash of the Synthi's spring 'verb, into UAD pres. Wanted something a little fresh and unique.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

elpedro, Starry_Music and rottoy like this.
  5. rottoy

rottoy Plebeian

May 12, 2013
    +1
    I also recommend this wonderfully sampled Rhodes.
    It shines through a mix with a warm, round tone.​

Rv5 likes this.
  6. chillbot

chillbot Sock Muppet

Feb 6, 2014
    La Canada Flintridge, CA
    Yeah it was funny when I did my brief rhodes test a couple years ago no one could pick out the real rhodes from the others.

I love my rhodes but having to always record as audio instead of midi is a huge hassle. Want to swap old man grumpy pet peeves, why does every thread about guitars have to include the guy that says "go buy a guitar and learn how to play it."

"Hey guys what's the best shaker library"
    "Go buy a shaker and record it"

Thanks for not understanding the point of samples, asshole.

Hey the thing with the rhodes for me is it's the touch/feel. I just love to play it, but that's really the only reason I have one.

7. studiostuff

studiostuff Active Member

Dec 15, 2015
    My favorite old chestnuts:
    "I can't hear a difference, so no-one can hear a difference."
    "No really, I meant for it to sound like shit."

No arguing with an expert... :)

8. studiostuff

Dec 15, 2015
    I love my Rhodes but having to walk barefoot over glass through the desert while terrorists always shoot at me is a massive, huge, life changing, pain in the ass, hassle.

Tell us how you really feel...

But know I'm not that interested to hear you have a problem recording audio. Maybe everyone else is...

9. OP
    OP
    Starry_Music

Starry_Music New Member

Mar 27, 2019
    I had one back in the day when I was playing gigs. But thanks for the excellent advice.

10. OP
    OP
    Starry_Music

Starry_Music New Member

Mar 27, 2019
  11. KMA

KMA member

Sep 25, 2017
    Is that a 73 on a SINGLE x-stand?

I'm nervous just looking at that.:eek:

12. studiostuff

Dec 15, 2015
    I never meant to suggest samples aren't useful. I re-read my OP and I don't think I was unclear about that... Sorry to hijack. Best of luck.

Nick Batzdorf likes this.
  13. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, Jay Asher said the same thing to me today - you don't get the same keyboard feel from anything other than a real Rhodes.

I'm sure you guys are right. My Rhodes probably wasn't a good one, because what I remember of it is that its keyboard took an inordinate amount of muscle.

14. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I sold it to get a DX-7 and never looked back.

But of course the DX-7 Rhodes is very different from the Joe Sample Rhodes (written with reverence - he died too young).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    studiostuff likes this.
  15. studiostuff

Dec 15, 2015
    hahahahahaha Who didn't? :)

However, my son was graduating from HS, and while looking for something cool to give him, I happened upon an old 1973 73 key Stage Rhodes. This instrument was spectacular! In tune... no rash on the tolex... a joy to play. I gave the guy $1,000 buck for it and my son totally flipped out with joy!

He had never heard anything so cool, and loved it blindly.

So, I'm cool with samples. Use them daily... But after many years of carrying many of these beasts around and playing them all night, I may be partial to them for reasons that have nothing to do with their utility. (OK. Strippers.)

But, for me, there's a difference.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  16. Bassious

Bassious New Member

Feb 2, 2018
    My 2 cents, now that everyone is good and ornery. X2 with stigc65 would be Keyscape and NIs Scarbees. I think it is relevant to cite the performance, not just the sound. Like a Hammond they are quirky beasts
    Also, referring to someones comment that keyscape sounds too good. Yes, it is lush but the followup question should be what are you using it for? I find it doesnt always sit well in a mix because of the funny harmonics. I like Keyscape because I will swap the Rhodes with a Wurly A200 to find what I think works in the mix and dial it in from there

17. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I don't have Keyscape, but some of the built-in effects in Omnisphere, Trilian, and Stylus RMX are good at roughing up the gloss many their sounds have out of the box.

18. Personally, I would like to have the real thing more then ever, but unfortunately they're quite hard to find in my region, especially in a mint condition. About 20 years ago, I've foolishly missed an opportunity to purchase Mark II from a local musician I know and haven't come across an affordable and close source to buy one ever since.

For live performances and performing with bands, I use Kurzweil SP4-8 as my stage piano. It has quite a fine selection of Rhodes and Wurli sound that work very well in this context, though I wouldn't use them for composing.

As for the virtual ones, I have Scarbee Mark I which I like to use in conjunction with Native Instruments Replika and Phasis effects. I can't wait for NI to launch an upgrade sale for Komplete 12 not only because I'm intrigued by Choral and Flair but first and foremost, the three new ambient libraries that ship with Kontakt 6.

I've also managed to grab Mark II for free from Sonokinetic as a part of their annual "12 Days of Christmas" event. IMO, this is a very fine addition to Scarbee's library found in Komplete. I should also mention some Rhodes sounds from Kontakt Factory Library that I find very pleasing to use, especially the one called "Crunchy Expressive". Also, I like the sound of the Rhodes that Spitfire Audio sampled as a part of their new Labs scheme; it greatly reminds me on the Rhodes sound used by Vangelis on his earlier albums.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  19. Studio E

Studio E Eric Watkins

This is why I'd highly recommend at least trying the Pianoteq demo. They play amazingly well.

20. Justus

Justus Senior Member

For a rawer, dirtier "vulfpeck" sound try Gospel Musicians Neo Soul Keys.

Jonas Hallstrom likes this.