What's new

Favorite Reverb Plugin for etherial tails with movement?

Dylanguitar

Looking for a good reverb plugin that specializes in tails that kind of quiver with movement. If anybody is familiar with the reverb that comes built into the Woodchester Piano by Fracture Sounds, I'm looking for something very similar to that. I would imagine it's some combination of reverse and delay in the reverb tail.
Thanks for any recommendations.

Adaptiverb is a wonder - not just for reverb but tuned drones and sound design in general. Zynaptiq have a good sale on at the moment - I have the Zap II bundle and use a lot of it a lot - at the moment the Design bundle (which includes Adaptiverb) is not much more than Adaptiverb anyway

I have supermassive and it's OK. I just checked out some of the videos on Adaptiverb and that thing sounds great!!!
Adaptiverb really is like nothing else I've heard.

There's some kind of crazy AI Zynaptiq use that removes clashing notes left over from previous chords, notes, etc. This is is why it has this pristine tail that sounds like nothing else... Unfortunately it's pricy and a bit heavy on CPU but well worth it.

Supermassive took some time to grow on me. It wasn't until I started flipping through some free 3rd party presets did I realize it's capable of some pretty weird but useful stuff. Then again Valhalla's pretty great at that... Ubermod, VH Delay, even Space Modulator all do things way outside their description...

Overall though order of preference for me is Adaptiverb, Blackhole, Raum, Supermassive.

(Speaking of which.. I didn't mention Raum. It spent the 1st year or more installed and never touched. I actually use it all the time now. It's really great at long icy tails and very resource friendly. Sure it's not Adaptiverb but it's surprisingly much better than I thought when NI gave it away as a promo...)

Last edited:
When you say ethereal tail with movement, I immediately think of these:

Exponential Audio R4
Eventide Black Hole
Valhalla Supermassive

Maybe also these, less sure about them though:

Lexicon PCM reverb
ReLab Sonsig
ReLab LX480 Complete
I have Supermassive. it shimmers but not really what I'm looking for. I also have the LX480 which I use quite a bit, but it's just more of a standard lex emulation. I've never used the r4 but it also seems to be kind of a meat and potatoes sort of reverb. I'll check out the Black Hole. Really the best example is the reverb built into the Woodchester piano plugin. Not so much the high end information, but more the reversed swirly textures.
Here is the example

I wish they just sold the reverb part of the plugin as a separate plugin.

(Speaking of which.. I didn't mention Raum. It spent the 1st year or more installed and never touched. I actually use it all the time now. It's really great at long icy tails and very resource friendly. Sure it's not Adaptiverb but it's surprisingly much better than I thought when NI gave it away as a promo...)
I'll check it out. Thanks!

Adaptiverb is a wonder - not just for reverb but tuned drones and sound design in general. Zynaptiq have a good sale on at the moment - I have the Zap II bundle and use a lot of it a lot - at the moment the Design bundle (which includes Adaptiverb) is not much more than Adaptiverb anyway
Can't really spring for it at the moment, but It's definitely going on the wishlist.

Doesn't matter which reverb you use, you have to modulate/automate and sculp it. Use EQs/hi- lowpass/split the audio into multiple bands (before and after), sidechain/duck/gate it and/or the audio to the notes, use vibrato/tremolo/chorus/...
use a rotary speaker simulátor (aká Leslie)..
I personally use Excalibur, Cloudseed or sometimes Xenoverb or MTurboReverb for that (reverb as an 'effect') . Or Nimbus or R4. Or another ;) (I somehow don't like the free Valhalla ones and there for never bothered with the paid ones) . You need to know how to shape your reverb - špeciály the predelay and attack and diffusion

Actually it is _always_ important, to not let the reverbs (or delays) sit statically on their bus, you _always_ have to do something to them to get them out of the way of the dry signals. That's something most people somehow don't do and end up with a static fog that fights with their music for attention.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Instead of buying another reverb you could experiment with audio files that you use as Impulse Responses in a convo reverb.
(this technique is quite often used in ambient sample libraries, since it's easy to add a convo rev. in Kontakt).

When choosing suited audiofiles, you should keep an eye on sounds that have no tonal character – that are a kind of noise – and some movement.
I did this a lot (mostly about 15 years ago...). E.g. i used short sounds of rivers/streams which gave the effected signal a "watery" character.
But since the whole audio file is triggered by each sample (that's how convolution works) you have to be careful by choosing the right length and density. And to avoid resonant buildups, it's usually necessary to eq the file that's used as an IR.
To get good results you have to invest some time, but that goes for everything that has meaning.

Last edited:
Adaptiverb really is like nothing else I've heard.

There's some kind of crazy AI Zynaptiq use that removes clashing notes left over from previous chords, notes, etc. This is is why it has this pristine tail that sounds like nothing else... Unfortunately it's pricy and a bit heavy on CPU but well worth it.

Supermassive took some time to grow on me. It wasn't until I started flipping through some free 3rd party presets did I realize it's capable of some pretty weird but useful stuff. Then again Valhalla's pretty great at that... Ubermod, VH Delay, even Space Modulator all do things way outside their description...

Overall though order of preference for me is Adaptiverb, Blackhole, Raum, Supermassive.

Just remembered this thread. On sale: https://www.timespace.com/collections/zynaptiq/products/zynaptiq-adaptiverb-resythnesis-reverb

Incidentally (I don't know why I missed this before), but for the owners of the Woodchester, you can always mute the mute the piano part and keep the reverb, and pair it with another kontakt piano.

Top Bottom