What's new

Favorite Movie Soundtrack?

I don't have a favorite soundtrack because I like many of them but I mostly listen to
-Rob Lane's The Lost World (2001)
-James Newton Howard's DINOSAUR and King Kong
This reminded me that I very much like the drone sequence music by James Newton Howard in The Bourne Legacy.

I don't think there has ever been a bad score to King Kong (regardless of which version you watch). JNH's score is simply wonderful (the Central Park music + scene of Kong watching the sunrise on the Empire State Building before the ending scene get me every time), John Barry's score is also sublime, and then of course you have the Grand-daddy of them all - the wonderful original by Max Steiner. I can't comment on the sequels/spin-offs as I've not seen them...

I don't think there has ever been a bad score to King Kong (regardless of which version you watch). JNH's score is simply wonderful (the Central Park music + scene of Kong watching the sunrise on the Empire State Building before the ending scene get me every time), John Barry's score is also sublime, and then of course you have the Grand-daddy of them all - the wonderful original by Max Steiner. I can't comment on the sequels/spin-offs as I've not seen them...
Have you listened to Kong Skull Island OST?

Ah, I rather like some of his action-based stuff - he seems to have a bit of an Alan Silvestri vibe going from the scores I've heard from him (eg. Jumanji - Welcome To The Jungle). Not so sure he has quite the same emotional chops of John Barry or James Newton Howard when it comes to scoring more tender scenes - but I might be wrong. That said Skull Island really doesn't look like that type of film - it looks more like a monster rumble. Is the score (or the film) any good?

When I was 13 or 14 years old, Star Wars took over my life. Every day in PE class, during our long run, I would hum different cues to myself to pass the time, one day as the trumpets, another day as the clarinet, and that's how I learned the orchestra. My friend and I would chase each other down the hallway, roaring like TIE fighters. Many other soundtracks are wonderful, but they don't have those memories.

Zimmer's The Dark Knight scared me to death. So did Nyman's The Cook the Thief His Wife and Her Lover. His The Piano soundtrack also killed me.

My favorite?

Thomas Newman's Road to Perdition. I don't have any words. Shawshank Redemption.

You all cry to music? I do. Collisions and assonances. This is the stuff of our time.

Greg
Just watched Road To Perdition. It's been a long time since I first saw this movie but the Thomas Newman score is brilliant. The strings sound incredible.

back when i was in highschool, i was a movie geek. i find a movie recommendation on imdb top 50, didnt really care about soundtrack, until i watch studio ghibli movies ( spirited away, princess mononoke, kiki delivery service) and after watching those movie, the melody stuck in my head. then i found that joe hisaishi compose most of all their soundtrack, and also i found his concert video in youtube (joe hisaishi budokan). i love his concert, the performance is really good and better than actual recording imo.

so my favorite movie soundtrack are
1. kiki delivery service - umi no mieru machi
2. spirited away - reprise and dragon boy
3. princess mononoke - legend of ashitaka

Older - Star Wars, Newer - Interstellar, Collectively - 2001
and topping my list ..... Immortal Beloved, now there's a truly special soundtrack with a composer who's going places ;)

Last edited:
Northumbrian pipes, y'all. Like on Sting's Soul Cages. Anybody have Dirk Campbell's World Winds for Akai? I do. I'm sure it wasn't this, but that's the closest thing I have.

Greg
I actually still have the World Winds Akai format CDR. I still have my Akai S3000XL and Glyph SCSI CDR drive collecting dust somewhere in my house. Sample libraries have come a long way since those days.

I do too! I don't remember what program I used, but I turned them all into Giga format. I did the same with Liquid Grooves, IIRC.

Wish I could remember what that darn utility was. I have more to rip, but I don't want to pay sample library money for CDXTRACT.

Good times.

Another great score is the opening music "Closing In" by John Williams for Catch Me if You Can where they show the opening credits. Great piece, very clever.

Last edited:
I do too! I don't remember what program I used, but I turned them all into Giga format. I did the same with Liquid Grooves, IIRC.

Wish I could remember what that darn utility was. I have more to rip, but I don't want to pay sample library money for CDXTRACT.

Good times.
I converted a lot of my CDR's in Kontact but not all sound like they did when using with the intended Akai S3000 sampler. Liquid Grooves was a great library. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing it used on a Paul Carrack CD but that was quite a few years back.

Blade Runner
Star Wars / Empire Strikes Back
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Pretty much anything by Danny Elfman
The Fifth Element
Dredd / Tron / Dune

Those are all in my "always available" playlist for my phone. Blade Runner, however, is the one I listen to the most by a wide margin.

Edit: Man, I'm scrolling through my library and so many others I love. Mancini, Herrmann, Clockwork Orange, Legend (both Tangerine Dream and Goldsmith), The 13th Warrior, Harry Potter...

Don't make me choose!! (But if I have to choose, it's probably Blade Runner)

Last edited:
Top Bottom