Favorite MIDI CC controllers?

Discussion in 'GEAR Talk Forum' started by Virtual Virgin, Mar 26, 2019.

1. SoNowWhat?

SoNowWhat? realised I can type here

Jul 26, 2016
    Damn. Feeling some serious rig envy right now.

2. chris massa

chris massa Bass Player gone Composer

Feb 24, 2018
    I was think about moving to an NI Jam. Had an older Fadermaster that died. Using a Korg nano at the moment.

Eloy likes this.
  3. anp27

anp27 Active Member

Jul 13, 2014
    Please update us when you've expanded it, this is fantastic!

Polarity likes this.
  4. DerGeist

DerGeist Active Member

Oct 21, 2018
    I did it! Getting this going was not fun.
    IMG_20190413_203205[4257].jpg

5. jonathanparham

jonathanparham Active Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    is it easy to control articulations for say Cinematic Studio strings or Spitfire Chamber Strings? Can you 'play in' what you want?

6. danbo

danbo Active Member

Jun 14, 2018
    I have the Touche, Maschine Jam and JL Cooper Fadermaster Pro. From this I found that whatever the device is designed for is what it's really best suited for.

The Touche is weird, wish I hadn't gotten it. It can CC but wasn't really designed this way. I'm busy setting up other things but will try to get it to be a master tempo control or something. There has to be some situation it really fits into.

The Maschine Jam has a great CC mode, but it has too many buttons, kind of a shame to be using it for only a fraction of what it has. Ultimately I decided to use it for it's intended use which is a sequencer. Coming up to speed on that but it offers some interesting compositional tools.

The FaderMaster has worked out great, I really like it. Just does one thing and does it really well, 8 faders are more than enough.

7. DerGeist

DerGeist Active Member

Oct 21, 2018
    What issues are you having. Mine has been great for CC with one or two exceptions where it behaved strangely (mostly xy grids) or defaulted to backwards (up is down). Otherwise no issues.

8. danbo

danbo Active Member

Jun 14, 2018
    Don't know which you're talking about, maybe the Touche. I don't remember, it's freaked out before, spitting out CC's until I unplugged. The interface is confusing, instead of keeping it simple they have all these stupid names I have to re-remember ... OK UVI Workstation is one, an app I haven't figured out yet. Lie is another I think, maybe that's the plugin, I forget where it's at. Then configuring it is different than I would have expected in terms of the philosophy of how it spits out CC's.

OFF TOPIC
    I like software to be straightforward (maybe because I'm a software engineer by day). I work to make things simpler - all of our customers want things easier and clearer, why make it opaque? Take sample libraries, when I was first shopping I found Spitfire, went to their site and my first question was "What the hell is Albion?" I couldn't figure out what it was in a minute and so they forever lost my sale. I then went to EastWest who had the "Hollywood Strings" - BOOM. Instantly you know what it is, where it comes from and what it flavor it might have.

ON TOPIC
    The guys that did this overthought it and I don't want to spend that much energy figuring out their ideas. I'll get to it eventually and find some use for it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  9. Jdiggity1

Jdiggity1 Stroking The Frog

Jan 31, 2012
    La La Land
    You sicken me

Guffy likes this.