What's new

Favorite metal recommendations - Metalbros unite!!!

Metal fans, like many other music genres fans, have a tendency to become very conservative and narrow the possibilities of artists and start saying this or that band is not true metal.

That's the culprit. A person who is truly into music doesn't care if it's classical, rock, pop, metal, etc. as long as it has a certain value. Melodical, harmonical, tonewise instrumental/vocal, rythm, etc. Nowadays Metal just needs to be gritty and sometimes technically hard to master. Pheriphery for example are incredible when it comes to technicality, but they are not bringing anything that grabs my ears attention.

That said I was never a fan of modern metal, even of the Nu Metal Movement years ago. Maybe I am a conservative in this regard too, who knows, but there're still great bands around like Evergrey who are delivering original but great music.

Maybe we are just spoiled by the great songwriting and talent from all the old groups that somehow can't be recreated nowadays.

-)Death metal

Be'lakor (australian melodeath, listen to countless skies -the song- this is what melodeath should sound like)
Insomnium
Amon amarth (duh)
Swallow the sun (all the Horrors plus New moon)
Dark lunacy (italians, serenity & dolls are good)
In mourning (the art of a mourning kind)
Novembers doom (first albums are doom, later death, Paul has the clearest growl in the world, The dead leaf echo is great, so are Leaving this & Buried)
Draconian

-)Black metal (Not really a fan but there's 4 bands of 4 different sub genres I like)
Carach angren - symphonic black from the netherlands, gorgeous riffs vocals n lyrical stories, saw them live too)
The summoning - folk black
Antropophobia - one man band instrumental atmospheric black
Caladan brood - epic black

-) Doom metal
My dying bride (pretty famous, santuario di sangue is beautiful)
The foreshadowing (italians, amazing doom)

-) Post metal
Rosetta (best)
Cult of luna (production quality is a little rotten but nice grooves)

I also love more mainstream stuff like apocalyptica, rammstein & slipknot & maybe opeth & cradle of filth but anyway

I'll also pull a shameless plug for a friend (if you're into djent, I'm not but their sound is solid tho slightly overprocessed) Mask of Prospero

I'd love to hear your input/recommendations

That's a pretty solid list!
From what you mentioned, this could be one for you:

Since my background is not orchestral music, but metal, I will share some of my early year favorites =)

Hi,

my votes go to:
- Biomechanical: Eight moons, Empires of the world
- Communic: Waves of visual decay
- Guilt Machine
- Isis: Oceanic, Panopticon, Absence of truth, Wavering radiant
- Mastodon: Crack the skye
- Meshuggah: I, Catch 33
- Metallica: Master of puppets, Black album, S&M
- Porcupine Tree: Metanoia, In Absentia, Deadwing
- Star One: Live on earth

Porcupine Tree for me are prog rock. Whatever, they are a great band.

Coverge out of Massachusetts is my fav metal group.

TBH I only this year learned of this group through an online Berklee Music College lecture on the metal masterpiece Jane Doe. I thought Berklee were jazzers, turned out I was so wrong. One heck of a group. This song is a collaboration they did post-Jane Doe with another US group Ghengis Tron.

Another one while I think of it.
Eons ago when Metallica was touring the US via bus, one of the members was asked what they listened to inside the bus. His answer surprised me: King's X, Gretchen Goes to Nebraska.
I bought the record after that.
To me it sounded like Rush, with Beatles vocals but a heavier metal vibe.
Still listen to this one.

The last metal record I actually LOVED, was Meshuggah- Nothing. It's the only one in their catalog I truly enjoy, and I think it is special. The fusion legato leads, amazing syncopated riffs-- magic.

I also enjoyed Opeth-Heritage, but you can't even call that metal anymore. Everything else I love in metal is ancient history.

My top list that I still listen to these days are:

Opeth
Ice Nine Kills
Avenged Sevenfold
Dope
Motionless in White
Nothingface

Hello,
Many very interesting bands here, I love and seen on stage Metallica, Queensrÿche, Dream Theater... But here's one that doesn't appear here (if I read correctly): Dimmu Borgir: I find the inclusion of orchestra with the band very interesting (orchestrations are done by Gaute Storaas, a jazz bass player).

Enjoy,
Gil.

So Shadow of Intent is Dimmu+Cattle Decapitation+Black Tongue dipped in a deathcore candy shell.
Not bad at all. Im just so many years past my death metal days, I find it hard to get excited about it. These guys are good though.

So Shadow of Intent is Dimmu+Cattle Decapitation+Black Tongue dipped in a deathcore candy shell.
Not bad at all. Im just so many years past my death metal days, I find it hard to get excited about it. These guys are good though.

My friend got me into them, SOI’s guitarist is doing all of the production and engineering work on his band so he got me to check em out and as soon as I heard that song I was hooked.

Top Bottom