What's new

Favorite metal recommendations - Metalbros unite!!!

Nao Gam

Dirty little gearslut
-)Death metal

Be'lakor (australian melodeath, listen to countless skies -the song- this is what melodeath should sound like)
Insomnium
Amon amarth (duh)
Swallow the sun (all the Horrors plus New moon)
Dark lunacy (italians, serenity & dolls are good)
In mourning (the art of a mourning kind)
Novembers doom (first albums are doom, later death, Paul has the clearest growl in the world, The dead leaf echo is great, so are Leaving this & Buried)
Draconian

-)Black metal (Not really a fan but there's 4 bands of 4 different sub genres I like)
Carach angren - symphonic black from the netherlands, gorgeous riffs vocals n lyrical stories, saw them live too)
The summoning - folk black
Antropophobia - one man band instrumental atmospheric black
Caladan brood - epic black

-) Doom metal
My dying bride (pretty famous, santuario di sangue is beautiful)
The foreshadowing (italians, amazing doom)

-) Post metal
Rosetta (best)
Cult of luna (production quality is a little rotten but nice grooves)

I also love more mainstream stuff like apocalyptica, rammstein & slipknot & maybe opeth & cradle of filth but anyway

I'll also pull a shameless plug for a friend (if you're into djent, I'm not but their sound is solid tho slightly overprocessed) Mask of Prospero

I'd love to hear your input/recommendations

I'm always amused at all the sub-genre Metal (Black, Doom, Post, Viking, Grindcore, Brutal, Star Wars, etc). It's all the same, no? The music features Cookie Monster on lead vocals, screaming lyrics that can't even be understood. Ok, all that being said, I'm a fan of Children of Bodom and Nevermore. :thumbsup:

Also a prog/symphonic fan. Rush is my all time favourite, but there are so many good ones. I recently got into Sabaton (Sweden) and Trivium (USA), they are excellent.

I'm always amused at all the sub-genre Metal (Black, Doom, Post, Viking, Grindcore, Brutal, Star Wars, etc). It's all the same, no? The music features Cookie Monster on lead vocals, screaming lyrics that can't even be understood. Ok, all that being said, I'm a fan of Children of Bodom and Nevermore. :thumbsup:

Also a prog/symphonic fan. Rush is my all time favourite, but there are so many good ones. I recently got into Sabaton (Sweden) and Trivium (USA), they are excellent.

Careful now...metal fans are easily disturbed by such words. :D Nevermore, good choice, how could I forget?! And COB, their older material was amazing.

Well, since I'm old school prog metal fan who is not really into harsh vocals let me suggest two great prog bands with mostly clean vocals. Haken and Leprous. I believe they'll tour the US later this year, if anyone there is interested.

I used to be very into Metal. Nowadays, not so much, I find it very silly and fake.

Recently I listened to Metallicas Black Album. It's a masterpiece. I can't believe that after 27 years and all the posturing, still no band ever managed to write a song that's heavier than "Sad But True".

I also listened to Annihilator - Set The World On Fire. Fun album with some great guitar work.

I'm familiar with the aforementioned Haken and their album "Affinity". Quite interesting, it has a wonderful Vince DiCola type of vibe to it. But as most of these "progressive" bands, it all tends to sound a bit cold.

I used to be very into Metal. Nowadays, not so much, I find it very silly and fake.

Recently I listened to Metallicas Black Album. It's a masterpiece. I can't believe that after 27 years and all the posturing, still no band ever managed to write a song that's heavier than "Sad But True".

I also listened to Annihilator - Set The World On Fire. Fun album with some great guitar work.

I'm familiar with the aforementioned Haken and their album "Affinity". Quite interesting, it has a wonderful Vince DiCola type of vibe to it. But as most of these "progressive" bands, it all tends to sound a bit cold.

I kinda feel the same as you, I used to be a die-hard metal head, but got tired of the community (I blame Ultimate guitar) and let's face it: metal is the same as any genre - lots of bands, but only a few are worth listening to. And while were at it, one of my favorites is Devin Townsend. Listen to Addicted and thank me later. :)

Devin is too out there for me, gives me a headache. A lot of times it sounds like some weird practical joke.

Dude was also responsible for one of the best Metal songs of all time though - Strapping Young Lad's "Detox".

Definitely not the same (that's like saying Megadeath and Metallica are the same).

There is certainly a stereotypical platform that so many cookie cutter metal bands have chosen to adopt (for whatever reason), but the good bands know how to deviate from the herd.

Unfortunately, there are more bands that like to mimic, than there are that like to create something new (It's like that with every genre of music though.)

...Djent has gotten out of control.

Last edited:
Hear hear. I too have gotten old lately, and not many new metal bands spark any of the enthusiasm I used to have for metal. The latest Shinedown album was nice, great to hear them diversifying their music. Alter Bridge anyone? Great alternative metal band, The Last Hero was a good album and I think they're about to release a new record.

And to say all metal genres are the same is pretty much as accurate as saying all classical music is the same ;)

Reactions: J-M
I don't think anyone is saying all metal genres are the same (believe me, I'm a huge metal head). I just think it's funny how the sub genres start splitting hairs, most notably "Death Metal". I mean, the actual band "Death" started the whole Cookie Monster genre (for lack of a better term) in California back in the 80's....there's now countless sub genres that sprouted up over the years.

I don't think anyone is saying all metal genres are the same (believe me, I'm a huge metal head). I just think it's funny how the sub genres start splitting hairs, most notably "Death Metal". I mean, the actual band "Death" started the whole Cookie Monster genre (for lack of a better term) in California back in the 80's....there's now countless sub genres that sprouted up over the years.
Hairs had to be split, because there were notable differences within the genre. Dumb analogy, but It's like dog breeds. Look at all the different types of terriers.

Here's one of my favorite "metal" bands...

Snot released their debut album, "Get Some", in '97. They were heavy, but also had a certain groove to them. They were a mix of metal, punk, and funk. Unfortunately, their singer, Lynn Strait, died in a car accident shortly after the album's release. His dog, Dobbs (seen on the album cover), also died in the car accident.

I got to meet Lynn once, and he was honestly one of the nicest dudes I had ever met. He treated me like more of a friend than a fan.

I have long phases where I don't listen to metal at all anymore, but recently I've been getting into another black metal phase and discovered these guys a few days ago:

The polish black metal scene seems to have a few gems that I never heard of before. These guys seem interesting too, but I haven't heard much of them yet (and they're maybe ever so slightly overdoing it with the skulls and bones on their outfits...):

I don't like the live sound of either, they sound better on the albums. But I thought maybe the non-black-metal-fans can at least get a chuckle out of these outfits.

I have a hard time putting into words why I like one band and another doesn't interest me. So I totally understand if every band in the genre sounds the same to people who don't like this kind of stuff.

Is there anyone here who makes black metal with virtual instruments?

Portal and Svartidauði have tickled my imagination in recent years.

Special mention to The Great Discord as a guilty pleasure.

Is there anyone here who makes black metal with virtual instruments?

Can you define what qualifies as "making"? A ton of bands use all sorts of VI's, but guitar is something which is very rarely used as a virtual instrument.

Top Bottom