What's new

Favorite Max for Live instruments/effects for sound design?

sound design in terms of doing odd ambiences, pads, rythmic pulses, hits, braams and that sort of things.

Not sound design but I "made" (really pulled apart and reassembled multiple user patches, although it took over a week) a patch for a composer/drummer who wanted a to be able to play a midi drum and and trigger a predetermined sequences of notes, like on a dulcimer patch. He also wanted to be able to repeat the last note played, play an octave and a designated interval above it. I'm not sure he ever used it but I sure have. Being able to trigger notes, chords, etc. with M4L and other stuff like Xfer Cthulu off the tempo grid is pretty cool.

Iota by Isotonik Studios is imho one of the best tools for sound designers out there. Very, very underrated. It allows you to manually select parts of a sound spectrogram (i.e. frequency range and duration), which are then "granulized" and looped. You can select multiple areas and assign each loop to a keyboard key. Very creative and inspiring.

Iota by Isotonik Studios is imho one of the best tools for sound designers out there. Very, very underrated. It allows you to manually select parts of a sound spectrogram (i.e. frequency range and duration), which are then "granulized" and looped. You can select multiple areas and assign each loop to a keyboard key. Very creative and inspiring.

This looks great! Thanks

very very cool. yes, defnitly very different from the examples on the product page.

seems a little like padshop but with fm?

Granulator II is pretty fun.
It's free: https://roberthenke.com/technology/granulator.html

I like it for risers, power downs and mecca-whoosh-hits.

Here are a few examples. From obvious to less obvious use.
I really like how it cleans up the lowend. The granular cycles creates a bass pitch, so it's more tonal (less noisy).

HOLY SHIT!!!

I was wondering how close is Csound to MaxDSP (or Max for Live). I've been looking into Csound but I'm not much of a Max user. Also, I have Reaktor. Wondering if similar results can be achieved with it.

What I'm looking for is a way to manipulate found sounds into unique ambient textures. But, to be also to get some Boom smackalakca like your example will be good too.

Thank you @josejherring

Csound is great but has a very steep learning curve. Also, I have yet to hear any demos that I can't recreate with a synth.

Max4Live is a bit more user-friendly. Easier to code and more visually stimulating.
Sonically, it can do some crazy sonic stuff. The grain is one example, but other users have created modules that separate tonal from noise signals (I forgot the name).

Reaktor is also very good. I don't know about the scripting learning curve, but the community has put out some great engines.

This is brand new, have yet to try it but very tempted:

Top Bottom