Favorite Epic Percussion Mapping/Organization?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Land of Missing Parts, Mar 13, 2019 at 10:53 AM.

1. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts Confabulous Fop

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    I picked up Drum Fury, a haphazard collection of lovely sounding large perc hits. However, it appears that this library really requires you to organize and customize it, rather than being organized out of the box the way something like HZ Perc is.

Which got me thinking--I don't really have a coherent system for organizing my epic percussion, since up until now I haven't really tried to write much in that style. There's not a lot of uniformity among the mappings in the epic perc I have.

So I'm wondering how folks have tackled this. What systems are people using to organize their epic perc across the keyboard, and across different libraries?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019 at 12:15 PM
    richardt4520 likes this.
  2. unclecheeks

unclecheeks New Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Oof. Getting a serviceable percussion template has been the bane of my existence... although my needs vary widely from track to track so that might not even be a realistic expectation.

Most of the time I just drop a bunch of kontakt patches into an Ableton rack (each as a separate instance), then spend time in the key range editor and use the pitch device to offset the midi in cases of overlapping notes. Pretty painful. A nice trick is to also add an Ableton drum rack inside the instrument rack, then drop in empty audio clips onto the cells and rename them to whatever those midi notes are triggering. Works nice since then you can see what notes correspond to what sound in the piano roll.

In some cases, like with the 8dio studio percussion, I spent a couple of days sampling each instrument at multiple velocities, then chopping all that up and throwing it in Ableton samplers INSIDE a drum rack (each with pitch, decay, etc controls). Now I have a yuuuuuge Ableton drum rack (without round robins though) with all the different percussion sounds in one device. No need to load multiple patches in kontakt.

If you're using kontakt, someone released a script that lets you intercept incoming midi and remap it to different notes/channels. Forget the name of it now, but might be useful for if you need to control multiple patches from one midi channel.

Land of Missing Parts likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts Confabulous Fop

Jan 27, 2013
    Hogwarts
    Thanks. In Kontakt I find that more often than not it's easiest to just go to the mapping editor and drag the samples to the keys I want.:)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019 at 9:38 PM
  4. unclecheeks

unclecheeks New Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Das ist true.. And I supposed one could copy/paste zones from one patch to another to create a mondo patch as long as one does not care about any fancy scripting/fx.

I dream of a well-rounded Kontakt percussion collection, with the ability to swap drums on the fly for each key, plus some basic pitch and envelope-shaping controls for each key/sound... cmon, devs!!

Maybe the upcoming orchestral expansion for Superior Drummer 3 is that sort of thing, but that's overkill for me (cost, plus 230gb of disk space for SD3 alone! :eek:)

5. chocobitz825

chocobitz825 Active Member

Aug 7, 2018
  6. Ruffian Price

Ruffian Price Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Or open multiple patches in one instance assigned to a single MIDI channel, then edit their zones to cover your desired ranges.