What's new

Favorite cinematic/orchestral percussion kit for kontakt

Transients

I have many percussion libraries (spitfire,OT, Damage etc) but still i miss/looking for a kit or kontakt .nki which has a full kit spread across the keys. Theres usually one .nki for each percussion type. For instance if we look at Damage Studio Armageddon Kit, its almost perfect but still it lacks flams and rolls and modwheel control. Theres no problem if you prefer to build bit by bit percussion elements on a track. But it makes it hard when playing live. I was thinking if its possible to create a custom .nki and pick favorite hits from different libraries and combine these into one single .nki percussion kit.
I have no experience when it comes to editing in kontakt or if its even possible.

Would like to know how you prefer to record orchestral and cinematic percussion elements. Do you use a kit or different kontakt patches?

MartinH.

I have many percussion libraries (spitfire,OT, Damage etc) but still i miss/looking for a kit or kontakt .nki which has a full kit spread across the keys. Theres usually one .nki for each percussion type. For instance if we look at Damage Studio Armageddon Kit, its almost perfect but still it lacks flams and rolls and modwheel control. Theres no problem if you prefer to build bit by bit percussion elements on a track. But it makes it hard when playing live. I was thinking if its possible to create a custom .nki and pick favorite hits from different libraries and combine these into one single .nki percussion kit.
I have no experience when it comes to editing in kontakt or if its even possible.

Would like to know how you prefer to record orchestral and cinematic percussion elements. Do you use a kit or different kontakt patches?
There's probably some sort of script or plugin that can be used to assign input keys to different midi notes and route them to the different single-instrument patches in one kontakt instance. E.g. you could load toms, taikos, cymbals and timpani as individual Kontakt patches on midi channels 2,3,4,5 and play your input on channel 1. All you need would be a script or plugin that allows you to route certain note ranges from midi channel 1 to the playable notes of the individual patches. I'd assume that to be much less work (and much less problematic EULA-wise) than making your own patch.
I believe I have seen such a script as a Kontakt script advertised here, but can't remember what it's called.

unclecheeks

There's probably some sort of script or plugin
I believe I have seen such a script as a Kontakt script advertised here, but can't remember what it's called.
I think you're talking about Note Matrix -
Don't have it myself, as I programmed something that does essentially the same thing in Max For Live.

OP
Transients

Transients

At the moment im trying Orchestral Tools Symphonic Harp.
Actually its kind of the same problem. Lets say i load 2 glissandi .nki
One down and one up. Both .nki/articulations have the samples mapped to the same keys c3-c4. While all other octaves are empty. This means i have to play and record glissandi up first and then stop recording and layer the glissandi down. For composing i guess its ok, but for playability i dont understand this approach and why its laid out like that. Is this something i have to tweak myself.

unclecheeks

At the moment im trying Orchestral Tools Symphonic Harp.
Actually its kind of the same problem. Lets say i load 2 glissandi .nki
One down and one up. Both .nki/articulations have the samples mapped to the same keys c3-c4. While all other octaves are empty. This means i have to play and record glissandi up first and then stop recording and layer the glissandi down. For composing i guess its ok, but for playability i dont understand this approach and why its laid out like that. Is this something i have to tweak myself.
I do this with Live racks and Pitch offsets, but I think you could probably fix that with Note Matrix in Kontakt, since it allows you to remap incoming notes. You could use C2-C3 for one harp, moving the outgoing notes up one octave to trigger one harp, then C3-C4 can remain the same for the other.

LudovicVDP

Drum Fury from Sample Logic has a transpose knob which allows you to easily chose the range of the keyboard you want to use for each NKI. You can build your own rack with all the NKI you want and spread everything on the whole keyboard. The only thing is that the keyboard in Kontakt will only show the colored notes of one NKI at the time. And you'll have to remember which note plays what.

Top Bottom