What's new

Farenheit 451 - Bernard Hermann (video with score)

This is an amazing score... at times disturbing, then comforting, then full of wonder, then menace... there's always something slightly wrong, even in the happiest moments... a small (wholly intentional) fleck in the perfection somehow... brilliant.

Reminds me of The Handmaids Tale in many ways (and there's an obvious thematic connection / lineage there of course).

Essential Hermann:

All the Hitchcock's including Torn Curtain (Re-used two cues in Cape Fear Remake)
Seventh Voyage Of Sinbad
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Walking Distance ( Twilight zone)
Fahrenheit
Taxi Driver ( the score he insisted the finished record on the first of two days booked!....He died that night)
Obsession
Cape Fear
Citizen Kane
Five Fingers
Journey To The Center Of The Earth ( two chords.......entire score!!!)
Mysterious Island
On Dangerous Ground

He worked with a timings sheet from watching the film a couple of times, Usually at the Kitchen table...sometimes with a piano but a lot was just in his head. Yet he was an unhappy man, he really wanted to be a great Conductor. His friends adored him, his enemies ( and there where a few) not so much

The Heart At Fires Center is a Fabolous book all about him.

Best

e

Essential Hermann:

All the Hitchcock's including Torn Curtain (Re-used two cues in Cape Fear Remake)
Seventh Voyage Of Sinbad
Fahrenheit
Taxi Driver ( the score he insisted the finished record on the first of two days booked!....He died that night)
Obsession
Cape Fear
Citizen Kane
Five Fingers
Mysterious Island
On Dangerous Ground

He worked with a timings sheet from watching the film a couple of times, Usually at the Kitchen table...sometimes with a piano but a lot was just in his head. Yet he was an unhappy man, he really wanted to be a great Conductor. His friends adored him, his enemies ( and there where a few) not so much

Best

e

Also forgot to mention The Ghost and Mrs. Muir & (North by Northwest and Psycho) mentioned by @Matt Godbey

Now we just need a biopic of BH!!!!! That would be wonderful!!!

There is a documentary..

Last edited:
Essential Hermann:

Seventh Voyage Of Sinbad
Fahrenheit
Obsession
Cape Fear
Citizen Kane
Five Fingers
Mysterious Island
On Dangerous Ground

Best

e
The Balloon cue from Mysterious Island is incredible. Herrmann should be up there in the pantheon of great composers of the 20th century as he introduced a new music and approach to film. Additionally he had his own sound which didn’t overtly borrow from late 19th century romanticism. A true individual. Also a fan of Charles Ives and Bartok (clearly being inspired by the instrument line up of Music for Strings… for F451) :)

He was just extraordinary. Re-invited film music really. So much out of so little and was treated appallingly by his greatest collaborator.

best

ed
Absolutely,

he was one of a kind, so unique and incomparable.
One of my all time favorite.

If I listen to Herman, he surprises me till now.
Just few seconds of a Herman score, and I can’t stop listen to it.

There is some magical mix of composing, orchestration and musical-psycho-human character painting going on in his scores, which can be painfully close, intimate, disturbing, stunning beautiful and always surprising.

*And @soundofmaw thanks for this piece of Fahrenheit 451

Random interview with BH:

I LOLed at this excerpt:

R.S.B.: You always seem to have an instrumental conception of every picture you do.

B.H.: Always. Color is very important. And this whole rubbish of orchestration is so wrong. You know, they make everything shit. I always tell them, “Listen, boys. Don’t give me this shit. I’ll give a thousand dollars. I’ll give you the first page of the Lohengrin prelude, with all the instruments marked. You write it out. I bet you won’t come within 50 percent of Wagner.” To orchestrate is like a thumbprint. People have a style. I don’t understand it, having someone orchestrate. It would be like someone putting color to your paintings.

Jane Eyre, may be Herrmann’s most beautiful score. It’s a stunner. I’m also a fan of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (Herrmann’s personal favorite of his own works I’ve often heard.) The Main Title is every bit as hip and arresting today as when it was written. So many great, and now iconic scores from him.

Top Bottom