What's new

Falcon is worth buying

Just to prepare myself for the future - what's the issue with tempo syncing? Falcon as a whole is temp synced, so I assumed that the effects, arp, etc. were all temp synced. I'm guessing it is something more sophisticated as it requires scripting.

Also, so any of you use a slave computer to run CPU heavy synths and platforms? Obviously not much good if you need to stay mobile, but I was perhaps naivey hoping to to do that to solve some of my issues. Again, in the future.

(Is it bad that I have three degrees but had to look up how to spell 'naively'? No humble-bragging here; just horrible spelling and an academic career.) (Edited twice due to mistyping 'tempo' twice.)

Also, so any of you use a slave computer to run CPU heavy synths and platforms? Obviously not much good if you need to stay mobile, but I was perhaps naivey hoping to to do that to solve some of my issues. Again, in the future.

Not me. I use one computer and a couple of powerful hardware synths. I used to have a slave computer, but I am not a fan of having to deal with multiple computers anymore. Now I load the essential in VEP, and run the rest on Cubase. When I'm low in RAM, I just freeze some of the instruments within Cubase.

Just to prepare myself for the future - what's the issue with tempo syncing? Falcon as a whole is temp synced, so I assumed that the effects, arp, etc. were all temp synced. I'm guessing it is something more sophisticated as it requires scripting.

(Is it bad that I have three degrees but had to look up how to spell 'naively'? No humble-bragging here; just horrible spelling and an academic career.) (Edited twice due to mistyping 'tempo' twice.)
OK so tempo-sync per-se is in Falcon, but lets say you build a drum machine, with a sequencer, and you want to let the user press play - but for the sequencer to wait until the first beat of the next bar to start - last time I looked(and I admit this was a while ago) - not possible in Falcon LUA...

OK so tempo-sync per-se is in Falcon, but lets say you build a drum machine, with a sequencer, and you want to let the user press play - but for the sequencer to wait until the first beat of the next bar to start - last time I looked(and I admit this was a while ago) - not possible in Falcon LUA...
Great, I understand now. I don't know if that's possible in LUA yet, but I know what to look out for now.

I also still have two mistyped instances of 'tempo'. I must have been tired...

Last edited:
I know that Simon Stockhausen is planning to do more individual instruments for Falcon. He seems very keen on it, but he isn’t working on it right now.
Just bought Falcon today, and the Stockhausen libraries sold me on it. (I've been using MachFive for many years, and have had my eye on Falcon for quite awhile).

I find Falcon is truly impressive and inspiring, and just having the Stockhausen sounds would be fine along with the factory content. But, there is so much that Falcon is capable of doing.

Falcon 2 is the 'best of' many different synths put together. Excellent!

After hearing so many rave reviews and being impressed by quite a few demos, I grabbed it along with a few expansions on the recent sale. I haven’t gotten deep into it yet, but I have to be honest and say that most of the sounds I’ve heard so far really didn’t impress me much. So many are kind of bland and don’t give me a whole lot of “wow factor.”

I’m finding that with a lot of demos, it gets very frustrating because they sound stunning, but of course it’s impossible to know how much of what you are hearing is coming from just that particular library/expansion, how it was mixed/processed, etc. - so you grab that particular library or expansion only to be disappointed that the individual sounds aren’t particularly special.

From all the rave reviews, it was hyped to be on the level of Omnisphere, but on a purely sonic level, Omnisphere runs circles around what I’ve heard in Falcon so far, with a few exceptions.

I will say this though: Falcon certainly seems to have an advantage for a skilled sound designer. Just by digging a little bit into a few patches I liked, I could see vast potential. It has a staggering amount of power under the hood. So, maybe it’s just a matter of finding the right sounds/expansions. But IMO, my current crop of favorite synths just sound “expensive” and inspiring at every turn: Dune, Spire, Avenger, Omnisphere, etc.

Here’s hoping I just have to discover some consistent gems for Falcon, because it certainly seems capable!

From all the rave reviews, it was hyped to be on the level of Omnisphere, but on a purely sonic level, Omnisphere runs circles around what I’ve heard in Falcon so far, with a few exceptions.
What you're actually saying is that Omni has better presets/samples, right?

What you're actually saying is that Omni has better presets/samples, right?
You could possibly boil it down to that, which is of course a very subjective opinion on my part - but I think the rest of my post needs to be read for context. I was just really underwhelmed by the majority of what I’ve heard so far, especially when compared to the other plugins I mentioned. But that’s not to say it’s not capable…

You could possibly boil it down to that, which is of course a very subjective opinion on my part - but I think the rest of my post needs to be read for context. I was just really underwhelmed by the majority of what I’ve heard so far, especially when compared to the other plugins I mentioned. But that’s not to say it’s not capable…
I know what you mean. Honestly, I think everything UVI releases does sound passé, in a way. Unlike Spectrasonics which has top notch sound designers.

That's not to say the tools themselves aren't good, but that UVI is more of a DSP software development company than a sound design one.

It's a shame UVI doesn't have more interest in working with third parties.

I know what you mean. Honestly, I think everything UVI releases does sound passé, in a way. Unlike Spectrasonics which has top notch sound designers.

That's not to say the tools themselves aren't good, but that UVI is more of a DSP software development company than a sound design one.

It's a shame UVI doesn't have more interest in working with third parties.
Yeah, that's been my limited experience with them as well. Honestly the ratio of sounds that I'd really use with Falcon so far is pretty low, so unless I find some expansions that really floor me, I'll probably sell it. I'm just not hearing enough that's really impressing me so far...

Yeah, that's been my limited experience with them as well. Honestly the ratio of sounds that I'd really use with Falcon so far is pretty low, so unless I find some expansions that really floor me, I'll probably sell it. I'm just not hearing enough that's really impressing me so far...
Those who buy Falcon primarily for preset surfing may be disappointed. It's hardly intuitive and you get 10X more presets with Omni or Arturia V collection. For sound design however Falcon is brilliant.

I was wondering if buying Falcon made sense having Omnisphere / Serum / Phaseplant.

Won't that duplicate?
Falcon has no ability to self-modulation of modulators (lfo1 > lfo1 phase etc) unfortunately, what you can do in Phaseplant as far i remember (in Arturia Pigments too, for example). This can give pretty complex interesting interaction tricks, different in the feel of the process and by result ,if compare to usual relation between modules.
(Due to this, it seems to me that comparing it with a modular design is also not exactly correct.)

For buying Falcon definitely worth though (i did, and no regrets here, one of the best grain engine by sound in certain config), but some great modulation sucker can catch little bummer.

For buying Falcon definitely worth though (i did, and no regrets here, one of the best grain engine by sound in certain config), but some great modulation sucker can catch little bummer.
Crusher-X is the one to beat for pure granular. HALion's granular engine is somewhat more flexible than Falcon's.

Crusher-X is the one to beat for pure granular. HALion's granular engine is somewhat more flexible than Falcon's.
Yes, but i rather meant certain method - spraying (or smear) of grains, that quite popular task among such type devices though, but it seemed to me that Falcon's (or his Ircams) does this somehow more special \ beautifully, compare to many other engines which i been check time by time at similar purpose.
Although, a number of years have passed since then, but this feeling remained with me, perhaps a subjective thing (or that difference would seem insignificant to another user). Will not claim, but i should was express this.

CrusherX in my opinion very suitable for experimenting with "clean scanning", perhaps can say he is the best for this method. Not to mention his other very valuable side, this is all that what go beyond the usual use of granulars (either as fx or a sampler using, multichannel design, fun autotune generativity, multitonal instant droning, physical movement modulator etc).

However, a person who wants to make fun of the sound should have all this.

After hearing so many rave reviews and being impressed by quite a few demos, I grabbed it along with a few expansions on the recent sale. I haven’t gotten deep into it yet, but I have to be honest and say that most of the sounds I’ve heard so far really didn’t impress me much. So many are kind of bland and don’t give me a whole lot of “wow factor.”

I’m finding that with a lot of demos, it gets very frustrating because they sound stunning, but of course it’s impossible to know how much of what you are hearing is coming from just that particular library/expansion, how it was mixed/processed, etc. - so you grab that particular library or expansion only to be disappointed that the individual sounds aren’t particularly special.

I will say this though: Falcon certainly seems to have an advantage for a skilled sound designer. Just by digging a little bit into a few patches I liked, I could see vast potential. It has a staggering amount of power under the hood. So, maybe it’s just a matter of finding the right sounds/expansions. But IMO, my current crop of favorite synths just sound “expensive” and inspiring at every turn: Dune, Spire, Avenger, Omnisphere, etc.

Here’s hoping I just have to discover some consistent gems for Falcon, because it certainly seems capable!
I completely get what you are saying. Seems many here agree about the included presets. I am a sound designer by trade and spent all day making presets, demos, sound packs etc… so I don't really care about the included presets as I won't use them, I only make my own! I also own and use every synth you mentioned and a ton more. Falcon is an absolute beast, and in my opinion easily rivals Omnisphere, not for presets, but for workflow and options. Omni is great too, but I think people get it for the insane amount of sounds it comes with, for that fact I think they are a bit different. I would happily work with UVI on creating patches that make Falcon shine, but I am actually working on my own sound bank now. :)

I'm just beginning to learn Falcon. I'm just amazed at the sound quality and regret having not purchased it sooner. Looking forward to mastering it.
Yes, the sound quality is impressive. I really like the distortion effects and the filters. Some of the best I've heard, in fact!

I completely get what you are saying. Seems many here agree about the included presets. I am a sound designer by trade and spent all day making presets, demos, sound packs etc… so I don't really care about the included presets as I won't use them, I only make my own! I also own and use every synth you mentioned and a ton more. Falcon is an absolute beast, and in my opinion easily rivals Omnisphere, not for presets, but for workflow and options. Omni is great too, but I think people get it for the insane amount of sounds it comes with, for that fact I think they are a bit different. I would happily work with UVI on creating patches that make Falcon shine, but I am actually working on my own sound bank now. :)
Yes, it certainly seems to be an engine worthy of deeper digging - but sound design is crucial for making that all-important first impression. I wish you nothing but success with your efforts!

Top Bottom