What's new

Falcon - How to re-use samples from expansion packs?

Ah that's a shame - I was half expecting this to be the case, as I couldn't find anywhere to do it. I sort of half chose the free expansion packs based on the number and size of samples... not that I'm unhappy with my choice, they're great packs (I got Lo-Fi and Inner Dimensions, both excellent), but a real shame that I can't properly leverage the contents. Just did a test, and I can edit a preset, and if I choose Save Program and Samples, it saves the edited program, but doesn't save out the samples, so I guess they just stay inside the encrypted pack - at least this is something - just have to always start from a preset, and I'm guessing there's no way of bringing samples together from different presets. Thanks for replying. I don't have Kontact, is this how Kontact works as well - you can't access the samples inside packs?
It depends. Most commercially released sample libraries do work this way to protect their content, so Kontakt libraries are mostly all encrypted in NCW files as well. Some vendors do add WAVs or choose not to encrypt though, but those are exceptions.

If you want to leverage samples I recommend having a look at some of the sample packs by Simon Stockhausen and @Empty Vessel - and also check out the Plogue Sfz libraries by Karoryfer Samples (they come with the multisampled WAVs). Of course licensing terms still do apply, but if you want to create patches for your own use in Falcon using third party samples, those are some great vendors.

Last edited:
I have created great Falcon patches using these samples:

And this is a video I keep re-posting somehow. It’s some mayhem I created using Karoryfer samples in Voltage Modular. It it SUCH an advantage to have the actual samples available unlocked for you to use… I can’t overstate how cool that is… Nothing particularly musical going on here, but it does prove a point ;)

I will check out those libraries you've linked to, sounds very interesting. I have splice - but I tend to find Splice stuff is already "produced" if you know what I mean - it's like a giant bag of ready to use song starter samples for folk that don't know how to make their own music yet. Hard to find quality actual samples in there. Black Octopus stuff seems good though. And KSHMR of course.
The stuff you already have access to may still prove useful. Load them in Falcon and IRCAM stretch them into complete obliteration - and start from there.

Ah nice - I've got Voltage Modular, it's fantastic too.... I really really like the Host VST module, as you can load fx etc straight into patches in Voltage Modular - only discovered it last week - had VM for a year, but never clicked with it, as the built in fx are, well, uninspiring and so much effort to always have to setup fx chains. But now I don't! Made some wicked bass patches last week.
Make sure to check the PSP collection. It has fantastic effects for VM and it is on sale right now for $49 which is a no brainer price.

I've got a pack mostly done in Falcon, way overdue release for various reasons. I just want to revisit it in light of the recent update, see if anything there can be added, also I finally had time to go through the LUA documentation and work out how to do custom UIs. Certainly I don't intend to lock the samples in my pack, as I never do in any of my packs, I am very happy if people can use them in other ways and other plugins! In the mean time, as Temme mentioned, Simon has some great stuff available and knows Falcon inside out!
IMO Kontakt dev just proves too much of a temptation for most sound designers as the obvious low hanging fruit but tbh I like to take the less travelled path and I am massively more inspired by Falcon. I hope that with a bit more 3rd party support, more people will get to see what it can do. It's a real desert island instrument for me, IMO the built-in FX are un-matched even though a few other powerhouse synths come close.

Thanks Bee! I've been thinking how to further convince @Empty Vessel (besides sending him a bunch of obsolete but lovely Emulator hardware, that’ll increase FedEx’s YTD profits tenfold) and I have concluded we may have to aim directly for the man’s heart and do something nice for Finnegan?

F3D4FC7A-3F05-42B8-961C-2EBAE6DCA452.jpeg
I'm more of a kidnap and threat sort of person, but okay.

Happy Birthday Finnegan! You are gorgeous!

Please set up a DONATE button to buy Finnegan a saucer of milk.

Top Bottom