What's new

Faking Round-Robin via effect plugin?

Wunderhorn

I am looking for a way to "fake" a round robin effect on a plucked instrument.
To be more precise - I fell in love with the the free Spitfire Labs "Moon Guitar". It sounds a bit like an African Kora to my ears, quite unique.
Unfortunately (and I shall not complain about this fine sounding freebie) there are no round-robins and with this kind of instrument it just is a dead give-away that we are dealing with a sampled instrument.

So I wonder if there are plugins (preferably onboard tools of Logic Pro and NI Komplete or otherwise free) that would allow to change the color of the tone randomly here and there (or via automation curve) to deflect from the missing RR. Is there such a thing? And I don't mean just ADSR variation, I mean actually alter the tone color a bit.

Any suggestions?

There's the Christian Henson "trick" (which he talked about in one of his videos) where you take a sample which is down 3 semitones, and then "tune" it back up 3 semitones to play it.

also... subtle saturation with a very slight different transient adjustment ...
subtle EQ... etc.

Do you have a link?
Also how would I set up the saturation/transient adjustment (what to use?) and how to randomize, or perhaps link it to a cc fader?

I am looking for a way to "fake" a round robin effect on a plucked instrument.
To be more precise - I fell in love with the the free Spitfire Labs "Moon Guitar". It sounds a bit like an African Kora to my ears, quite unique.
Unfortunately (and I shall not complain about this fine sounding freebie) there are no round-robins and with this kind of instrument it just is a dead give-away that we are dealing with a sampled instrument.

So I wonder if there are plugins (preferably onboard tools of Logic Pro and NI Komplete or otherwise free) that would allow to change the color of the tone randomly here and there (or via automation curve) to deflect from the missing RR. Is there such a thing? And I don't mean just ADSR variation, I mean actually alter the tone color a bit.

Any suggestions?
I think it is possible to create a custom code in Logic's Scripter that will do it with the de-tuning trick.

If it were me, I'd start by opening the Random Offset Probability script (which is part of the Factory Default scripts that come with Logic).
Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 11.22.38 PM.png

From there, I'd open the Spitfire App, right click the tune knob and assign to a cc controller.
Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 11.28.41 PM.png

So you've got a code that randomly transposes, and a controller that can affect the tune. You'd need to customize the scripter code so that each transposition will be coupled with a coresponsding cc message that undoes the transposition by de-tuning the note back to its original pitch.

Of course...that would take some coding.

I think it is possible to create a custom code in Logic's Scripter that will do it with the de-tuning trick.

Thank - you do have the right idea, unfortunately this is a bit above my head. I am actually surprised there isn't a simple plugin available to do such a trick...

Thank - you do have the right idea, unfortunately this is a bit above my head. I am actually surprised there isn't a simple plugin available to do such a trick...
In the case of Moon Guitar I think what gives it away is that the picking doesn't sound like it's alternating in both directions. To my ear, it sounds like each note was picked in one direction, and they let it ring out. I'm not sure the detuning trick would be much help in this case, I think the style is just baked into the recording.

Still...the idea of a plugin or script that applies the detuning trick to create fake round robins would be cool.

Last edited:
Yes, that Moon Guitar... If they would do it again with alternate plucking and round-robin I'd be happy to pay for the upgrade.

Top Bottom