What's new

Faderport Hack

Finally, thank you again, Gerhard, for your support. As said, it works as follows:

After pressing Rewind the FaderPort fader controls the volume fader in Cubase. Also the volume fader in Cubase controls the FaderPort fader which means if you move the volume fader in Cubase the FaderPort fader moves accordingly.

Pressing the following buttons initiates the FaderPort fader to send MID Data to the following CCs:
Fast Fwd: CC 1
Stop: CC 11
Play: CC 7
Record: CC 21
Shift: CC 22
Punch: CC 23
User: CC 24
Loop: CC 25

This should work with every VST Instrument. I have tested this in Kontakt with Native Instruments Symphony Series, in Play with EW Hollywood and in Vienna Instruments with Synchron Strings I.

...i didn't buy it to do somethings presonus didn't advertise in the first place.
It's the 100mm fader that taunts us, just having THAT for expression would be grand. If you use the power supply the fader is motorized. If you just use USB bus power, the unit works except for the motorized fader, it's just a 100mm fader. It's like one-channel JL Cooper FaderPort. THAT'S why we want PreSonus to blast the firmware and make it happen. In 2008 the first DSLR with video appeared, 5D Mark II, but only did 30fps. We HAMMERED Canon for 18 months to give us 24fps, relentlessly, and were told it can't be done, etc etc. In March 2010 a new firmware update was pushed out. Wanna guess the top feature was? :grin: This is why we REALLY push PreSonus on the FaderPort 8... motorized 100mm faders that can't do CC?? AAAUUGGHHHH!!!!!!

Hi everyone, per your continued request, I present the following. I hope this helps you out!

As part of the latest firmware in the Presonus Universal Control version 3 release, we added TWO new features into the FaderPort 8 and 16. We’ve added a dedicated operation mode for Ableton Live and a dedicated MIDI CC operation mode so that the all buttons, knobs, and faders can transmit CC MIDI messages. These can be mapped to any MIDI software or plugin but are already pre mapped to useful MIDI CC assignments like Modulation, Expression, Pan, Portamento, etc.

Please see the latest version of the FaderPort 8 and FaderPort 16 manual for the default assignments.

https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/d...aderPort-16-8_OwnersManual_EN_V3_25032019.pdf

To update to the latest firmware, please download the latest version of Universal Control from the application via the "File" >> "Check for Updates" menu. Once installed and your device is connected, you will be prompted to update your FaderPort 8 or FaderPort 16.

This post is a few months old but it's still worth commenting... kudos to PreSonus for FINALLY adding CC control to FaderPort 8! (I assume 16 also). I finally got the chance to test it all tonight with Cubase 10 Pro and my M-Audio CODE61, and having that smooth 100mm fader melt in a Gm chord in SCS was no short of goosebumps. Even just using CC1 and CC11 on faders 1 & 2 alone is worth the price of admission, but PreSonus mapped a TON of CC commands to practically every control. I don't know if the CC numbers per control can be changed but that's fine by me coming from a mod wheel, lol. I mean, as a mix engineer I already have and use my FaderPort 8... to get a handed a free JL Cooper FaderMstr via a firmware update to a piece of kit already on my desk is bonkers. Yay PreSonus. Sorry I had to jump ship to Cubase for VI work but I still use Studio One for all-audio work.

kudos to PreSonus for FINALLY adding CC control to FaderPort 8!

Thank you for alerting me (and others) to this. I hadn't heard of this feature addition, yet the posting on PreSonus' Answers site was back in April!

I had given up hope, and ended up buying a Behringer X-Touch One. This change now puts a Faderport 8 back on the table for me to consider (especially being a Studio One user).

Thank you for alerting me (and others) to this. I hadn't heard of this feature addition, yet the posting on PreSonus' Answers site was back in April!

I had given up hope, and ended up buying a Behringer X-Touch One. This change now puts a Faderport 8 back on the table for me to consider (especially being a Studio One user).

How good or bad is your experience with the One, especially as a midi controller? Can one ride the fader to control parameters? Although the faderport 8 looks great, I just don't have the space. The One seems an OK option, and I would consider the new faderport one v2 if it had this functionality.

There's a one-fader controller from Icon Pro Audio coming out soon. It seems very interesting as well. I bought one of their 25 key controller and I'm very surprised by its quality.

How good or bad is your experience with the One, especially as a midi controller? Can one ride the fader to control parameters? Although the faderport 8 looks great, I just don't have the space. The One seems an OK option, and I would consider the new faderport one v2 if it had this functionality.

There's a one-fader controller from Icon Pro Audio coming out soon. It seems very interesting as well. I bought one of their 25 key controller and I'm very surprised by its quality.
I have the original FaderPort which I still use for audio editing in Studio One at church (I'm head audio guy there). The beauty of the FaderPort is it's the exact same great 100mm fader and if you don't need it motorized, you can ditch the power supply. It's buss-powered for everything except the motorized fader. Not so with FaderPort 8, that huge beast needs power 24/7.

HOWEVER, I don't think it has CC support, unless they did that for the v2. I kinda doubt it because their reasoning may be that a single fader unit is pointless, you can use a mod wheel. Thing is, you don't get the 100mm travel. Just speculation, I'd call them and see about v2. Let us know if you find out anything!

How good or bad is your experience with the One, especially as a midi controller? Can one ride the fader to control parameters?

My experience has been positive. Yes, you may ride the fader to control a CC in CC mode. You can also put in DAW mode, and then control a track's volume (say) with the fader. Mine is built like a tank and the motorized fader (it's motorized in DAW mode, but not in CC mode) is quiet.

Most of the criticism of the unit is in how it handles moving in a project beyond 8 tracks... it can be clunky in some DAWs.

I actually bought a Faderport v1 and sold it about half a year ago. I think these devices would benefit of more versatility, even if it's just one fader. I can hardly justify the space, let alone the expense, of a Faderport 8...although it looks kinda awesome, especially with the added functions.

If anyone is interested in using their Faderport for controlling CC's as I mentioned in my other poll thread, yesterday I managed to get something working which I'd be happy to share and help get set up.

I originally wanted to use key commands to switch the mode but Max can't read from the keyboard when it's in the background. Since I don't use any buttons on the Faderport, I just used those so switch modes. Any midi controller (like buttons on an iPad) could be used instead.

The tricky part is getting the fader to return to the last value (particularly in the normal mixing mode where it can be either sent from the DAW or the last value it was moved to). It still has a few bugs but seems to be working fairly well and get the job done. The bugs are just in switching between the modes where it sometimes doesn't move the fader to the correct value.

I've found that using these buttons instead of key commands ended up working better. I can have one hand on my keyboard controller and one on the Faderport and be able to easily switch which CC it's controlling. Since it returns the fader to the last value, you don't get a sudden jump in recording the CC value.

You might ask how this is different from just using a generic remote in Cubase for the volume fader (which would be much simpler to program for this). With that, it can't be touch sensitive which makes it useless for mixing so you have to use the native Faderport setup in Cubase for that which means I need to decode and encode the messages to make it work for that protocol (which is what made this tricky).

Like I said, still has some things to work out but it's largely working so if any Faderport users are interested, let me know. Feel free to steal from my Max patch.

Faderport Max.png
Hi Gerhard, I'm interested. Own a Faderport V1/classic, PC, w10, nuendo10. As I understood, I need your exe file, to get it to work. Thank you in advance.

Top Bottom