What's new

Fablehaven Books ~~~ via StaffPad

Sean J

Noise Maker

The piece is about my all-time favorite book series. I'd trade Harry Potter for Fablehaven and Dragonwatch any day. He writes for ages around 12, but there's a mature psychology, moral grasp, and clever plot twists. It's entertaining and immersive enough to have made a perfect way for me to escape for a day. I just wish he could write 52 books a year.

This is 95% StaffPad, plus subtle filtering in S1. I've explained the mix and listed which libraries were used.

Libraries used:

Woodwinds
Spitfire flutes (obviously)
Spitfire reeds, though speed required Berlin B.Clt. and Cbsn.
Berlin Bassoon 2 and Clarinet 3

Brass
Berlin Horns (with 1 Spitfire Horn for body at times)
Berlin Trumpets (1 Spitfire cause reasons)
Spitfire low brass except Bone 2

Percussion
All Spitfire
I only have the stock Piano atm. The lack of RR's are obvious, sorry.

Strings
Berlin for most things
Spitfire often for basses, especially staccato bars

Mix info:
1) Breath on a single clarinet & trumpet unnaturally pierced even at FF Tutti. Rolled off highs.​
2) Rolled off some boomy low for contrabasses, Tuba, and Timpani. Highs for bass drum to de-brighten it.​
3) Gullfoss for subtle taming and bright/warm control.​

Hope you enjoy!

pcohen12

Cincinnati Chili Connoisseur
Huge Fablehaven fan here, too!

Very much enjoyed the listen - you really captured some of the adventure and mystery of the series. I also love that you leave things to our imagination...while I was picturing the arrogant, pompous centaurs and magical, mischievous fairies, there are so many images/feelings that could be connected to this, whether someone even knows the series or not.

Well done, and thank you for sharing!

OP
Sean J

Sean J

Noise Maker
Huge Fablehaven fan here, too!

Very much enjoyed the listen - you really captured some of the adventure and mystery of the series. I also love that you leave things to our imagination...while I was picturing the arrogant, pompous centaurs and magical, mischievous fairies, there are so many images/feelings that could be connected to this, whether someone even knows the series or not.

Well done, and thank you for sharing!

I was hoping to translate exactly those ideas from the book into music, so I'm grateful for your kind words. Thanks a ton!

I was going to say "hey, I love Chili too", but ended up looking at the wiki for Cincinnati. Apparently, I've got a lot to learn before I can call myself a connoisseur.

pcohen12

Cincinnati Chili Connoisseur
You're very welcome!

My usage of the word "connoisseur" was much more inspired by the alliteration than it was by my level of expertise 😂That being said, if you like chili, you owe it to yourself to check out the cinci variant...

Top Bottom