What's new

Extended for 24hrs: Drum Fury - Apocalyptic Drums - 50% off Intro Pricing

I with @ArtTurnerMusic in that it's nice to be able to stack a bunch of single, fast-loading, low-memory instruments into a Kontakt multi - the whole stacked multi then loads quicker than most multi-mic, multi-drum, multi-articulation libs like HZ01 or whatever. It's quick-n-easy.

I've done my rock drum libraries this way forever - map all kicks/snares/toms/hats/cyms to the same sets of MIDI notes, and save each as an individual program/instrument. So I'd have hundreds of snare instruments, each occupying only four MIDI notes, each with X number of samples mapped to respond as closely as possible to the ideal. Some had dozens of velocity splits and different articulations (left hand, right hand, edge, drag) on the four notes, and some had just a single sample mapped across all four notes with velocity>filter and velocity>sample start to try and simulate those various articulations.

With a setup like that I can load multiple kick instruments to build stacks with, for instance, an Andy Wallace kick for point, a Kashmir kick for boof, a 909 for tone, and an Albini kick for room. You can load up as many as you want, and if you want to set one aside for a minute but not un-load it, just mute it or change it to an unused MIDI channel. They all stack up on the same MIDI notes and they all trigger as you record your performance, but you can adjust relative volumes, set individual outputs, etc. for each and it's way simpler than opening the hood on the individual instruments. Save the multi for that song and you're done, and you haven't edited the source instruments so you haven't messed up any other songs that use them.

Stacking drums in most libs requires duplicating MIDI tracks, or duplicating and transposing sets of notes, etc. - and this means you're not hearing the full stack until after you've recorded, edited, and duplicated the MIDI, unless you use an input transformer on your MIDI, but this is time-consuming and fiddly - and when you need to make edits you're dealing with multiple tracks, unless you use Logic's "ghost regions" feature. But even with those enhancements it's still more clumsy and fragile than just stacking inside the samplers. I often do the same thing when stacking strings, brass, etc.

So I was pleasantly surprised to see how Drum Fury was laid out, since it's very similar to how I've done drums forever.

So what you’re saying then is that you like this library? Haha

Hmmm, Think I might buy myself a Saturday treat.

So what you’re saying then is that you like this library?

I do. It's got some great sounds in there, and it's a nice change from CPU-bending monsters like HZ01 or whatever. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Spitfire - but Drum Fury is a different approach that works well for me alongside the big boys. Also don't sleep on StrikeForce and Barrage - I really like those as well.

Thanks Charlie, good perspective. Can you check the drums to see how many velocity layers (if the mapping in Kontakt shows you and there is no scripting that changes the setup) and how many round robins (how often groups change in the groups window when playing a single drum)?

Even a few of each would be better than what I suspect, 1 and 1. But with GB of short drum samples, anything is possible without blowing up the size too much.

The library is not locked down - you can open the hood on the NKI. Many instruments have what looks like 4-6 RRs, but some instruments actually have zero RRs - but on those they've done massive numbers of velocities and mapped their velocity ranges to overlap slightly, as well as recorded left-hand and right-hand hits, so machine-gunning is never heard unless you program straight sixteenths at velocity 127 on a single MIDI note. Two successive hits on the same MIDI note at velocity 125 and 127 will play different samples due to the number of velocity zones. In practice it's fine, and they've made good decisions on when to do RRs and when it's unlikely that such an instrument will be played in a way which would expose the lack of RRs. Nothing to worry about there.

If you're a RR fiend, definitely get StrikeForce - besides sounding great, it's got 16-way RR on most sounds, which is just nuts, but awesome for sounds on which you're likely to play rows of sixteenth-notes. I think it's just two mic positions (near + far) but both positions are in every instrument with mix sliders. It's a great library that has a massive sound and a really nice balance of features.

Haven't decided yet since I have so many percussion libraries already. But the GUI is by far the best I've seen in years. I hope that more developers do this: straight, simple and just what you need. A bit ironic because it's usually SL who have very cluttered GUI's with their previous libraries. :)

When you change the midi transpose does the kontakt keyboar display not reflect the change, or did i take another stupid pill this morning?

This was an easy buy, even with all the percussion I have. After hearing the sounds it is FANTASTIC! Just rich and simple. The sounds are THICK! Love it and already adding it to an idea I have tumbling around.

I do not regret it (I have all Stormdrum libs, Hollywood Perc, Albions and MAs, In Session Audio stuff, Soundiron Apoc, everything that comes with Komplete Ultimate Collectors, and some misc stuff such as 8dio). It has some things I didn't have, but it REALLY has that sound...I'll say it again, rich, simple and thick!

It might be one of the best percussion deals out there. I saw the Impact Soundworks deal but this had more variety and a heavier sound. The sound can be adjusted obviously to fit your needs. Great spaces used in the sampling process as well.

Is there any point in getting this if you already have Nine Volt Audio Stickbreakers Vol1: Toms and Vol2: Taikos?

Drum week at VI. Bought this and the Rhapsody deal. No-brainers at these prices. I like the Drum Fury interface and I like the compression and eq being on board. Unless you are going for the symphonic concert hall experience these are necessities somewhere down the line and the in-built one are fine for perc. I has all the drums... (not as many as JXL though, so I don't feel too bad)

I have so many of these sounds covered by other perc. libraries.

The special intro pricing of this library is tempting, I also like the clean GUI interface, and useful parameters it has on the GUI. But, do I need another Percussion library (specifically this one)?

For now... I'm not sure.

Any reason/s I should buy this library if I have many other Perc. libraries that cover these types of instruments ? What's so special/unique about this library that makes it worth buying if I have other similar perc. libraries ?

I do not regret it (I have all Stormdrum libs, Hollywood Perc, Albions and MAs, In Session Audio stuff, Soundiron Apoc, everything that comes with Komplete Ultimate Collectors, and some misc stuff such as 8dio). It has some things I didn't have, but it REALLY has that sound...I'll say it again, rich, simple and thick!

It might be one of the best percussion deals out there. I saw the Impact Soundworks deal but this had more variety and a heavier sound. The sound can be adjusted obviously to fit your needs. Great spaces used in the sampling process as well.

Thanks, very convincing! You got me hooked.

Hi,

OK, I purchased Drum Fury !

I haven't installed it yet, but I'm sure this library will be quite handy to have, although I have similar instruments in various other libraries I own, I decided it is a great deal, and super useful to have additional perc. options to choose from.

Oh.. and reading the many positive comments, and endorsements from well known media composers regarding Drum Fury, at the special $99 price. I felt buying Drum Fury is a no brainer as well.

Thanks Sample Logic :)

Cheers,
Muziksculp

How much of pp and p and mp levels are there? I really like to have the quiet side as well as the thunder.

Hi JohnG,

I just installed Drum Fury, and it does respond quite nicely to lower dynamic playing. But, I think the main focus with some of the epic sounds is the mid-high level dynamics, since that's their forte.

Here is a fast noodle I did using one of the Toms ensemble patches, played in real time with various dynamics.

I will post more feedback on my experience with this library.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/toms-test-1-mp3.18691/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• Toms Test 1.mp3
    503 KB · Views: 88
Top Bottom