Expressive String libraries

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by JohnMarkPainter, Mar 9, 2019.

1. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

Yes. Nothing sound like the real thing. I think sampled strings' limitation is sort of there (probably due to constraints?) unless they manage to find new way to capture the sound. The expressiveness in sample strings are sort of dull.

If you compared sample strings with the examples like "HoliStringRef" by JohnMarkPainter, the real deal sounds clean. Samples on the hand always has lots of noise. I actually dont get why sampled strings mostly can't get a clean sound. Samples are also sampled from live musicians, same as live recording. Due to Mic choices? budgeted recording ?

LASS so far is the closest in terms of "clean sound" but the timbre might not be there. CSS & Afflatus Strings so far i think are the best sounding strings and i for now shall put a stop in the hunt for strings library. Probably few more years down the road, there'll be even better sounding strings. Let's wait for another 5 years for sampling evolution. =)

2. OP
    OP
    JohnMarkPainter

JohnMarkPainter New Member

Feb 27, 2019
    Nashville, TN
    I just bought LASS Lite and am using on a project that I have to finish tomorrow!
    I think it sounds great for unisons and light portamento. I've already found limitations of course.

I'm putting a Hi Cut around 7k and that is an improvement. The bow noise tends to cut through too much....kind of Sordino-esque

3. Studio E

Studio E Eric Watkins

The Legato Sordino library is really amazing as well. Having the full LASS library really comes in handy. I own too many damn string libraries and often times, when I’m fighting the other ones, I remember that I have LASS and then just get work done. It’s worked out especially well for a few rock related projects. Enjoy!

4. Batrawi

Batrawi Active Member

Jul 9, 2016
    LASS patches load with EQ on by default. You might want to disable that if you want to start with the more raw sound and shape it to your taste.

5. OP
    OP
    JohnMarkPainter

Feb 27, 2019
    Nashville, TN
    To anyone looking at LASS, it is very CPU efficient.

Henu and JohnG like this.
  6. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

it is very CPU efficient. has anyone manage to get the sound like the ones showed in the official audio demos?

Casiquire likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    JohnMarkPainter

Feb 27, 2019
    Nashville, TN
    As always...I'd say you have to learn how to dodge the bad parts and take advantage of the good parts.
    When I first opened it up, I played some things that blew my mind RE tone and realism.
    Then when using it on this project, I played some things that sounded pretty fake.

constaneum likes this.
  8. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

ahhaha. true though.

9. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    The library is quite raw. We have to always remind new users that the modwheel should stay under halfway up for like 85% of most writing. The library is QUICK to hit F. In most arrangements it can sound like FF at a CC of like 90. So that cuts your bow nose quite a bit.

The next tip: play with the colors. Some of them are beautiful and most of them tame the bow noise.

I've found it fairly simple to get a good sound. First, a great arrangement, second, very low CC values for most of it, third, colors, and fourth, EQ. Usually I only need the first two options.

10. MOMA

MOMA Member

Apr 19, 2018
    I would recommend the combination of CSS and CSSS. If you are working in rock and pop, there probably will be a need for a really good legato. To handle the tight space of a pop track and get those string melodies loud and clear, you just might need what those libraries are able to deliver. It is true that there is some latency in the transitions, but its easy to compensate. The straight studio sound will not mud your mixes and the gui may be the best on the market.

Working with close mics you´ll have full control and probably the most genuine sound there is out there.

I do hope you´ll find what you´re looking for – good luck!

MOMA, Sweden

Casiquire likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    JohnMarkPainter

Feb 27, 2019
    Nashville, TN
    I'll dig in more with CSS. They sound more "corporate" to me (which you need sometimes).
    I'll likely end up with some 8Dio soon as well.
    I'm working on a Disco track end of this week....seems like a good solution

constaneum likes this.
  12. stevebarden

stevebarden New Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Not every string library is the perfect library for every situation. I recently acquired two new strings libraries (new to me!) and did a mock up of John Williams' "Yoda's Theme". This is just the string part. This guy knows how to write for strings and this piece uses several different but common articulations.

Century Strings

Berlin Strings

Bernard Herrmann Composer Toolkit was also mentioned in this thread. I think it is perfectly suitable for lush legato strings.

13. josejherring

josejherring Senior Member

I gotta admit that this sounds way better than I thought it would. You are getting a little of that Chorusing that comes from overdubbing the same players but not nearly as bad as I've head it in the past.

Often over looked library that does well for this kind of stuff is LASS Legato Sordino. Lacking in the shorts though, but with the EQ setting turned off it totally just sounds like unmutted strings and I often use it as a secret weapon for intimate sounding lower dynamics.

Also, NI session strings would work well. They have a tight sound in a tight room. I like them a lot but just have absolutely no use for them atm because I don't do any record work any more.

14. OP
    OP
    JohnMarkPainter

Feb 27, 2019
    Nashville, TN
    I like that Herrman tone....

Robo Rivard likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    JohnMarkPainter

Feb 27, 2019
    Nashville, TN
    Yep....even on some bigger records I've worked on, 6-8 players is more typical than 16+
    The players are used to and will swap instruments and/or parts on different passes. Also pretty typical to do a Sordino pass as a layer.
    I'm sure I'll end with the LASS Sordino too

16. Wolfie2112

Wolfie2112 Senior Member

IMO, you already have the best (Hollywood Strings), especially for legato and detailed sections. I also own 8Dio Adagio bundle.....it has been collecting dust' I find it too inconsistent.

Jacob Cadmus likes this.
  17. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    I think there's still great advantage to getting Diamond of course!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  18. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

if you compare century and berlin, i prefer berlin.

19. OP
    OP
    JohnMarkPainter

Feb 27, 2019
    Nashville, TN
    I am finding that BDio Intimate Studio, LASS, Spitfire Solo and Bohemian actually stack well.

Differenences In legato and vib cover up glitches

20. OP
    OP
    JohnMarkPainter

Feb 27, 2019
    Nashville, TN
    My ear gravitates more to the LASS character wise. I am tired of paying for Play/Cloud when I don't use much of the library for the work I do. We'll see.