What's new

Exponential audio r4 is out

kavinsky

misty orchard in the middle of Czechoslovakia
best reverb is the one that came out this month
damn reverbs, they age so fast

Fleer

Feeding the Trolls
After some more testing i finally bought R4...
The main two reasons were:

1.) it's really great in adding a dense tail which remains transparent and has a good sense of space.
It's a big step towards high end hardware units.

2.) It's also a fantastic coloring character reverb. Tried it on instruments like E-guitar, e-piano and some Synths and it works really well...
Got double so selling one. If anyone’s interested, I’ll put it up in the sales thread for $99.

synergy543

What does R4 do that other EA verbs don't do? And why so many different EA verbs? I get the marketing aspect, but do they each serve different purposes as well? Why not one reverb that gets expanded and updated?

kgdrum

While I like Exponential Reverbs and think Michael Cairnes is a brilliantly talented developer,I didn't like his lack of upgrade paths.I have Phoenix,Nimbus,Excalibur & R2,I didn't go for R4 because I felt it should have been a reasonable upgrade from R2 which imo wasn't offered.
Subsequently Izotope bought Exponential Audio they also provide no upgrade path from R2 to R4.
Meanwhile I have several other great reverbs from companies that imo are friendlier and more transparent w/ customers.
I really like Liquidsonic reverbs and use both 7TH Heaven reverbs
,Illusion & Lustrous Plates, also 2C Audio Breeze,numerous Eventide Reverbs,Several UAD reverbs,a few Valhalla reverbs(Room VVV,Plate),NI Komplete reverbs and several more from various developers.
If there's ever a reasonable upgrade or price for R4 I might go for it but until then,I have more than I really need.

Last edited:

Living Fossil

What does R4 do that other EA verbs don't do? And why so many different EA verbs? I get the marketing aspect, but do they each serve different purposes as well? Why not one reverb that gets expanded and updated?
You could ask the same question to other developers too. I guess one aspect is that they have to make some money in order to pay the rent, food, maybe family etc. Maybe they even want to buy a new TV once in a while, or a new computer.

However, R4 is an upgraded version from R2. It offers more and better algorithms.
The difference to Nimbus is the modulation of the tail, so simply said it's more the reverb for a lush (yet transparent) sound.

Top Bottom