What's new

Excellent Cello VST Example

I think, if done right, Sample Modeling strings blow everything else out of the water. <snip...>
I agree, but that can be said about many libraries. It's the "if done right" part that gets me every time. I prefer the "if done close and still sounds great" libraries myself... :sneaky: ;) :cool:

I agree, but that can be said about many libraries. It's the "if done right" part that gets me every time. I prefer the "if done close and still sounds great" libraries myself... :sneaky: ;) :cool:
Fortunately, Sample Modeling is much easier to do right. It's more playable than any other solo string instruments I own.

I think, if done right, Sample Modeling strings blow everything else out of the water. Here's a great example I found on YouTube:

I agree if all the controls are used properly it has the most expressive playing, and I love the SM brass for that reason. But I still hear the synthetic tone clearly in the strings (I believe it might be the existence of repeating harmonics that my ear catches easily) that is apparent even in a dense mix. The example you give, though one of the best I've heard (and uses the controls well) still has a synthetic tone to me that's more apparent the longer the note is held, with or without vibrato. But this is one small mark against an otherwise relatively flawless instrument. I know once they tweak it so those harmonics also have slight variation over time it will probably eliminate (or mask) the slightly synthetic tone.

Luckily SM is very good about updates and improvements on their instruments. :)

But I still hear the synthetic tone clearly in the strings (I believe it might be the existence of repeating harmonics that my ear catches easily) that is apparent even in a dense mix.

We'll have to disagree about the synthetic tone. I honestly don't think it's any more synthetic than any other solo string libraries. A few months back, someone did a blind test of solo libraries vs. real violin and the one that most people here mistook for the real thing was Sample Modeling. I think if you go in knowing it's synthetic, you hear synthetic.

No argument here. It sounded fantastic. One large advantage would be the footprint size on your hard drive. On the other hand I love my Chris Hein Solo Strings. Ultimately it is what you have and how you work with it. But certainly nothing to disparage with a lot of the modern modeling. I am just glad we don't have to do the programming ourselves.

No argument here. It sounded fantastic. One large advantage would be the footprint size on your hard drive. On the other hand I love my Chris Hein Solo Strings. Ultimately it is what you have and how you work with it. But certainly nothing to disparage with a lot of the modern modeling. I am just glad we don't have to do the programming ourselves.

VST programming no, but midi programming? The tweaks make or break it at times ;)

I think, if done right, Sample Modeling strings blow everything else out of the water. Here's a great example I found on YouTube:

I've never really liked how the upper register sounds on the SM Cello, that's where it gives away it's synthetic character.

indeed.

I've never really liked how the upper register sounds on the SM Cello, that's where it gives away it's synthetic character.

it's how it sounds if it's recorded dry, the nasal sound, but realistic enough to fool me. Way better than any VSL cello soloes though. All the demoes on VSL site that's ever made had me thinking "what am i listening to now? a keyboard playing a cello solo?" upon listening to just the first phrase.

Top Bottom