What's new

EWC vs Dominus vs Insolidus

If 8dio has another sale as good as the one from last week, i can highly recommend this.
That said, i would not pay $598 for this choir or any choir - i'm all about that sale!
Currently i'm working on an epic piece using Insolidus with Oceania and so far it's sounding pretty seamless.
i'm a happy customer :)

If you're one of 8Dio's V8P customers, they sent out a 50% off code a couple of days ago. I picked up Lacrimosa for something like $298 I think?

I love Oceania, btw and Lacrimosa seems like a bigger, more versatile version of it. I know it's not really "Nordic" though, so I'll get off the thread derail.

If you're one of 8Dio's V8P customers, they sent out a 50% off code a couple of days ago. I picked up Lacrimosa for something like $298 I think?

I love Oceania, btw and Lacrimosa seems like a bigger, more versatile version of it. I know it's not really "Nordic" though, so I'll get off the thread derail.
Dude, thanks a ton for posting this. That email went to my spam folder, so I never would have seen it!

Prove me wrong, please.
I did a long series of mistakes: testing Dominus without still knowing it well, trying to match it to Dorico (that has way limited controls than a DAW with sound libraries, including the lack of Tempo controls), using random syllables, not insisting in smoothing things out (for mere lack of time).

This is the result, just for the sake of a rough, explorative comparison. If someone at 8dio, Fluffy Audio, or members of the forum with offended ears complain, I'll immediately remove it.

Paolo

EDIT: I've done another attempt, this time in Logic. Control is a lot better. Here are two versions – one with no added processing to the original microphones of the Dominus Choir, the other with EQ and compression from Logic, and a bit of reverb from VSL's MIRacle.

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/dominus-insolidus-nofx-mp3.16271/][/AUDIOPLUS]

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/dominus-insolidus-fx-mp3.16272/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• Dominus Insolidus noFX.mp3
    1.4 MB · Views: 105
  • Dominus Insolidus FX.mp3
    1.5 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:
The “Nordic sound” is probably just a fashion word that doesn’t mean much. Most of the music from the Nordic country is not in the style that some people would call Nordic, and more often I find it to rather sound Eastern European.

The EWC sounds British to me.
I think I agree with this. Here's a good case study...

I did a long series of mistakes: testing Dominus without still knowing it well, trying to match it to Dorico (that has way limited controls than a DAW with sound libraries, including the lack of Tempo controls), using random syllables, not insisting in smoothing things out (for mere lack of time).

This is the result, just for the sake of a rough, explorative comparison. If someone at 8dio, Fluffy Audio, or members of the forums with offended ears complain, I'll immediately remove it.

Paolo

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/dominsoldus-mp3.16268/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Thanks! So, is it first Dominus and then Insolidus (they do sound very similar)?

Thanks! So, is it first Dominus and then Insolidus (they do sound very similar)?
Sorry, I was not clear. This is all Dominus, simulating a demo of Insolidus. You can find the demo in the Insolidus product page.

As soon as I’ve some more time, I’ll try to remake it in Logic. With Dorico, I’ve not been able to select different words, the correct pace of the syllables, and the volume is a bit jumpy.

Paolo

[EDIT: New example made with Logic added to the post above]

Last edited:
Yes, the point of Dominus is that is tweaked for realtime playing and later optional refinement in your DAW. With notation software like Dorico I don't know if you have the ability to ride the modwheel as you wish . (which is essential to make this kind of Insolidus-Demo like playing). Also the slight imprecision of realtime chordal playing in Dominus adds a bit of liveliness without making it to go out of tempo.

Yes, the point of Dominus is that is tweaked for realtime playing and later optional refinement in your DAW.
Dorico has the ability of creating automation lines, exactly as in a DAW. A very powerful feature, crossing the boundaries between notation and sequencing. Unfortunately, it is still in an early development stage, so I suspect it is not yet always precise.

In the excerpt I did with Logic (still far from an accurate work, and again in the same message here above), control is much finer, and realism is greatly increased. Combining dynamics control via modulation wheel, and Channel Volume to increase the dynamics range, can produce some stunning result in realism.

Paolo

Last edited:
Moral of the story: Henu is also from a Nordic country. ;)
I'm actually aware what people technically mean with that cold and more intimate type of timbre, but to be honest I'm just getting so fed up with that current "trend" that it's driving me nuts. :D

Speaking of Nordic sound, this one doesn't seem all that cold and slowly evolving...

Last edited:
If 'Cold' is in vogue, that describes my wallet _ as EWC hit $599. Now frozen until next promo.
Will long ponder wisdom of passing Insolidus at ~$240. May come up again …..

Dominus now my 'Cold' fav when magical BlkFri offers appear. Warm me up Fluffy ! :inlove:

If 'Cold' is in vogue, that describes my wallet _ as EWC hit $599. Now frozen until next promo.

Dominus now my 'Cold' fav when magical BlkFri offers appear. Warm me up Fluffy ! :inlove:

I came to the same conclusion and have decided that Dominus is my best bet for now. Just waiting to see whether Fluffy will offer a good discount in the near future. (I do have an EDU discount as well, which made the EWC decision non-urgent and there seems to be a decent EDU discount for Dominus as well.) EWC is definitely on my permanent wish list as well, but for that style I think I can make due with the SF Labs freebie (which is great) and Time Macro choir patches for now.

Insolidus for $240? I saw it for $298, and am also wondering if I should have bought it. For now I'll also await the BF sales, I'm still to hear a more intimate version of Dominus, sound wise Insolidus still has the edge.

Moral of the story: Henu is also from a Nordic country. ;)
I'm actually aware what people technically mean with that cold and more intimate type of timbre, but to be honest I'm just getting so fed up with that current "trend" that it's driving me nuts. :D

And with "edge" I mean nordic sound. Did I say I really enjoy that Nordic sound? Nordic!

On a serious note, I haven't noticed this sound being a trend, it's always been there and been appreciated. Possibly with some sample libraries now trying to recreate that sound (e.g. Tundra) we talk more about it, but I think it's rather that sample libraries now having covered all the basics is starting to get more niched, but not just with that sound, but with all niche sounds.

Top Bottom