EWC vs Dominus vs Insolidus

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by erikradbo, Nov 8, 2018.

1. erikradbo

erikradbo Senior Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    A last minute attempt to get your compositions with Insolidus or Dominus in similar style to EWC. Being the last day of the intro price, it still seems quite limited but with a great nordic sound. To make a more informed decision, let's hear your master pieces with Insolidus or Dominus. Can they sound similar to EWC?

2. Henu

Henu Senior Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Finland
    What the hell is this "nordic sound" everyone keeps raving about?

Mike Fox, AllanH, Maxime Luft and 3 others like this.
  3. paoling

paoling Developer

Jan 22, 2005
    I am obviously biased, but can I begin with something that I consider a truly masterpiece? This is the pre-alpha music for Prey of Gods by Ian Dorsch. He will record it will a live choir, so it will be interesting to see the differences in the final live version. (sounds quite nordic to me also :D)

(By the way this is Dominus :-P)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  4. Henu

Henu Senior Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Finland
    Note to self: Sell all your music gear and start driving a garbage truck. Game over man, game over.

5. Scamper

Scamper Senior Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Yep, it's great. When I was choosing a choir library last week, the others being on sale, this track pushed me to definitely get Dominus at the next best chance.

paoling likes this.
  6. Mason

Mason Senior Member

Sep 23, 2018
    I'm from the Nordic countries and have no idea. Must be some kind of Nordic fairytale-sound :)

richardt4520 likes this.
  7. Kony

Kony Senior Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Wow! Love this - Dominus is an amazing library and I definitely need to spend more time with it :)

8. Bill the Lesser

Bill the Lesser Senior Member

May 8, 2018
    I would add that's Dominus pretty much right out of the box. It's just an incredible sound, IMHO the best choir library I've ever used.

IMHO Insolidus simply can't compete, unless there is something specific about the arcs that you could use. It's not at all playable in the way Dominus is, and it requires a big dose of reverb to cover issues with releases and a generally very "distant" kind of sound. Dominus sounds amazing with no reverb at all, and fattens up beautifully with just a touch of reverb.

EWC is somewhat off to one side. Extremely beautiful sound and very playable, but also rather special case. EWC exploits the famous Lyndhurst space with good effect and sounds terrific with no extra reverb, yet the close mics are as dry as anybody would need. FWIW it layers with Dominus quite nicely somewhat like Orchestral Swarm layers with normal libraries, adding a certain kind of texture.

If I could chose one, it would be Dominus for both beauty of sound and general usefulness. Saving my money for Dominus 2.

ptram, sostenuto and Kony like this.
  9. sostenuto

sostenuto Senior Member

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    In terms of Choral libraries, I am not much past being 'a kid in a candy store', but the several Threads on VI-C have helped immensely. :barefoot:

I have not agonized more over a Choir purchase than Insolidus (recently). Cannot write a useful word about why, but eventually decided to hope for a massive sale for Dominus at BlkFri.
    Sooo many positives for EWC, but even at generous Intro price …. still feels iffy.

Strongest personal alternative is Genesis. No clue how choral wizards could tweak, but still holding out for something to support my naive' leanings …… :speechless:

10. OP
    OP
    erikradbo

erikradbo Senior Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Well, often a hollow and "cold" sounding arrangement, usually in minor for the major part (drum roll please). Case study:

11. OP
    OP
    erikradbo

erikradbo Senior Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Thanks! Seeing the walkthroughs I'm more impressed with Dominus, however, listening to some demos, Insolidus has a more direct sound (Dominus seems to be wetter and more choral).

Insolidus:
    Dominus (I think):

Both sound great, but Dominus is...just more choral. Great for that, but feels less intimate (and...NORDIC :dancedance:). Prove me wrong, please.

12. OP
    OP
    erikradbo

erikradbo Senior Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Shame on you!

13. AllanH

AllanH Senior Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Central Coast California
    I'm not sure what this nordic thing is either :) For something Nordic, I'd suggest the Peer Gynt suite by Grieg or anything by Carl Nielsen.

I chose to not get Spitfire's EWC, but that with that: My two favorite choirs in terms of flexibility is Genesis and Dominus, with Dominus being the most flexible. In terms of sound, my favorites are Dominus, Genesis and Insolidus, probably in that order.

Re Dominus and choral: the built-in reverb is a key factor in the out-of-box sound. Pick a non-cathedral reverb for a cleaner sound. This makes a huge difference.

sostenuto likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    erikradbo

erikradbo Senior Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Btw, having you on the line, what's the latest on Dominus 2?

Josh Richman likes this.
  15. ptram

ptram Senior Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Being made around Milan, for us Italians Dominus is quite Nordic!

Paolo

16. William Palmer

William Palmer Active Member

Aug 7, 2018
    London
    Been following this game a bit and was thinking, "wouldn't Dominus be perfect for composing this kind of music?...". That explains that :D

Kony likes this.
  17. Mason

Mason Senior Member

Sep 23, 2018
    The “Nordic sound” is probably just a fashion word that doesn’t mean much. Most of the music from the Nordic country is not in the style that some people would call Nordic, and more often I find it to rather sound Eastern European.

The EWC sounds British to me.

18. johnbusbymusic

johnbusbymusic Musician/Composer

Oct 10, 2016
    Mississippi
    col and erikradbo like this.
  19. johnbusbymusic

johnbusbymusic Musician/Composer

Oct 10, 2016
    Mississippi
    in my opinion, i think Insolidus has it's place for sure.
    Has it got it's limitations, of course.
    it's a very niche library and if you have a particular need for what it does it's gravy!

If 8dio has another sale as good as the one from last week, i can highly recommend this.
    That said, i would not pay $598 for this choir or any choir - i'm all about that sale!

Currently i'm working on an epic piece using Insolidus with Oceania and so far it's sounding pretty seamless.
    i'm a happy customer :)

richardt4520 likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    erikradbo

erikradbo Senior Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    johnbusbymusic likes this.