What's new

EW Voices of Opera...Opinions?

I gave it a try and, to me, it sounded like a library from the 90s. If you are in a nostalgic mood, go for it.

Being that EWSCP is still used by many composers I know (people who get paid) and most certainly stands with much of the best out there today, I seriously doubt that.

It amuses me to no end when I read how many people underestimate the EWH and Choirs when practically everyone I know still uses them and considers them elite.

With all due respect, and not to high jack the thread : ) Just based on the user comparisons provided, I am wondering if anyone here has stumbled across this little gem? There are no Tenors as of yet, but after buying his French Horn and being completely blown away by the quality? All I can say is that this will for sure be my own personal favorite and soon to be best bang for the buck that I could ever spend on a Solo Opera Soprano. (And again, if you've tried out his French Horn? I suspect exquisite detail, ease of use and hyper-realism for the Female Solo Opera Soprano) https://www.organic-samples.com/organic-voices-vol-1-solo-opera

With all due respect, and not to high jack the thread : ) Just based on the user comparisons provided, I am wondering if anyone here has stumbled across this little gem? There are no Tenors as of yet, but after buying his French horn? All I can say is that this will for sure be my own personal favorite and soon to be best bang for the buck that I could ever spend on Solo Opera Sopranos. (And again, if you've tried out his French Horn? I suspect exquisite ease of use and realism for the Female Solo Soprano) https://www.organic-samples.com/organic-voices-vol-1-solo-opera

You're not disrespecting anybody my friend. Interesting!

With all due respect, and not to high jack the thread : ) Just based on the user comparisons provided, I am wondering if anyone here has stumbled across this little gem? There are no Tenors as of yet, but after buying his French Horn and being completely blown away by the quality? All I can say is that this will for sure be my own personal favorite and soon to be best bang for the buck that I could ever spend on a Solo Opera Soprano. (And again, if you've tried out his French Horn? I suspect exquisite detail, ease of use and hyper-realism for the Female Solo Opera Soprano) https://www.organic-samples.com/organic-voices-vol-1-solo-opera

Nice sound indeed;)

Yep, bought it and love it. No words, however.still, very very nice legato.

I think this video shows a lot about what the library is.

. . .

As always, the same strengths and weaknesses of EW style of sampling.

There are so many words for which I'd want to use this library (none of which, at the moment, are liturgical or directly-quoted phrases from Italian libretti or LotR), but can't because of consonants that aren't included.

As it is, I have not yet been able to coax a decent 'hard G' sound, or just a simple "yo" opening syllable, from either EWSC or VotA.

VoOpera does have one staccato syllable beginning with a G, but it's followed by the wrong vowel... [sigh] . . .

I've decided that I no longer have any interest in any vocal library that doesn't come with a fully functional word builder, which includes multisamples of every single vowel, consonant, diphthong/ligature and phoneme necessary to create every English word in the OED — with bonus points if it also includes those necessary to recreate any word in other languages.

With any luck, such a library will present itself before (i) I'm dead, (ii) we blow up the entire world or drown in the ever-rising seas, or (iii) the Sun goes nova and swallows the Earth and all of the other inner planets, whichever comes first.........

Being that EWSCP is still used by many composers I know (people who get paid) and most certainly stands with much of the best out there today, I seriously doubt that.

It amuses me to no end when I read how many people underestimate the EWH and Choirs when practically everyone I know still uses them and considers them elite.

What are you referring to here? The discussion is about VoO and not EWSCP or EWH. We discuss solo voices (specifically Voices of the Opera) rather than choirs.

In fact, I use EWH (also EWSCP) myself and love it. It’s just that VoO does not live up to EWQLs previous offerings nor to the competition - in my humble opinion - which I underlined in my previous post. I wish it was different as I’m subscribed to Composer Cloud and am willing to invest into commercial as tools that mimic the sound of what I will record eventually.

It’s just my opinion ... I’ve been in this game since I turned 13, so I’ve seen the ups and downs of quite a few developers over the years. Nothing stands in the way of EWQL to innovate again in the future. I just can’t see that happening in VoO right now.

But I’m glad you feel entitled to have an opinion ... the feeling is mutual ;).

Last edited:
There are so many words for which I'd want to use this library (none of which, at the moment, are liturgical or directly-quoted phrases from Italian libretti or LotR), but can't because of consonants that aren't included.

As it is, I have not yet been able to coax a decent 'hard G' sound, or just a simple "yo" opening syllable, from either EWSC or VotA.

VoOpera does have one staccato syllable beginning with a G, but it's followed by the wrong vowel... [sigh] . . .

I've decided that I no longer have any interest in any vocal library that doesn't come with a fully functional word builder, which includes multisamples of every single vowel, consonant, diphthong/ligature and phoneme necessary to create every English word in the OED — with bonus points if it also includes those necessary to recreate any word in other languages.

With any luck, such a library will present itself before (i) I'm dead, (ii) we blow up the entire world or drown in the ever-rising seas, or (iii) the Sun goes nova and swallows the Earth and all of the other inner planets, whichever comes first.........
Are you sure? I use EWSC and have no problems have very little problem can with some massaging can with a lot of work get it to say whatever I want. ;)

I don't know what it is about the female voice (and maybe I am pickier being a female singer) but rarely do soloists sound good. The Realivox ones are maybe the exception. And there is an operatic soprano in there if I remember correctly.

The phrases are fine. But the notes run through sounded like the singer could maybe hit the C above middle C and they AutoTuned it up. Really? A soprano should be able to hit high C, unless she is a mezzo, maybe? And that only goes to an A, which should be easy.

The tenor actually sound almost good. And? I would buy Soundiron's ones before these.

EWSCP is, to this day, terrific and as "cutting edge" sounding in overall tone as anything out there. That said, I sure appreciate the five years + it took me to at least convince myself I've mastered it lol!!!

I have to be completely fair, EWSCP has a serious learning curve, and I can completely sympathize with people that want something more out of the box.

Hi, I'll try to give my honest opinion as Opera Singer. I had time to try only the 'legato' patch (and sustain, obviously) and some phrases (that, in general, I think very unuseful).
I'm a tenor (what???) :) I'm a transgender woman and I kept my natural voice, since it is part of my art and my work. So; I'll start to write about the tenor legato patch...

The voice is not bad (but not exceptional either), but I don't really like the recording dynamic.
Mf is piano, and 'forte' is not 'forte'; it's something near to 'forte' for the first note you touch (sustain patch), from the second (legato) note it becomes a 'mf' or something less. So, forget to use it in a majestic composition/trailer, unless you don't layer it with a powerful choir. The high notes, are too 'opened', after the 'D' (one of the most common problems of tenor voices), so the 'oh' seem an 'ah', too nasal and 'spoggiata' (I don't know how to translate this italian way to define voices). To let you understand, I can say it seems to listen vocalizes more similar to 'falsetto' than a full voice and the voice is not projected forward. I don't know, maybe someone could like this, but I don't think most people aspect this when buy a 'opera singer' library. Maybe could be great for chamber music :)
So, No: I don't really like the tenor ah-oh legato patches.

I like the tonal timbre of the soprano voice. Very in tune and I would say with a good technique, but again, I can't understand why to call the two dynamic range 'mf' and 'f', when they are 'p' and 'mf', and there is not near to 'f' in that legato, a part of the first note in some cases.

I'm a great fan of EastWest, but this time I've to say that they need to listen to opera to understand what 'piano' and 'forte' are for a singer. Then, beyond how pleasant and technical the voices can be, it's offensive for opera and opera singer to call a library 'Voice of Opera', just because there are some vibratos and some famous (and unuseful) short famous phrases, when it lacks of a complete dynamic voice range and a 'mf' is presented as an 'f'.
Maybe, the best solution is to use the sustain patch with the script legato, instead of the legato patch (but, ehy... EastWest... for how many libraries we'll need to do this again?).
I think that there is more 'opera' in 'Voices of Passion/The Empire', than here.

Oh... I can forgive them the fact that the damned High C have not been recorded.
It's really a pain in the :emoji_musical_score::emoji_musical_score::emoji_musical_score:
:)

Oh... I can forgive them the fact that the damned High C have not been recorded.

Hi Sarah!
What ! The famous "contre ut" is not sampled ? It's a sacrilege... Del Monaco, Alfredo Kraus, Franco Corelli, please come back ! Do You know my personal opinion ? Human voice is the most complicated instrument and it's quite impossible to transcribe emotions, musicality and reffinement. With all due respect for the developers and the singers who lent their voices.

Hi Sarah!
What ! The famous "contre ut" is not sampled ? It's a sacrilege... Del Monaco, Alfredo Kraus, Franco Corelli, please come back ! Do You know my personal opinion ? Human voice is the most complicated instrument and it's quite impossible to transcribe emotions, musicality and reffinement. With all due respect for the developers and the singers who lent their voices.
Hi Paul.
You're talking to one who, for personal taste, from the mid-19th century onwards, would take away anything on the 'high B', (especially for tenor) :)

Hi Paul.
You're talking to one who, for personal taste, from the mid-19th century onwards, would take away anything on the 'high B', (especially for tenor) :)

I agree with You ! Personally, I had the opportunity to hear a tenor singing the famous aria from 'La fille du régiment". Too many C4, in full voice...awful (personal opinion). I'd rather sing "Lenski aria" from Eugène Oneguyne or even the role of Don José ("La fleur" but also the superb duet with Micaela) or "Una furtiva Lagrima", for example. There are no C4 but these arias are so beautiful. Years ago, I could sing to D4 (rehearsal) and sometimes I had the impression I was a competitor ! I was probably silly and thru the years I realized that vocal performances (high notes but also volume) have nothing to do with music. I'm satisfied with my Bb3 or occasionally the B3.

Do You know what ? Once, somebody asked me if I would be able to sing the role of Rodolphe... in french ! I tried: "Que cette main est froide, laissez-moi la réchauffer". I started to laugh (I could not sing anymore !!!) and I said Okay, sounds really better in the original version ! Now, "The Messiah", in english or "Die Schöpfung" in German, no problem at all. But how gorgeous it is to sing an opera in italian ! God must be Italian !

LOL I'd be surprised if it *wasn't*!

And hello. I've been awol for about a year due to a car accident that messed with me for a while...finally starting to feel normal (for me anyways)! :)

Good to see you back! I hope you're recovering nicely. Recovery sometimes take a lot longer than one would expect.

Top Bottom