What's new

EW Spaces II - Anyone upgrading?

OK, I did my first piece with Space II, my own rendition of "Cry Little Sister" from the 80's vampire movie, "The Lost Boys". I used the New York Cathedral and am happy how it came out. :)

I love that song (and the movie at the time. It’s a while since I watched it).

I’m testing the demo of spaces at the moment and have to say I’m really liking it. Still getting to grips with everything though (I never had Spaces I). There’s something about the reverb where it seems to really envelope the sound, or surround it which helps to place an instrument in a space, rather than sound like something added on top. I’m conparing to my other preferred verb option and the difference is subtle but, very nice.

Last edited:
The enveloping nature of spaces has to do with the way the sound was projected in the Hall. You will get more early reflections and more enveloping in many of the instrument specific presets. If you want less of that, use the basic, solo, or wind presets.

I started using Spaces II with Composer Cloud. It is great. I have been using Spaces for years and Spaces II brings new locations and UI. Anyone using Composer Cloud?

Apologies in advance (I was sure this was covered but now can't see it) when does the intro pricing end? (not crossgrade from I).

Until I started using Spaces II, I've only used convolution reverb for acoustic instruments, but decided to use Spaces II for a 100% synthesizer piece I just completed. Edvard Grieg's "In The Hall Of The Mountain King" was the perfect opportunity to use Spaces II Carlsbad Caverns IR. All the reverb on this piece is that single IR. I think it fit the piece very well. :)

@quantum7 ,

You did a very good job producing "In The Hall Of The Mountain King" with the OB-6, which is one of my favorite synths these days, and Spaces II has become my go to Reverb for Orchestral/Acoustic productions, and after listening to this piece of music, I have to give it a try with my Synths :) , Spaces II has so much to offers, I only tried a few of the presets, and have been very impressed with the quality of the IR quality. I have been using the NY Strings Hall of Spaces II quite a bit, it sounds great on any Orch. material I throw at it.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

@quantum7 ,

You did a very good job producing "In The Hall Of The Mountain King" with the OB-6, which is one of my favorite synths these days, and Spaces II has become my go to Reverb for Orchestral/Acoustic productions, and after listening to this piece of music, I have to give it a try with my Synths :) , Spaces II has so much to offers, I only tried a few of the presets, and have been very impressed with the quality of the IR quality. I have been using the NY Strings Hall of Spaces II quite a bit, it sounds great on any Orch. material I throw at it.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Thanks! Yeah, I'm actually going to keep trying Spaces II with future synth projects and see what happens. Spaces II is definitely turning out to be my go-to reverb. :)

For orchestral stuff, i just use spaces II (don't use Altibverb anymore for orchestral music... must prefer Spaces II).

I have two questions!

1) Would Spaces be better suited to piano sounds than the 112db's Redline Reverb or Slate Digital's Verb Suite Classic (or Pro-R, Altiverb, etc)?

2) Is it reasonable to buy Spaces I first and then upgrade to Spaces II as a piano player?

Because I have used the Trial version long time ago, I can no longer try it..

Last edited:
I have two questions!

1) Would Spaces be better suited to piano sounds than the 112db's Redline Reverb or Slate Digital's Verb Suite Classic (or Pro-R, Altiverb, etc)?

2) Is it reasonable to buy Spaces I first and then upgrade to Spaces II as a piano player?

Because I have used the Trial version some time ago, I can no longer try it..

For intimate pianos, I really like ew studios presets (front in true stereo). I like to make it a bit drier than the original settings.
For bright stereo image, the new Reynolds hall is fantastic (you can't miss it, this is the welcome preset).

1/ I guess it's very subjective. Got some presets on Altiverb I like a lot, but the 2 mentioned above are my goto for pianos. I stopped my slate subscription because I didn't use it at all, I got better choices. And I never tried 112db's thingy.

2/ Try before buying is the most reasonable thing you can do. Don't forget these things are fully subjective. It's like piano sound, there's no best one most of the time, there's just the one you like the most for making your music.

For intimate pianos, I really like ew studios presets (front in true stereo). I like to make it a bit drier than the original settings.
For bright stereo image, the new Reynolds hall is fantastic (you can't miss it, this is the welcome preset).

1/ I guess it's very subjective. Got some presets on Altiverb I like a lot, but the 2 mentioned above are my goto for pianos. I stopped my slate subscription because I didn't use it at all, I got better choices. And I never tried 112db's thingy.

2/ Try before buying is the most reasonable thing you can do. Don't forget these things are fully subjective. It's like piano sound, there's no best one most of the time, there's just the one you like the most for making your music.

OK, thank you :) I'll buy Spaces I first although it doesn't have Reynolds Hall preset, and then if I like it, I'll upgrade to II.
Thank you for replying.

Last edited:
For many years my goto piano was Ivory II American Concert D , with the reverb replaced by Spaces (v 1).

It's now Ivory II American Concert D , with the reverb replaced by Spaces (v 2).

But there is still a lot to love about v 1, and if you can pick it up cheaply it's still a terrific reverb.

For many years my goto piano was Ivory II American Concert D , with the reverb replaced by Spaces (v 1).

It's now Ivory II American Concert D , with the reverb replaced by Spaces (v 2).

But there is still a lot to love about v 1, and if you can pick it up cheaply it's still a terrific reverb.

So is there besides the new impulses and presets and features a difference in sound between Spaces 1 and 2?

Top Bottom