What's new

EW Spaces II - Anyone upgrading?

I upgraded today and it's definitely worth it. The improved UI and additions of a filter and decay control are very welcome indeed. And the new locations are excellent! And the pictures (finally!) representing the locations are very helpful.

I don't have altiverb so I can't tell you if it's better or not, but for the price, it's a very good upgrade.

Do they have anything new in terms of orchestral hall reverbs? My favorite part of Spaces is the So. Cal hall from all the different perspectives.

I'm testing via the Cloud Sub and all I can say is that yes, it sounds great BUT the IR management is awful. They have a specific "Instrument Specific Tour" folder with multiple sub-folders. However, not all of the instrument specific IR's can be found here. You need to go fishing to find them within the Location specific folders. It would be great if each location that has instrument specific IR's had their own folder for them versus just sitting in the M-S/S-S Folders.

I'd also like there to be some UI scaling. On 2K+ monitor, it's extremely tiny and the font is pretty small which makes it hard to read in many cases.

On the bright side, besides sounding great, it performs a hell of a lot better than the original Spaces ever did for me. I had to stop using it because it caused crashes, hang ups, pops, etc. So far, I've not had problems with Spaces II. I'd just like to see some minor cosmetic/workflow changes to make it a lot more user friendly and easy to get the IR you want.

I'm testing via the Cloud Sub and all I can say is that yes, it sounds great BUT the IR management is awful. They have a specific "Instrument Specific Tour" folder with multiple sub-folders. However, not all of the instrument specific IR's can be found here. You need to go fishing to find them within the Location specific folders. It would be great if each location that has instrument specific IR's had their own folder for them versus just sitting in the M-S/S-S Folders.

I'd also like there to be some UI scaling. On 2K+ monitor, it's extremely tiny and the font is pretty small which makes it hard to read in many cases.

On the bright side, besides sounding great, it performs a hell of a lot better than the original Spaces ever did for me. I had to stop using it because it caused crashes, hang ups, pops, etc. So far, I've not had problems with Spaces II. I'd just like to see some minor cosmetic/workflow changes to make it a lot more user friendly and easy to get the IR you want.

I agree. The folder's can be better organized.

Should I save for altiverb or upgrade to spaces? WHat is a better product price
Aside? I have spaces now and it gets the job done...it just is limited in options. If I am willing to invest more which of the two is better? For orchestral film scoring...

Spaces 2 crushes Altiverb for orchestral film work. Altiverb is amazing and broad ranging reverb software that often sounds like mush. So Cal Hall, Reynolds Hall, Davies Hall, Angels Cathedral, Grace Church, Hamburg Cathedral all sound better than anything in Altiverb. And they have a ton of instrument/ early reflections impulse options that Altiverb doesn’t have.​

Last edited:
Spaces 2 crushes Altiverb for orchestral film work. It’s Mclaren versus Hyundai. Altiverb is amazing and broad ranging reverb software that sounds like mush. So Cal Hall, Reynolds Hall, Davies Hall, Angels Cathedral, Grace Church, Hamburg Cathedral all sound better than anything in Altiverb. And they have a ton of instrument/ early reflections impulse options that Altiverb doesn’t have.

Spaces 2 "crushes" Altiverb? Bold statement, but it has me intrigued and I will now have to investigate further. :)

I've almost bought Spaces so many times simply for Benaroya Hall being in there.

I also like the sound of Spaces Benaroya Hall impulses. Was working with it last night -- really creates a rich sounding Space (so to speak).

I have to also agree, Chris, from the perspective of being legally blind.

The v2 interface is very compelling, and modern in design, yet has a constrained approach I personally struggled with right away. Navigating small fonts is not a unique challenge to me and GUIs, but the trend toward scalable options is something I’ve come to expect (and rely on) in other plugins recently. Or, at the very least, an option to expand some things. I actually grabbed the corner when I first launched S2, thinking it would scale.

Apart from that, I’m pleased with the actual sound. The instrument specific IRs I’ve tested so far are very clean and transparent, and a nice addition over the original Spaces. I think these settings are actually useful gems that will become more apparently as others use them and discover. I’ve been in both the War Memorial and Davies hall, and love those additions in S2. Too much of a good thing, if I don’t use these judicially, lol.

G

Unfortunately that was also the first thing that I noticed when I started using it: "So small?" In the trailers it seems so gigantic and in reality it seems quite small. Additionally the knobs on my quite dark monitor (not to get blinded too much after hours of work) are "black on black surrounded by black". Obviously both is improvovable.
But the sound: gorgeous! And Sean: I had a NFR licence of Altiverb for one year...and NEVER used it, deleted it before it ran out because "Spaces crushes Altiverb" :)

Yes I was surprised by how small the GUI is and when I looked at the resize option I didn’t find one.

Having said that, it sounds fantastic.

I was using it with the VSL CFX yesterday. What was meant to be a short couple minutes test with the Hamburg Cathedral iR ended up being a 30+ minutes jam. I just couldn’t stop playing.

1 license and no upgrade path = a firm no.

"Crushes Altiverb"?

Considering the films mixed/scored using Altiverb? (Let alone Altiverb's firm foothold as the post-production convolution reverb of choice?)
Sorry but that's purely opinion-based hype.
And considering this is by a representative of the product's developer? Suspiciously biased.

Am I the only one bothered by the lack of numerical values (in ms for pre-delay, in Hz for filters)? Using a knob without values is challenging. I know they said it will be added in a future update but as of now, it isn't in there.

Top Bottom