1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EW Spaces II - Anyone upgrading?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by quantum7, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Silence-is-Golden

Silence-is-Golden ^^

Jun 8, 2015
    Thanks crockett

And that is one of the better and/or much used halls for orchestral works isn’t it?

2. pmcrockett

pmcrockett Senior Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Saint Louis
    The tail on So Cal decays a little quickly for my own taste, but people in general seem to agree that it's very good.

Silence-is-Golden likes this.
  3. MaxOctane

MaxOctane Senior Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Qualitatively, how much better is this than stock IR reverb like Logic's Space Designer? For a non-professional who still enjoys awesome sound quality, is the difference noticeable?

4. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    I think the importance of reverb cannot really be exaggerated, if you are trying to create a feeling of space and scale. So that's a roundabout way of saying that, whether you make a lot of money or not at music the main reason to pursue it is for the beauty and joy of it.

Therefore, money doesn't really matter. Scary concept!

Practically speaking though, why not download the demo and decide for yourself?

5. MaxOctane

MaxOctane Senior Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Because I'm an idiot who forgot there was a demo, and forgot I installed it already.

SoNowWhat? likes this.
  6. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    lol

7. Silence-is-Golden

Silence-is-Golden ^^

Jun 8, 2015
    and those who use the combo: CSS, LASS, L&S Chamber strings work well with Spaces? (especially the So Cal hall section IR's with the respective sections?)

8. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

I reckon I’ll upgrade to it eventually but after getting Altiverb 7, I’m not really lusting for another convo Reverb at this point.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  9. NoamL

NoamL Senior Member

Jul 6, 2015
    So Cal Hall is a classic and definitely works. ;)

Out of all of the impulses, I think St. Dominic's is a real gem. Not all of the impulses are true stereo. But the sound is fantastic. It's dark, and dramatic and beautiful, but it doesn't sound "churchy," you know, like a big stone cave.

Big brass sounds INCREDIBLE in this church. I'll go out on a blasphemous limb and say I like this church better than AIR for brass. I was A/Bing against some reference tracks (mostly 2 Steps From Hell and Audiomachine) and I think St Dominic's will become my go to master verb for that kind of epic music, replacing the Bricasti emulation (for LogicX Space Designer) that I was using before.

The similar sized church St. Patrick's also sounds good, but it is a bit more echo-y and cave-y in sound. Probably good for dark or emotional strings.

The plugin doesn't contain hundreds of spaces, but the upside is that each space is actually pretty distinct and well-chosen. It's not just total verb length, but the geometry of the space, the harshness or mellowness of the walls, and the exact placement of the impulse response on stage... in the end I don't feel that there's too little to choose from.

10. dcoscina

dcoscina Senior Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Sounds gorgeous to my ears.

11. Silence-is-Golden

Silence-is-Golden ^^

Jun 8, 2015
    Thanks for your post Noaml. Good to read your views on it.

Now I only need a conversation with my budget holder..........me.

12. LHall

LHall Senior Member

May 5, 2005
    Music City
    Is anyone having latency problems when using Spaces II as an insert? I put it on a drum and the latency is HUGE. Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 10.34.18 AM.png

13. MarcusD

MarcusD Senior Member

Jul 25, 2015
    England
    Some of the impulses are really incredible. My favourites are from the Church folder. Most notably Angels Cathedral & St. Dominic's, (some one else mentioned it St. D's, it is beautiful!) literally spent about hour getting lost in reverb-land.

ChrisSiuMusic likes this.
  14. LHall

LHall Senior Member

May 5, 2005
    Music City
    The good folks at EW just confirmed the bug I reported above and are working on a fix. Great news!

MarcusD likes this.
  15. constaneum

constaneum Senior Member

yup. I've noticed that as well....

16. OP
    OP
    quantum7

quantum7 1 more year until I turn 50...then it's all over.

I've learned over the years that some reverbs just stink as inserts. I always use sends even with a project with only one track.

muziksculp likes this.
  17. Ashermusic

Ashermusic Senior Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Happens even if “use as a send effect by default” is unchecked?
    Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 11.12.54 AM.png

18. Ashermusic

Ashermusic Senior Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Dead on with the click here.

Attached Files:

19. LHall

LHall Senior Member

May 5, 2005
    Music City
    Michael at EW confirmed the bug and they’re working on a fix

20. Ashermusic

Ashermusic Senior Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Then the bug is only with that setting checked because as you can hear in my example there is no playback latent with it unchecked.