What's new

EW Play samples cut off when using bounce in place/offline bounce in LPX

I think the issue is specific to Mac: Play as a VST Plugin in VEPro 6 or 7 connected to Logic.

Not sure about other DAWs on Mac, though. Does anyone have a copy of Cubase/Ableton they might be able to use to run the same test?

Might want to try unchecking "stream from disk" if your rig can manage it. I had some bad sample dropout from HOP that was fixed by doing that. Otherwise it might be completely a bug

I've just tried this - which was also EW's advice this morning - and whilst that does solve the problem it's not really a workable solution for big templates. The RAM usage is astronomical if you disable 'stream from disk'. Main and Close mics loaded on a 1st Violin Legato patch takes the RAM use from 2.3GB to 14GB... o_O I wouldn't even be able to load in a full string section with just the legato patches if it's disabled.

I'm still a bit befuddled as to why the VST is behaving differently vs the AU plugin - it's all the same samples, running from the same SSDs using the same buffer and cache settings etc.

It's frustrating that there isn't a way to host Play on a windows server as an AU plugin, as far as I can see.

As far as I can tell, offline bounce has been broken for years in Play. I've looked into it before and found various forum threads complaining about it since the early early days of Play. It was apparently fixed at one point and then quickly got broken again.

It makes EastWest libraries unusable in Reason (which has offline bounce only, no realtime), so I haven't bought any EastWest products and won't be doing so unless this is conclusively solved. (But even then, history shows that it might just stop working again a version later...)

It's frustrating that there isn't a way to host Play on a windows server as an AU plugin, as far as I can see.

That does sound annoying. Is that possibly a version 6 thing, I've no idea? I've not really setup my slave yet, but this was why I bought it as I thought it could host either irrelevant of platform.

That does sound annoying. Is that possibly a version 6 thing, I've no idea? I've not really setup my slave yet, but this was why I bought it as I thought it could host either irrelevant of platform.

I think the lack of AU thing is a windows 'feature'. I don't think you can get any plugins as AU for windows, but I may be mistaken.

Yes, it's incredibly frustrating that currently the Play VST requires you to not bounce offline/in-place/freeze in order to get successful exports, or you have to load the samples fully into RAM making any kind of template with more than a handful of articulations unworkable! Even on a machine with 64GB+ of RAM

Wrestling with some ridiculous Play offline bounce stuff right now as well, not the exact same issue but with a similar solution (disabling streaming from disk). I threw HWS spiccatos into my template to use for layering in an upcoming project, and while testing everything out started getting pops and clicks in any offline bounces. The best part is it's not even all of the patches-- it is specifically happening with the viola, cello, bass spiccato patches. For example, the viola staccato patches offline bounce fine!

This was originally happening in Logic, but I verified the same behavior in Cubase 10 with the Play VST. I tried hosting Play in VE Pro as well-- same exact behavior, pops in clicks on the same patches with offline bouncing. I even completely re-installed HWS just in case.

Disabling streaming from disk fixes the problem, but as Peter pointed out this incurs ridiculous RAM usage once you have more than a few patches loaded.... luckily I think I will get away with keeping just the HWS spiccatos I need in my template and take the RAM hit, but it has made me think twice about including any EW Play products in the future.

Might be worth dropping EW Support an email to see if they can help. Are you using VST or AU versions?
Happens with both VST/VST3/AU in Logic/Cubase sadly. I’ll send an email to EW just to report the behavior—problem is I’m getting going on a project and won’t have much time to sit around troubleshooting!

Happens with both VST/VST3/AU in Logic/Cubase sadly. I’ll send an email to EW just to report the behavior—problem is I’m getting going on a project and won’t have much time to sit around troubleshooting!

It isn’t happening here with AU in Logic or VE Pro 7, but it is with VST in VE Pro 7

Yeah as far as I can tell the AU version is working fine here, just the VST has the issue. Happy to try any specific files if you want to send them my way, although my HWO is all on a slave PC so not sure I'll be of much help in this instance for testing of AU.

I haven't tried it since I ran the tests last year, I'll give it another go when I get a mo over the weekend if that's useful. I don't remember seeing a Play update fix this, though, and given that they've shifted development over to Opus now, I doubt we'll see a fix if it's not already been resolved.

Top Bottom