What's new

EW Play samples cut off when using bounce in place/offline bounce in LPX

PeterBaumann

I'm just setting up a new template for my samples, and have run a quick test which is throwing up an odd bug.

Systems specs are in the description, but basically my PC Slave machine is cutting off the tails of EWHO samples in Play 6 when hosted in VEPro 6 (latest versions of both). They play back fine in real time, but as soon as I either Bounce in Place or Bounce the Project offline, it cuts each sample. This doesn't happen with MA1 in VEPro on the same machine, which makes me think it's something specific to the play engine?

There is no additional processing within LPX on the host machine. Reverb is turned off in Play on the PC.

Is this a known bug, or has something not quite been set up right at my end?

Attachments

• Str Gold Full Strings Short Full Str Pizz TEST Project Bounce.mp3
    319 KB · Views: 15
  • MA1 Spiccato TEST Project Bounce.mp3
    319 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I've just run another test, and it's definitely an issue with Play. Albion Tundra exports fine. I've just tried a 6 horn sustain patch and it's buggy too. 6FH Offline/BIP file vs Realtime attached below, as well as the exact same midi and automation on a Tundra EVO Vral Patch which works fine as an offline bounce.

Attachments

• EWHO 6FH Sus Test Offline.mp3
    319 KB · Views: 8
  • EWHO 6FH Sus Test Realtime.mp3
  • Tundra EVO Vral Offline Bounce Test.mp3
Latest version of Play on the Mac Host running a cello sample from Goliath does not cut off the samples early, so it's just when in VEPro 6 & Play 6 on the PC over ethernet to LPX on the Mac.

I've just done another test this morning, and it also happens when samples the Goliath samples are hosted in VEPro on the Mac. So if inserted as a PLAY plugin in Logic, I can bounce offline and in place, but if inserted within VEPro either locally or from the PC Server, I get the dropouts. Freezing the track also results in dropouts.

Is anyone else able to replicate this?

Last edited:
So it's an issue with Play in VEPro 6 when it's hosted as a VST (on PC I think this is the only option, and on Mac if I select VST). How odd...

Realtime and offline, bounce in place, freezing all work fine if the Play instance is AU. If I have the exact same setup but as a VST plugin, I get the dropouts.

Attachments

• Random Play Synth as AU Plugin in VEPro (Local Offline Bounce).mp3
    396.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Random Play Synth as AU Plugin in VEPro (Local Realtime Bounce).mp3
    396.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Random Play Synth as VST Plugin in VEPro (Local Offline Bounce).mp3
    396.8 KB · Views: 0
Final test was to run the local AU vs VST test on my Macbook Pro (up-to-date installs of all the software there too) and I'm getting the same results there. Really stumped now.

Please can someone try and run the test at their end to see if the issue can be replicated? @Ashermusic?

Final test was to run the local AU vs VST test on my Macbook Pro (up-to-date installs of all the software there too) and I'm getting the same results there. Really stumped now.

Please can someone try and run the test at their end to see if the issue can be replicated? @Ashermusic?

Will try this out in a few hours Peter.

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 7.47.23 AM.png ted OK, as promised I did this. I used a Logic project with HS Diamond in VE Pro 7 on my Mac that I posted before for a Henry Mancini string sound. First, I bounced the whole project, and it is flawless.

Second I chose "Bounce and replace all tracks." A pic of the bounce in place waveforms shows you that again it is flawless.

Last edited:
Bah - I don't understand :sad:

So that's with Play loaded as a VST in VEPro? So odd that I'm getting the same issue on both my iMac and Macbook Pro in both VEPro 6 & 7.

Just to check, was your method any different than this:
  1. Open VEPro 7 Server (64-bit) on your host Mac
  2. In an empty project, click Add New Instance
  3. Right click>Insert Plugin>VST>EastWest>Play (Stereo)
  4. Add instrument and set the Midi Channel to 1 in the Instrument Panel Pop-out within Play 6
  5. Right click>Insert Plugin>AU>EastWest>Play (Stereo)
  6. Add instrument and set the Midi Channel to 2 in the Instrument Panel Pop-out within Play 6
  7. Set each VEPro plugin in to Midi Port 1 & Midi Channel All in the VEPro interface
  8. Open LPX>Create a New Project>Add Track>Software Instrument>VEPro (Stereo)
  9. Under the Track panel on the left, select MIDI Channel 1, then hit Cntrl + Return on a Mac to create another track with the next midi channel.
  10. Record some midi chords, duplicate the region onto the 2nd track and shift the region to the end of Track 1's midi track so there's no overlap and it'll be clear which is which when it's bounced
  11. Right click>Bounce in Place. Alternatively, Bounce the Project, or freeze the track. The result should be the same regardless of method, as long as it’s not a real-time rendering.
  12. If you get the same results as me, the first version (the VST instrument) will have weird dropouts, and the second version (the AU instrument) will have bounced fine.
^ This is what I've sent to the guys over at EW.

Bah - I don't understand :sad:

So that's with Play loaded as a VST in VEPro? So odd that I'm getting the same issue on both my iMac and Macbook Pro in both VEPro 6 & 7.

Just to check, was your method any different than this:
  1. Open VEPro 7 Server (64-bit) on your host Mac
  2. In an empty project, click Add New Instance
  3. Right click>Insert Plugin>VST>EastWest>Play (Stereo)
  4. Add instrument and set the Midi Channel to 1 in the Instrument Panel Pop-out within Play 6
  5. Right click>Insert Plugin>AU>EastWest>Play (Stereo)
  6. Add instrument and set the Midi Channel to 2 in the Instrument Panel Pop-out within Play 6
  7. Set each VEPro plugin in to Midi Port 1 & Midi Channel All in the VEPro interface
  8. Open LPX>Create a New Project>Add Track>Software Instrument>VEPro (Stereo)
  9. Under the Track panel on the left, select MIDI Channel 1, then hit Cntrl + Return on a Mac to create another track with the next midi channel.
  10. Record some midi chords, duplicate the region onto the 2nd track and shift the region to the end of Track 1's midi track so there's no overlap and it'll be clear which is which when it's bounced
  11. Right click>Bounce in Place. Alternatively, Bounce the Project, or freeze the track. The result should be the same regardless of method, as long as it’s not a real-time rendering.
  12. If you get the same results as me, the first version (the VST instrument) will have weird dropouts, and the second version (the AU instrument) will have bounced fine.
^ This is what I've sent to the guys over at EW.

Ooh, not sure I loaded the VST, might be the AU. Let me try again.

Well that at least means it's not a dodgy setting somewhere on all of my systems :elephant: Thanks so much for checking.

Surprised no-one else has reported it as I think you have to use the VST version if running it from a PC Server over to a Mac Host?

Well that at least means it's not a dodgy setting somewhere on all of my systems :elephant: Thanks so much for checking.

Surprised no-one else has reported it as I think you have to use the VST version if running it from a PC Server over to a Mac Host?

Correct. I no longer own a slave PC, but if I did, I would be complaining.

I also have this issue for several years. My entire EW Hollywood Orchestra is unusable as it's hosted on my slave machine and I use Logic Pro X. I've submitted a support ticket and hoped with every new version of Play it would be fixed but alas no. So I've just moved on and these great samples are collecting dust on my Slave.

I also have this issue for several years. My entire EW Hollywood Orchestra is unusable as it's hosted on my slave machine and I use Logic Pro X. I've submitted a support ticket and hoped with every new version of Play it would be fixed but alas no. So I've just moved on and these great samples are collecting dust on my Slave.

I don't remember seeing this a couple of years ago when I was using aa slave PC, and recording and playback with them was flawless, but then again, I usually create audio from MIDI in my template by assigning the parts to axes and bouncing them in real time to audio tracks with those auxes as the inputs, so I may not have encountered the issue.

Has anyone posted this on the EW forum? It probably will get responded to much sooner there than here.

I had the same problem in samplitude. There are two things I did to fix it. One was to go from Asio - Vip to Hardware option or up the voices in play settings. Not the same daw but it seems to be a vst setup in daws or voices in play.

By the way the settings where you play about with fx and tweak your sounds not the hdd memory cache or cpu one.

I had the same problem in samplitude. There are two things I did to fix it. One was to go from Asio - Vip to Hardware option or up the voices in play settings. Not the same daw but it seems to be a vst setup in daws or voices in play.

Were you on PC or Mac?

Might want to try unchecking "stream from disk" if your rig can manage it. I had some bad sample dropout from HOP that was fixed by doing that. Otherwise it might be completely a bug

Top Bottom